X-Men: The Animated Series

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » March 10th, 2009, 10:40 pm

Dare I hope that "Pryde of the X-Men" might sneak in as an extra on the final volume (if it actually manages to get that far)? I always liked that pilot. Cheesy, yes, but fun. It might have been interesting to see what stories they would have come up with if that series had gotten made. Ah well, at least there's that cool arcade game.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » March 11th, 2009, 1:33 am

That cover art (especially Volume 2) looks much better!

Pryde of the X-Men is *extremely* cheesy! However, I'm very happy to have it on VHS, just to remind myself occasionally how bad it was. :)

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » March 11th, 2009, 4:00 am

I doubt they'd put Pryde of the X-Men as an extra. Different production company, different style. You can tell Marvel Animation (the original company headed by David DePatie) was still active because of the similar character design still to Transformers and GI Joe which were both Marvel/Sunbow productions.

I DO have the Best Video release of that tape on VHS (SP speed) and it's still in pretty darn good shape.

I haven't played it more than 3 times in close to 20 years.

I have duped it to DVD at least once (probably will do it again at higher-quality capture speed) and it came out fine.

For such a short tape, it actually was pretty good quality.

For my money, the Cockrum X-Men designs were the best ever done for the characters. It's a crying shame Marvel has felt the need to muck with them over the years. Colossus, Nightcrawler, and Storm never looked better...
Last edited by GeorgeC on March 11th, 2009, 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » March 11th, 2009, 4:16 am

Daniel wrote:Updated and finalized versions of the covers for Volumes one and two... drastic change, yes, but nice improvement.
Fans complained about the earlier art, but looks like this one is trying to pitch itself to fans of the original series and comic-art fans--
Volume 1 (of Season 1) features Magneto on the cover, and Vol. 2 (with Season 3) sells the Phoenix Saga we don't get enough of.

Definitely gives the impression that they've caught on there's interest in the item.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Rodney » April 30th, 2009, 8:27 pm

Our official review is up for the first volume: http://animated-views.com/2009/x-men-th ... -volume-1/

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » April 30th, 2009, 9:38 pm

There's been rumors of prepared covers for the final Vol. 3 and 4 (possibly to tie in with X-M:W on disk?), so we at least know it's in the pipes.

And technically, Disney released all of "The Tick", except for, yes, those #%(*&% corporate-snitty episodes...Can't pin those on the Mouse.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » May 1st, 2009, 12:03 am

Um, actually, The Tick had a third season, totally unreleased on DVD to date. That still leaves lots of episodes not on DVD.

Re: X-Men---- Really looking forward to watching these (my sets arrived today, though I have other priorities to get through first). I only caught random eps when they were broadcast, and was often lost in the middle of a 2-parter. It'll be nice seeing them all in proper order for the first time.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Rodney » May 1st, 2009, 2:25 pm

Randall wrote:Re: X-Men---- Really looking forward to watching these (my sets arrived today, though I have other priorities to get through first). I only caught random eps when they were broadcast, and was often lost in the middle of a 2-parter. It'll be nice seeing them all in proper order for the first time.
I hope you enjoy them. I had a hard time watching these in order after they were put in syndication. It seemed like I was watching the same episodes week to week. I watched the first couple of seasons as it came out, but later seasons I ended up watching in syndication. I'm excited about watching those back-to-back, although this method of using cliffhangers was mainly used in the first two seasons. They started using different animation companies for their episodes and realized that delays would cause certain episodes to be aired out of order. It's a shame, but the show was still great.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » May 1st, 2009, 3:23 pm

The first and third seasons were cliffhangers (although S1 takes a while to get going, it starts ramping up with the appearances of Cable and Bishop)--
S2 was a weenie followup-attempt at cliffhanger--basically giving us isolated two-parts with pasted-in running "Meanwhile, in the Savage Lands..." wraparounds--and S4 was nothing but filler.

...As for serial candy, never got better than the major part of S3.