DC Universe Animated Original Movies

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » March 7th, 2009, 9:35 am

Read it again, Once. WW is PG-13, which is "not-for-kids".

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 7th, 2009, 11:03 am

As for Bruce Timm wanting some of <I>Marvel</I>'s action...? :?

Surely Timm got the head start nearly <I>twenty years</I> ago!

And if you don't want to count the TV series then Mask Of The Phantasm and its direct-to-video spin offs are the precursors to all these animated superhero titles.

As stated elsewhere, Marvel may well be winning in the live-action stakes, but when it comes to animation it's always been DC's game, and most of that is down to Timm's guidance.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » March 7th, 2009, 6:15 pm

Ben wrote:As for Bruce Timm wanting some of <I>Marvel</I>'s action...? :?
As stated elsewhere, Marvel may well be winning in the live-action stakes, but when it comes to animation it's always been DC's game, and most of that is down to Timm's guidance.
Point was, they've had series for years, but they're just learning now from Marvel how to get all those bad aborted Jack Black Green Lantern and Joss Whedon Wonder Woman live-action projects out of Warner's system by sharpening their story chops on serious "regular" animated versions instead.

Which Warner/DC wouldn't be doing in the first place if there hadn't been such a new emphasis to get a "real" live-action WW or GL movie jump-started out of bad-idea limbo hell to begin with--
Which they also wouldn't be doing if they didn't have that studio directive to come up with that live-action Justice League movie to match Marvel's live-action Avengers, and get all the individual characters figured out first.

(Which Marvel themselves is at the same time trying to hash out, by figuring out in cartoon what that stalled live-action Thor movie would look like....
Uh, you do know what DTV animated LG/Marvel has announced next, don't you?)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » March 7th, 2009, 7:32 pm

All good points, but DC still had the first few direct-to-video movies out there with a couple of Batmans plus a Superman one (OK, Brainiac Attacks was awful, but still...! ;) )

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » March 7th, 2009, 8:29 pm

Marvel animation doesn't even compare to the projects Bruce Timm has headed.

No need to kid yourself about that one.

As far as live-action, both companies have had mostly mediocre to awful films produced.

I can count on one hand the number of live-action hero films that are GOOD adaptations AND GOOD films, period. The rest I think people are kidding themselves about and they just don't understand the concepts of these characters. That's typical when the filmmakers and the audience at large haven't read the source material.
Randall wrote:All good points, but DC still had the first few direct-to-video movies out there with a couple of Batmans plus a Superman one (OK, Brainiac Attacks was awful, but still...! ;) )
Face it, Superman is a good character but tough to write today because most people are cynics and Superman was meant to be an uplifting character. Writers by and large don't understand uplifting characters. Especially ones that are by historical definition super boyscouts.

Both Batman and Superman are overexposed in media along with Spider-Man and Wolverine (one of my least favorite characters). Like most characters that are over 10 years old, they've been in far more bad stories than good ones. I'd say it's about 1 writer in 10 that really "gets" these characters.

Frankly, what I've enjoyed most about Justice League Unlimited and Batman: The Brave and the Bold is the chance for the secondary characters to shine. Plastic Man, The Question, Supergirl, and others have finally had a chance to shine in a media that's treated them with far more respect than comics have for decades.

That's a big part of the fun in looking forward to new episodes for these team-up shows.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 7th, 2009, 8:43 pm

GeorgeC wrote:what I've enjoyed most about Justice League Unlimited and Batman: The Brave and the Bold is the chance for the secondary characters to shine. <snip> The Question
Oh yes, definitely. I also liked what they did with Blue Canary!

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » March 7th, 2009, 11:50 pm

You mean "Black" Canary, Dan.

'Sokay.

I get punchy and make a lot of typographical mistakes when I get tired! :wink:

And they did a nice job with her...

Classic costume, even.

Nothing beats fishnets! Rooooowwwrrr!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 7th, 2009, 11:58 pm

Oops, maybe I was thinking of her eyes? ;) They are blue, aren't they!?

I heard she's set to make an appearance on the Brave and the Bold, something to look forward to! Hopefully they do a go job on her like they did on JLU. Next to Hawk Girl she was my favorite... but that's beside the point. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » March 9th, 2009, 10:25 am

eddievalient wrote:Just out of curiosity, Once, how can you only have one segment of it? I was under the impression that instead of one feature length film, the dvd had two shorter films (being a Hulk fan, this is most definitely on my list of stuff to see). Did they release them seperately where you are?
Well... uh... not really,I have seen it in *other* ways...,should I see the Thor one too? :D.
Randall wrote:Read it again, Once. WW is PG-13, which is "not-for-kids".
EricJ said that he whouldn't add *and* so I thought that Wonder Woman isn't PG-13 rated :).
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » March 9th, 2009, 9:14 pm

...except that he went on to say that it WAS.

Anyhoo, moving on...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 10th, 2009, 11:07 am

Yes, <I>please</I> moving on...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by OriginalGagBonkers » March 10th, 2009, 11:17 am

Sounds promisining...I might rent it before I buy the DVD of it.

GeorgeC

Next after GL -- Batman/Superman: Public Enemies

Post by GeorgeC » March 18th, 2009, 3:53 pm

http://news.toonzone.net/articles/28923 ... ic-enemies

Surprised to see nobody has posted this here already... The news has been officially broken for over a week now!

The next DC OVA is based on the first storyarc of the Batman/Superman comic called, "Public Enemies." I repeat, this is the NEXT DC animated film after this summer's Green Lantern movie.

It's an okay story but the real draw to that comic was the artwork of Ed McGuinness (sp, I know!). Jeph Loeb has never been more than so-so as a writer in my book and it's really been the collaborations with Tim Sale and Ed McGuinness that have made his stories shine.

While I'm not up for yet ANOTHER Batman or Superman film (we haven't had tons of those two animated already???), at least the story might have an interesting visual sheen to it. McGuinness has a really cartoony style that reflects American and Japanese influences. We'll see how well it translates to a film that has a tight budget....

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Next after GL -- Batman/Superman: Public Enemies

Post by EricJ » March 18th, 2009, 4:38 pm

GeorgeC wrote:While I'm not up for yet ANOTHER Batman or Superman film (we haven't had tons of those two animated already???),
Yeah, whatever did happen to the CN "World's Finest"?--
Albeit that was back before Warner became more serious about trying to resurrect Wolfgang Petersen's live-action "Batman vs. Superman"

(Told ya--Nowadays, it's all about the Dress Rehearsals.) :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » March 18th, 2009, 10:42 pm

World's Finest was very good, wasn't it?

Public Enemies was perhaps the most readable of the Superman-Batman comic, but that's not saying much. That series devolved into total muck under loeb's pen. (I loved his Superman For All Seasons, but his other stuff I've read has been mediocre to awful.) But at least Public Enemies was reasonably logical and fun to read. It'll be nice to see the McGuiness style brought to animation.

However, there are SO MANY other DCU stories I would rather see get the movie treatment! Judas Contract is number one, though that project looks abandoned for now. I'd also suggest The Great Darkness Saga, Flash of Two Worlds, Crisis on Earth-2 or 3 or S, The Golden Age... I could go on. Of course, economic realities do count for something, so we get more Supes and Bats. If Wonder Woman and Green Lantern are financial successes, we'll have more of a chance to get non-Big Two stuff.

So buy WW and GL!!!! ;)