DC Universe

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 7th, 2005, 2:08 pm

Oh my G-d, I'm really, really sorry! I totally forgot!! I never would have thought of it otherwise. Sorry. :oops: :oops: You've got a cool name though, initials don't matter.

I remember Superman IV coming out: The Quest for Peace or something? I think I had the paperback book... I can barely remember what it was about.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » June 7th, 2005, 3:42 pm

I wish Singer would just re-start the franchise. Maybe he was afraid to, seeing how much of a classic the first Superman film is.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 7th, 2005, 5:39 pm

I have a cool name?? Never thought so, but there ya go! Thanks! :)

The Superman movie has been under many guises. Before Singer (or BS), it was going to be a total revamp story, with Supe's origins explained all over again (and Lex Luthor was to have been Kryptonian too - how is THAT for a revamp, and total botching of the story?).

As it went on, a fair few thought that it had already been done to death, and the Donner film is still contemporary while being a classic.

Besides, the whole Smallville (which I love, don't get me wrong) thing is basically doing it all over again and there's only so much "from a distant star called Krypton" anyone can take!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » June 7th, 2005, 6:01 pm

Um, I have those initials. :(

How does your foot taste, Voilet? :wink:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 8th, 2005, 2:17 pm

BAD! :wink:

Anyway, I always thought that whole "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tommorow" Superman imaginary death story from the mid-80's would make a GREAT film.

BTW let me just reiterate that Teri Hatcher cannot act!!!! :twisted:

(Dean Cain was OK, but too "sensitive" to be a really strong Supe)

And the less said about John Shea (full-head-of-hair-Lex) the better!! :twisted:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by AniMan » June 17th, 2005, 2:11 pm

Okay, I want to put my 2-cents in here, too. The early pictures they have shown us of Superman.. look... TERRIBLE! What the heck is up with the muddy-looking red and muted blue? And the too-small "S" on his chest? Not to mention this Routh guy is just too freakin' young for this part! Come on now! Why are they skewing so young with the casting here? Superman should be played by someone at least in their late-thirties, not their twenties. Then there is the physique or stature of Mr. Routh. IMO, he is just not tall enough nor is he of a large enough build. Supes is supposed to be a big guy; at least Chris Reeve was a tall man and had a fairly imposing build. They didn't need to use any molded suit with him. I'm just very disappointed with the direction they seem to be going with this film. Kate Bosworth as Lois?? :roll: Ugh!

And for the record, I think the X-Men films were great; I place them second only to the Spider-Man films. They have heart, especially the 2nd one, and that makes them stand out from most of the other superhero films. I was truly amazed by how good the X-films were and I surprised that I'm seemingly alone here on this board in that opinion. :cry:
Do. Or do not. There is no try.
---[i]Master Yoda[/i]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 18th, 2005, 4:18 pm

Not that it helps the argument or the situation, but I think, with the casting, that they are skewing young as their eye is on a three-picture (eight to ten year) trilogy and perhaps a franchise (Bats Vs Supes) after that.

They need people who are going to be able to work for that long and still loook "good"! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 21st, 2005, 10:46 am

Not to mention this Routh guy is just too freakin' young for this part! Come on now! Why are they skewing so young with the casting here? Superman should be played by someone at least in their late-thirties, not their twenties.
People said the same thing about Jackman's Wolverine, but what's wrong with a cute leading man? :wink: C'mon, there's GIRLS that watch these films too, you know.

Plus it's about the origin of Supe (like Batman Begins) so yeah, of course he's kinda young. Bale is like 30, isn't he?

How old was Reeve when he first played Clark Kent? :?:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 21st, 2005, 10:58 am

Superman Returns isn't an origin story.

There will be flashbacks to when he first discovers his powers on the farm, but this is basically a follow-up to Superman II, forgetting the flops that were III and IV.

I believe Reeve was 28?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 21st, 2005, 11:16 am

Superman Returns isn't an origin story.

