Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » November 13th, 2004, 5:29 pm

Agree with you on the Short film.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by SPACEHERO55 » November 13th, 2004, 5:45 pm

Well GeorgeC I really enjoyed it a lot and I would love to see a worthy sequel done. In my opinion it was an all around great film. I really dont know what you mean that it's been done before. It was an original take on the Superhero gerne. Im a long time comic book reader myself and I found The Incredibles a fresh take on Superheroes.

Can you name one thing that had a story that was like The Incredibles? Sorry if Im being a bit deffensive about it I just really liked it a lot and it has since become my all time favorite animated movie.

As far as a sequel is concerned well it's all irelevant. It a sequel is even made Disney will screw it up. I would rather see no sequel than a bad sequel. I pray they dont turn this into a direct to video 2D cheapquel or a bad animated tv series.

Ronald C
Im a Superhero, what could happen?

Banned
Banned

Post by Special_Ed » November 18th, 2004, 12:46 am

I've seen it now. I need to see ita few times to really rank it but rom 1 viewing I rank it ater Bug's Life and TS2, ahead of Nemo and maybe MI. I liked it but not as much as I thought I would. I thought it lacked a lot of the wit and humor of the other pixar films but it was still good. Not much objectionable content either.

The cummupence for Syndrome was very obvious (I saw it coming just moments ater he appeared in his super suit.) I also saw a "surprise" endng with the baby having powers too, however that whole sequence seemed a little disjointed on the first viewing. It felt a little tacked on. I want to know what happened to Mirage too.

It's the best animate film I've seen this year but when I left the theater I was sad. I feel that this could be Pixar's peak. I have a dreadful feeling that Cars will bomb big time. Not one person I've met is interested in this film and the trailer stank. This would have probably worked right after a Bug's Life but not now. Son't be surprised if Pixar's last film with Disney ends on a sour note. It might get business just because it's Pixar, but it may not get as much as we've come to expect. I'm not seeing a blow away hit like all the other Pixar flicks.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 18th, 2004, 6:17 am

Seeing this tomorrow (out in the UK from Friday).

Guessed the "baby super powers thing" even before Ed blew this plot point for me. ;)

I also think that Cars - while it may not bomb - will be Pixar's first less than stellar commercial release.

Banned
Banned

Post by Special_Ed » November 18th, 2004, 7:16 am

I'd already seen that baby thing posted on here somwhere before so I didn't see it as a big deal. Besides, it does nothing for the plot. All the powers Bird gave the family fits who they are (mom pulled in all directions, hyper boy, invisible girl, strong dad) the baby's powers don't fit in the pattern. You'll see...

I don't have a problem with the baby having powers. It just seemed upon first viewing that whole scene where they are shown felt tacked on at the end. Let me know what you think, Ben.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by macontosh2000 » November 18th, 2004, 8:34 am

Special_Ed wrote:I'd already seen that baby thing posted on here somwhere before so I didn't see it as a big deal. Besides, it does nothing for the plot. All the powers Bird gave the family fits who they are (mom pulled in all directions, hyper boy, invisible girl, strong dad) the baby's powers don't fit in the pattern. You'll see...
SPOILERS

Jack Jack's powers sorta fits who he is, he is a shapeshifter which can change into anything at any second and babies attitudes are like that, one second they can be happy and the next second they can could be a bad mood for no reason.

And just wondering is there a way we can use spoiler tags on this forum?

Banned
Banned

Post by Special_Ed » November 18th, 2004, 9:28 am

I guess that makes sense but it doesn't seem as strong as the other powers.

Here's a spoiler too.

When Syndrome just appears at their home and steals jak jak it just felt so out of nowhere and not a good out of nowhere either. There could have been a way to get syndrome there that wasn't as tacked on. From a first viewing it feels tacked on. I'll see how i feel after the dvd is out.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » November 18th, 2004, 5:56 pm

I was just thinking... The jak jak part at the end... well, anyone could see that coming a mile away... But... You'd think that Pixar wouldn't go for such an obvious route.

And then i thought "Well... Jak Jak's powers at the end were SO crazy and random". So maybe Pixar's suprise wasn't meant to be jak jak having powers, but the powers jak jak HAS.

I know when me and my friends were watching it, my friend was like "WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?!" And frankly, so was I. Especially his little transformation.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Incom » November 19th, 2004, 12:51 am

I kind of got the impression he was a shape shifter. Like his body is made of unstable molecules (keeping with Fantastic Four physics) or something.

But it was cool that Syndrome had the same look on his face.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by mr. squarepants » November 19th, 2004, 1:40 am

SPOILERS AHEAD

In a way, I wish that Syndrome had not died. After all, Buddy just wanted a hero and to do good, when he was a boy. I wish that the Buddy inside Syndrome had broken free again and had turned out to be a major hero in the film.

Yeah, it's cliche. I know. Still, I believe that it's not who does something first, but who does it best.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Syndrome had to die.

Post by SPACEHERO55 » November 19th, 2004, 2:43 am

Syndrome had to die. He killed all those Superheroes, just so he could pretend. He was directly responsible for the deaths of dozens of superheroes.

Ronald C
Im a Superhero, what could happen?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 19th, 2004, 8:28 am

Just five or six more hours and the torture will be over.

I can finally READ this friggin' thread and not worry about those spoliers above!!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » November 19th, 2004, 11:02 am

hahaha.
Just go NOW ben! YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Negative Review

Post by askmike1 » November 19th, 2004, 5:41 pm

AVAST YE MAITEYS, SPOILERS BE AHEAD

Caution: If you don't like negative reviews of Pixar films, stop reading now :wink:

Before I begin, I'd like to say that there were funny parts in the film. Especially the line "your not affiliated with me" and the whole argument between Mr. Incredible and the reporters.

That said, I really think Pixar is on a downward trend. I mean, bringing suicide into a FAMILY film? In fact, were it not for the baby and the kid with the bubble gum, I doubt kids would have liked this at all. The film brought in too-mature images of suicide, plane crashes, and something destroying a city (can't anyone leave NYC alone? destroy LA for a change).

The animation was nice but not stunning or extremely realistic (at least for the characters). The animation here pales in comparison to the Cheese Doodle scene in Toy Story 2. In fact, I think all was a lot more realistic than the Incredibles.

The score was there, nothing amazing, and the credits were boring without any outtakes. Edna was definately the best character, but she seemed pointless. If they brought her in again at the end, it would be a different story I guess.

The plot was SOOOOO predictable. The end of the movie was given away when Edna gave Mr. Incredible the cape speech. <sarcastic>Hmmm, I wonder how Sydrome is going to die?</sarcastic>

Boundin' was WAY too cutsy and musical. I was wondering when I'd see Davy Crocket or the Country Bears. The characters in Cars look too generic and unrealistic (even thought the backgrounds look great). Going too much for the boy demographic.

My Rating: B
-Michael
[url=http://www.mainstreetword.com]MSW[/url]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » November 19th, 2004, 6:29 pm

It was PG, which means parental guidance recommended. I just re-watched The Iron Giant (also PG), and there were several curse words in it!

And forget suicide! What about all the death and killing in the film? Why give those a pass?!

Just because it's a cartoon doesn't automatically make it family friendly for all ages of the family!