Monsters Vs. Aliens: Mutant Pumpkins From Outer Space

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Monsters Vs. Aliens: Mutant Pumpkins From Outer Space

Post by Ben » April 30th, 2009, 6:33 pm

The Hollywood Reporter wrote:Jeffrey Katzenberg extends contract
DreamWorks Animation CEO signs on for four more years

DreamWorks Animation CEO Jeffrey Katzenberg on Wednesday announced the company's strongest first quarter ever, then said he has extended his employment contract another four years.

Katzenberg's pact was set to expire at the end of the year, but he'll remain CEO through April 22, 2014, with much of his pay dependent on DWA's stock price.

He earns just $1 a year in salary but can earn more via stock grants if he can get DWA shares to trade for a yearly average of about $32.32, and more still if it goes to an average $36.53 for a year.

Based on Monday's close, Katzenberg must get the stock price to improve 72% over three years to reap rewards on the first half of 2.5 million shares and 95% for the second half.

Delivering what one analyst called "stellar results" in the first quarter helped Katzenberg's cause. The stock was up fractionally to $19.07 during Tuesday's regular session but leaped 15% in after-hours trading.

If those share-price goals are met, DWA's compensation committee also might award Katzenberg as much as $8 million more in equity-based compensation in October 2010, according to a regulatory filing.

DreamWorks Animation earned $62.3 million in the quarter, up from $26.1 million a year ago, on revenue that jumped 68% to $263.5 million.

"Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa" gets most of the credit, bringing in $147.5 million in revenue. The movie has reached $595 million at the worldwide boxoffice and has sold 6.7 million DVDs.

Next was "Kung Fu Panda," which brought in $34.1 million during the quarter. The company said DVD sales of that film have reached 14.3 million. "Bee Movie" delivered $21.2 million, and "Flushed Away" was good for $12.2 million.

The company's current release, "Monsters vs. Aliens," contributed $10.5 million, mostly from consumer products. Katzenberg said it's too early to say whether there will be a theatrical sequel, but it's definitely a franchise as "Monsters vs. Aliens: Mutant Pumpkins From Outer Space" is scheduled as an NBC Halloween special in October, and DWA is trying to develop a TV series based on the film.

Katzenberg did, though, express frustration that the "Monster vs. Aliens" film has been underperforming in Germany, France and Italy.

"Over the Hedge" and "Shrek the Third" contributed $8.8 million and $5.3 million, respectively, during the quarter as library and other revenue -- including $9.8 million from the Broadway hit "Shrek the Musical" -- was at $23.9 million. The production cost of "Shrek the Musical" was about $24 million.

Katzenberg said U.S. consumers have paid an average premium of more than $3 a ticket to see "Monster's vs. Aliens" in 3-D and that polling indicates 88% of them thought it was more than worth it. 3-D has accounted for about 60% of the domestic boxoffice for that film.

DWA also benefited during the quarter -- to the tune of $18.8 million -- from of a tax-sharing agreement with Paul Allen, who no longer owns DWA shares.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Rodney » May 1st, 2009, 2:27 pm

I finally saw this last weekend and I enjoyed it. I didn't get to see it in 3D, but I didn't miss the effects. I can definitely see a television special for Halloween. That could be very entertaining.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Zach » May 9th, 2009, 9:40 pm

True, a Halloween special could work for this movie.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » October 29th, 2009, 12:38 am

Watched this tonight. I liked it, but felt that the story seemed a bit rushed. If they'd done an hour special and had more breathing room, it could have been better. Still, I could see MVA working as a tv series (if they're still planning that). They could alternate "save the world" episodes with "sitcom" episodes like Darkwing Duck did. I'd watch.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » October 29th, 2009, 12:44 pm

I'm sorry, but it's clearly marked in Disney contracts:
Stitch has exclusivity rights on 70's-Elvis-costume jokes....It's one of the earned perks of being a Model Citizen. :)
Last edited by EricJ on October 29th, 2009, 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

American_dog_2008

Post by American_dog_2008 » October 29th, 2009, 2:42 pm

I can't wait for Madagascar Christmas!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Zach » October 29th, 2009, 3:59 pm

I missed it last night, because of the World Series, but I'll see it sooner or later.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » October 29th, 2009, 5:06 pm

It was okay...

What really surprised was the quality of the models.

I think the feature models were reused for the special!

Also nice to hear that most of the voice actors were back. Haven't seen the film yet but definitely ID'd Witherspoon.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » October 30th, 2009, 12:14 am

eddievalient wrote:Still, I could see MVA working as a tv series (if they're still planning that). They could alternate "save the world" episodes with "sitcom" episodes like Darkwing Duck did. I'd watch.
I was thinking something like that when watching it. It felt more like a Halloween themed episode of a TV show than an actual special.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."