Pinocchio: Platinum Edition

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » March 13th, 2009, 1:28 am

Just got my Blu-Ray of Pinocchio and am looking forward to seeing how it looks on my screen. Hopefully the issues that the El Capitan projection had are not present on the Blu-Ray. Got mine from Target and it didn't have the bonus audio CD like the regular DVD does (does anyone know the track listing for the bonus audio DVD?). It also doesn't have the cool box that Germany gets. Still glad to have it. UPDATE: Have watched a little and it looks great. I like that they didn't edit out the cigars on Pleasure Island. I guess they "made up" for it by having the stop smoking ad on the preview portion of the DVD.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » March 13th, 2009, 3:42 am

Can they get away from the political correctness and just let the old films be?

Isn't Disney getting tired of EDITING its old films to satisfy the latest quack group in California or Middle America?

It's at the point where the last time I saw a few of these films unedited was in the mid-1980s! It's a sad state of affairs.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » March 13th, 2009, 3:51 am

Well, I just said that they DIDN'T edit out the cigars.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » March 13th, 2009, 10:02 am

Yeah,

I should have worded my response better.

(BTW, my beef is not with Christian... Sorry if it came off that way. Read on.)

My frustration is that there is no consistency with Disney's patterns regarding their older films.

They'll make changes to some but leave older, higher-profile films alone.

There are at least 2-3 compilation films and Lady and the Tramp which show signs of being edited to anybody that's watched the original versions which were released on video in the 1980s and used to be shown on Disney Channel.

If you bring this up, Disney will of course deny they made changes or mumble something and shove the issue to the side.

This is not even getting into the changes made to the original Fantasia for the sake of racial harmony!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » March 13th, 2009, 4:08 pm

Well, it could be that the edit-free Pinocchio is a step in the right direction.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » March 13th, 2009, 4:43 pm

It's a step in that there was no way to edit OUT the cigars, at least without cutting out whole scenes.
(Which they don't want to do, with their new Platinum reputation.)

Compare this to some of Leonard Maltin's imaginatively upbeat pro-PC disclaimers on the Chronological Donald sets--
Rather than take Warner's condescending "People were different back then" stance, Maltin's S&P intros excuse some of Donald's more censorable behavior by tailoring it into perfect context of the character: "Even though Donald may take a rifle hunting, we know deep down he's too soft-hearted to use it"...."And I think we've learned by now that whatever behavior you see Donald do, it's probably good advice to do the opposite. :) "

Here, since they couldn't explain why Pinocchio was turning green on secondhand smoke, they simply put cigars into the context of the story:
What could be "good" about smoking, if Lampwick and Honest John do it?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 13th, 2009, 6:07 pm

Christian wrote:Got mine from Target and it didn't have the bonus audio CD like the regular DVD does (does anyone know the track listing for the bonus audio DVD?).
Yeah, it was only bundled with the DVD versions, much like Enchanted's promo for Target. Stinks really, I hate how they can't make up their minds with freebies when it comes to Blu-ray. Anyhoo, here's the listing for the CD: ;)

1. Give a Little Whistle: cliff Edwards and Dickie Jones
2. Hi-Diddle-Dee-Dee: Walter Catlett
3. I've Got No Strings: Dickie Jones
4. Friend Like Me: Craig Toungate
5. Proud of Your Boy: Scott Krippel
6. True To Your Heart: Raven-Symone
7. When You Wish Upon a Star: Craig Toungate

Pretty meh, personally, not sad having missed out on it. Although it's a nice surprise seeing "Proud of Your Boy" get attention, even if has no real connection with Pinocchio. (same could be said for the bulk of the songs, some not even with the original singers, but I digress). Check your PM's for something related to this! :)

Going back to the freebie aspect, here's a picture of the free Jimminy plush you receive if you buy the DVD version at Wal-Mart. See, perfect example. Now that I have Blu, I don't want to buy DVD, it's quite frankly dumb and a waste. Luckily I just won Jimminy off eBay, but still, I have to go through so much for what should've been offered with both formats in the first place. Because really, given the choice I probably would've picked a plush over a cup. The cup is pretty neat though, so it kind of worked out anyway. Lenticular, oooh!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » March 14th, 2009, 2:43 am

Thanks for all the info, Daniel.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 14th, 2009, 6:32 pm

I very much doubt that they would ever touch or edit a Disney classic like Pinocchio in any way.

Cutting a sequence from a little seen film like Make Mine Music, or snipping a shot from Fantasia that the majority wouldn't notice is one thing (however wrong it is) but Pinocchio has been out enough times in cinemas and on home video for even regular fans to work out something was different. Even if this were the case, I'm sure they would have to offer kids and adult collectors' editions...even though Pinocchio is now perceived as a child's product, this is a piece of movie history, and with enough big name fans behind it there would be an uproar.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Aaron_03 » March 14th, 2009, 7:14 pm

Agreed.

I just got my copy of Pinocchio Platinum edition today on Blu Ray. I still haven't got a chance to even open yet because I been very busy.

I got a 3D cup with it. Did Sleeping Beauty have any free giveaway?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » March 14th, 2009, 7:50 pm

Ben wrote:(actually responding to standard generic EricJ material)
Cutting a sequence from a little seen film like Make Mine Music, or snipping a shot from Fantasia that the majority wouldn't notice is one thing (however wrong it is) but Pinocchio has been out enough times in cinemas and on home video for even regular fans to work out something was different. Even if this were the case, I'm sure they would have to offer kids and adult collectors' editions...even though Pinocchio is now perceived as a child's product, this is a piece of movie history, and with enough big name fans behind it there would be an uproar.
Also, Pecos Bill and Goofy were good characters, which would confuse even the most tolerant S&P about smoking messages--
Pinocchio's "bad influences" left little moral doubt, which was more of a defense to leaving in scenes that couldn't be cut in any possible scenario.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 14th, 2009, 8:29 pm

Edited your post above, Eric...you got my quote inspiration way wrong...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Aaron_03 » March 15th, 2009, 4:17 am

One thing I like about the Pinocchio Platinum is that the DVD is inside the case.

The Sleeping Beauty DVD Copy was in it's separate thing.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » March 15th, 2009, 10:22 am

Just found out that we"re getting it on May! :shock:.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 15th, 2009, 4:12 pm

Aaron_03 wrote:One thing I like about the Pinocchio Platinum is that the DVD is inside the case.
I'm nutural on this descioson, on the plus side the front of the Blu-ray case doesn't have a imprint of the glue, on the downside the case will remain the same thinkness. I would prefer if it would be like SB's, so we get the thin case, it come in handy

Aaron_03 wrote:I got a 3D cup with it. Did Sleeping Beauty have any free giveaway?