DVD and Blu-ray deals

Print, Music, Theater, Online, Games and other Merchandise
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Sunday » April 5th, 2009, 12:26 pm

Very much so! I picked up Panic In the Streets and Zorba the Greek just last week and I'm thinking about going back for more. Sad about the high list price, though, since they're usually *still* so blasted expensive despite almost half off the original tag. (I buy secondhand media 95% of the time so I'm not used to forking over so much money per item. Still some great deals for retail shoppers!)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » April 5th, 2009, 3:51 pm

Gotta warn you guys... A lot of the stuff may seem like a good deal at first, but make sure you look at the list price, as in many cases you won't be saving much more than you would at most discount retailers. A good deal of it is TV and anime box sets that were already overpriced to begin with.

I know this cause I had the pleasure of pulling and labeling the majority of that stuff at my store, and naturally I scanned the list first to see if there was anything worthwhile. :P

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » April 5th, 2009, 5:49 pm

I'm aware of those prices -- I do a lot of price comparison shopping.

On some of the elite DVDs -- like the Criterions --, the red tags are definitely falling into reasonable territory.

It's not that bad...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » April 5th, 2009, 10:33 pm

Nah, there were actually a lot of single disc films on the list that were pretty good deals. It's mainly the box sets you need to be careful of.

Oh... And be sure to check the clearance section next time you go there. Around this time of year most of the clearance items (which may include some DVDs) get marked down to a dollar (so they can get rid of 'em). Last year I found a few old anime titles there.

GeorgeC

40% off on Blu-Ray discs at Barnes & Noble

Post by GeorgeC » April 13th, 2009, 3:06 am

B & N Bookstores have sales going on now on Blu-Ray discs.

There aren't a lot of animation discs on sale during this period but I saw practically all the Marvel animated films on sale from Ultimate Avengers 1 & 2 through the recently released Hulk Vs. two-film disc.

Remember, 40% off takes these films down to just under $20 per disc. Not a bad deal!

About the only live-action film I saw that I cared for on sale was The Adventures of Baron Munchausen. While the film itself is hi-def, the features are ports from the DVD edition and are standard def. Oh well, better than a featureless disc like so many BD titles are!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » April 13th, 2009, 4:47 am

FWIW, Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within is part of the '40% off' sale .. it's listed under 'Sci-fi & Fantasy'.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » April 13th, 2009, 6:03 am

BUT..... It's a bad film!

As much as I dislike the Marvel animated shows in general, Final Fantasy is even worse! They've never made a good FF animated film, period.

Yeah,

people will buy what they want.

I just could never get past how creepy the people in the Final Fantasy film looked. Lifeless marionettes...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » April 13th, 2009, 1:59 pm

Hence, the 'FWIW' (For What It's Worth) .. :wink:

FF:TSW does feature gorgeous environments and production design, IMHO. The storytelling is very 'japanese', but still not as compelling as some of the games' stories. The characters are very 'uncanny valley', though, I agree.

-------

By the same token, Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow is also on sale (though, I'd already managed to buy that one even cheaper than their price, awhile back).

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » April 25th, 2009, 4:25 am

Discounts at Borders on Clearance DVDs & CDs are up to 50% now. This also includes select Blu-ray titles.

I finally got Justice League: The New Frontier a while back on BD!

The bloodletting hasn't stopped yet... Looks like the Borders in my area are safe for the moment, though.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

50% off DVD sale at Barnes & Noble

Post by Sunday » May 14th, 2009, 4:37 pm

Guess the Borders event finally got to 'em.

http://video.barnesandnoble.com/u/DVD-S ... 2Pid=14842

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 14th, 2009, 4:59 pm

Wow...that's some serious savings! :)

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » May 14th, 2009, 10:34 pm

Meh.

I like the sales that I've seen at Borders better!

There's a heck of a lot more there on sale I'd buy in a heartbeat IF I had the cash! :cry:

Usually, the discounts aren't that great at B & N. You also have to pay $20 for the 1-year B & N customer discount card which gives pathetic (10% off) discounts. I generally get 2.5 times better than that with the FREE Borders Rewards card. The B & N chain is, however, in generally better financial shape than Borders is. I've heard stories of Borders being closed in various towns. (Old story yes, but it's one that's continuing to develop...)

The economy is really hurting for printed paper goods now...

One area where B&N does beat Borders where I live is in the remainder items sales. I've gotten great deals on books that I was interested in but didn't want to pay $40 for.

It's been a long, long time since any area Borders has had a book or two that interests me in the remainder area.

GeorgeC

Price cuts on a ton of Disney & animated titles

Post by GeorgeC » July 6th, 2009, 9:07 am

If you haven't been to Wally World lately,

You might want to check out the video section there again.

There are a ton of DVDs on sale at very good prices right now.

A bunch of classic Disney live-action titles have been cut to $9.00. These include Treasure Island (1950), The Love Bug, Darby O'Gill and the Little People, and a bunch of others.

On the animation side, there are also a number of Disney titles cut to $14.99 but off-hand I can't remember the names.

Also cut to $10 are the first two SuperFriends disc sets. Selling for $9 is the second season of Justice League Unlimited which is one of the best action/adventure series made, period.

Cut to $5 is Batman: Mask of the Phantasm, probably the best animated Batman film made, and a bunch of other titles including the Jimmy Neutron feature film.

There are definitely a lot of good films available for budget buys that literally cost less than an evening ticket to a summer film. Most of these films are BETTER than what's been released this summer.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Sunday » July 6th, 2009, 9:30 pm

Just checked on it and it says Batman:MotP is fullframe. Has anyone found if widescreen is available at this price in-store?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » July 6th, 2009, 11:10 pm

The dvd I have has fullscreen on one side and widescreen on the other. I imagine the ones in store are the same.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83