There will be flashbacks to when he first discovers his powers on the farm, but this is basically a follow-up to Superman II, forgetting the flops that were III and IV.
Oh. Well that actually makes me kind of happy, sometimes I think certain films, *cough X-Men 1 cough* waste too much time establishing the characters and where they came from and not enough setting up the plot.

This should be really cool.

I believe Reeve was 28?

That's what I figured. And he did a great job, didn't he?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 21st, 2005, 3:10 pm

And for the record, I think the X-Men films were great; I place them second only to the Spider-Man films. They have heart, especially the 2nd one, and that makes them stand out from most of the other superhero films. I was truly amazed by how good the X-films were and I surprised that I'm seemingly alone here on this board in that opinion

Oh, don't feel bad! :wink: I should have mentioned that I also like the X-films a lot, they're very well done as movies even if they screw up a couple of things. You can't please everyone, it's true. I ALWAYS watch some of X-2 when it's on HBO, (sometimes just to check out one of the hot leads!LOL, J/K) :oops:

I think Singer is awesome as a director, and The Usual Suspects is one of my all-time favorite films. I also liked Apt Pupil. (even though it simplified Stephen King's story a little)

Plus it's so cool that Singer'll be working with Kevin Spacey again (that IS who's playing Lex, right?) just like on TUS!! :)

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

"Keaton always said, I don't believe in G-d, but I'm afraid of him. Well, I believe in G-d, and the only thing that scares me is Keyser Soze."

(dialogue from TUS)

My only real gripe with X 1 and 2--ENOUGH Ian Mckellon!!!! Yes, he's a great actor, but let's see some new villains already! How much more of Ian gravely calling Xavier: "My old friend," can we stomach?? :roll:
Last edited by ShyViolet on June 21st, 2005, 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by AniMan » June 21st, 2005, 3:43 pm

:lol: Well, honestly, I can't get enought of Ian McKellan. I think he is great and love every minute he's on the screen! He's the best villain in the X-Men movies and it wouldn't be the same without him. :P
Do. Or do not. There is no try.
---[i]Master Yoda[/i]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 22nd, 2005, 10:35 am

He's the best villain in the X-Men movies and it wouldn't be the same without him.

There's basically only been one villain--Magneto--so how can you say he's the best? (I don't count Mystique, Sabertooth, Toad or Lady Deathstrike, they're basically scenery.)

I personally thought Stryker and his catatonic son were a lot more interesting than Magneto; (Not that Magneto is that bad.) Stryker was just so conniving and yet somehow charismatic at the same time, also you had to feel a little sorry for him because of what happened to him, but at the same time disgusted at what he did to his son. That conflict was very well done.

I thought Magneto was cool back in X-1, now I'm just kind of tired of him. Maybe it's partly seeing Ian McKellan so much, in three LOTR films and two X-movies (and they even offered him the part of Dumbeldore in Harry Potter--whew!). Plus Magneto never seems to be very sure of what he wants. Whether eliminating humans or "converting" them into mutants, for him it's all good.

I think there needs to be a change.

And that Mystique needs to have more to do than just stand around looking blue and practically naked.

*I will say I very much liked Magneto's short exhange with Pyro (the rebellious firestarter kid) in X-2. McKellan did a great job of projecting different layers, and so did the kid who played Pyro. (don't remember his name.) One of the things I admired most about X-2 was how the film managed to balance all these different storylines and inner conflicts with such amazing subtelty. (not something you usually see in a big-budget movie.) It was a very classy script, for sure. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by fani » June 22nd, 2005, 10:47 pm

Well back to the Supes topic, someone told me Brandon Routh's face seems like the kind face of guys who kidnaps kids...

...ok

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 23rd, 2005, 9:57 am

Well back to the Supes topic, someone told me Brandon Routh's face seems like the kind face of guys who kidnaps kids...

...ok
I think he looks heroic. :wink:

Don't bother with Supes III or IV. The new movie isn't.

Wasn't Richard Pryor in Supes III? :roll: :!: