Remakes! Remakes! Read all about 'em!

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » April 6th, 2009, 1:08 am

Nevertheless, I need to see it before dishing out too much more criticism of it. And watching bad (and good!) comic book adaptations has long been a hobby of mine.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 6th, 2009, 7:13 am

I have only ever read/seen a couple of The Spirit stories, but liked what I saw. However, even I knew that the minute Miller's name was attached to the film that it would be nothing like the comics.

BUT...I did love the Sin City movie and, while it doesn't represent the comic, I am well up for more of that brand of film. I haven't seen The Spirit yet, based on the bad reviews even from Sin City fans, but I am interested in seeing it and, like the comic or not, I suspect I might like it.

That's still not to say it translates the comic in any decent way, however.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » April 6th, 2009, 5:13 pm

"The Spirit" was actually quite fun in a campy kind of way. But I seem to be one of the only people who thought that.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Sunday » April 6th, 2009, 5:38 pm

Interesting story from late last year... The Spirit which might have been:
But if the world had turned a little differently, if fate had been a little kinder, a “Spirit” feature film would have debuted in the 1980s that would not only have been revolutionary but -- those of us involved in it were convinced -- a huge hit, possibly the first $100 million-grossing animated feature. And the futures of such filmmakers as Brad Bird, Gary Kurtz, John Musker and John Lasseter might have taken alternative paths
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/herocom ... -that.html

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » April 6th, 2009, 11:20 pm

Sigh. That might have been wonderful.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by OriginalGagBonkers » April 7th, 2009, 7:51 am

Man, It wouldve been perfect for animation. :cry:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » April 19th, 2009, 12:00 pm

I finally saw The Spirit last night. When I put the dvd in, my thought was "It's got Samuel L. Jackson as the bad guy. How bad can it be?" The answer is not bad at all. I thought it was fun in a very film noir kind of way, similar to Sin City. I understand why it wouldn't appeal to the masses, but I liked it. It seemed like Frank Miller was writing the character as if he had been created in modern times and that's why it's different from the comics, but in the context of the film, the changes work. At least from a visual standpoint, the film is a work of art and it ought to be recognized as such. Frank Miller is an artist and he brings an artist's sensibilities to the screen, so it's a shame that he probably won't be able to do any more films (unless, of course, he co-directs Sin City 2).
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Yellow Submarine remake announced

Post by Darkblade » August 19th, 2009, 10:06 pm

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/42106

Okay....This remake thing has gone TOO far.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » August 19th, 2009, 11:13 pm

Note the bit about "upcoming Broadway show"...
I wonder which marketing idea came first. :roll:

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » August 19th, 2009, 11:16 pm

I just read about that on EW. I'm at a loss for words about it.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » August 19th, 2009, 11:42 pm

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by OriginalGagBonkers » August 20th, 2009, 10:47 am

Okay, first Bluth's nimh gets remade and NOW THIS?!?!? Okay Now I am offically angry at Disney.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » August 20th, 2009, 4:02 pm

Well, technically they're not "remaking" NIMH, since it was based off a book.

And me and my brother were joking about the casting that they might do for this movie last night. For some reason, I get a kick our of the idea of them casting Bill Nighy as the King of the Blue Meanies. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » August 21st, 2009, 2:45 am

And I shudder to think how Jeremy H. Boob will be reimagined by those who didn't know he was supposed to be a parody of Jonathan Miller...

(But Bob's only doing it for the Soulless Broadway Marketing Tie-in, so with any luck we'll get a Blu-ray squeezed out of it.)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 21st, 2009, 12:21 pm

My almost-speechless comments on this on our front page:
http://animated-views.com/2009/lots-of- ... -goodness/

It's not going to be anything like the awesome Beatles Rock Band clip I linked to...check out what a fantastic Beatles movie <I>could</I> be like.