Star Trek

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » May 4th, 2009, 11:28 am

For those who care, Burger King is going to be selling "Star Trek" glasses, and they look pretty sweet:

http://trekmovie.com/2009/05/02/exclusi ... ommercial/
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » May 4th, 2009, 12:31 pm

And toys! ;)

Yeah, the glasses do look pretty cool, too bad I have no interest. Neat that the toys include voice effect.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » May 6th, 2009, 10:14 am

37 reviews currently at RT...and it's *still* 100% Fresh:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/star_trek_11/
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 6th, 2009, 4:00 pm

I'm tingling...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » May 8th, 2009, 1:49 am

Wow! I went it with some trepidation based on the trailers, but my worries were basically unfounded!

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » May 8th, 2009, 4:49 am

I saw the film on Thursday, too. Went to an 11 PM showing.

I was really surprised they opened it a day early... All the advertising said Friday!

Anyhow, when I went the theater was about 3/4 packed.

All I can say is, if you're anal about Star Trek and not open at all to changes, you'll hate the film...

On the other hand......,

If you realize Star Trek (the original series, not the sequels) never really had a nailed down timeline and a lot of things and dates were open to interpretation, you'll probably have a good time.

Biggest film of the summer? I don't think so. It's good, but it's not that good.

Unfortunately, Star Trek carries a geek stigma and unless word of mouth is good enough to convince people this film is worth their time I have a feeling it'll have a hard time making back its budget. Right now, I don't think it'll do that until it gets released on video within 3 months. That's right -- there are already Blu ray/DVD listings for Watchmen, Terminator Salvation, and (probably) this film for July/August!

I will say it's the best film in the series in a long time. Much better than any of The Next Generation movies and at least as good as Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country.

They did a good job casting this film and all the supporting characters had their moments. Really liked what was done with Uhura and Chekov. If anybody got slighted a bit it was Sulu and Pike but they had their moments, too.

Nimoy's moments in the film are touching as are the impact of parents upon both Kirk and Spock. I would still have liked to have seen some participation by Shatner in the movie even if it was limited to certain lines of dialogue at the end of the film. That's my one big gripe -- I really feel the film almost was a slap in his face in spite of the fact that Pine nailed the Kirk character. Nothing I felt he did was out of character even though he had his own take on it and none of the staccato Shatner naturally does. Quinto's good as Spock, too, but I felt his emotional outbursts were a bit forced. I blame the script and not Quinto's generally excellent performance. It's a bit like watching Nimoy in the original Star Trek's pilot episodes. Once the writers get more experienced with Spock the scenes will be written more naturally. The sequels can only get better from here...

I'm still disappointed in the design of the new "original" Enterprise, though. It's by far the worst art decoration in the film and one of the more disappointing Enterprise designs. I would have preferred something closer to Matt Jefferies' designs instead of this misproportioned Sperm Whale mess. Its interiors are too white, the bridge looks too plastic with what are obviously a lot of cobbled together components like price checkers and magnetic scanners, and the reconceived engineering section is ridiculously industrial and belongs more in an episode of the old "Dr. Who" TV series than Star Trek. Sorry, Ben. No slam intended at you or the Doctor (Tom Baker's my favorite) but the design in this film for the Enterprise was awful!

Overall, it's a good action flick and it is Star Trek whether the ultra-purists like it or not.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » May 8th, 2009, 8:00 am

I'm a big Star Trek fan, but I'm not an "ultra-purist". I'm going to see this today and there's no doubt in my mind that I'm gonna love it. Sometimes you just have to turn the critical part of your brain off and enjoy the ride and that's what most of the reviewers seem to have done. I've been spreading the word about this movie for weeks, doing my part to let folks know it's out there. I think this does have the potential to be huge. As much as I love Terminator, and hope that Salvation does well enough, I think it's going to be a race between this and Wolverine for most of the summer (until Harry Potter comes out in July). I'll post later when I get home from the theater.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by FanamI » May 8th, 2009, 3:24 pm

If reviewers are liking it then it is likely that the film has mass appeal and might have little to offer long time fans.

One of the reasons I like TOS and STTNG is they insert scientific concepts about space and time into the plot. And also challenge very sensitive cultural paradigms. As time goes by the ST movies are getting more about basic morality, action, and general good vs. evil. I feel the last few movies and many of the newer series episodes tell stories you could tell just as well in any generic fictional genera.

The story writing is grossly underutilizing the star trek universe. You have the most sophisticated ships in a vast federation of planets packed with enlightened science officers on a mission of discovery. So what do we do? Chase some guy trying to get back to the nexus, or shoot phasers on one side or another in a family feud, or out smart some evil clone.

Why not dive into some quantum physics, string theory, or some other space phenomena that we are just beginning to understand. Let's ignite the imagination and ask why, or what if. Not in a geeky way but a way that would be fun and engaging to the masses.

Using the star trek universe to deliver testosterone driven character ego study is like asking Steven Hawking to comment on American Idol, or having larry the cable guy present the Nobel Prize in Physics.

I may offer a rebuttal after seeing it but just wanted to share my thoughts. My only hope is that you liked it George :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » May 8th, 2009, 3:33 pm

You may be disappointed FanamI. This is definitely not the moralistic or techy Star Trek. And the story isn't even that great. But after years of Trek letdown it is nice to see a fun Trek movie again. That said, it does have a cool character driven story to go along with all the syfy action stuff.

Definitely what Trek needed right now though. They can add the other stuff later.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 8th, 2009, 3:47 pm

As I have been saying...this movie is <I>all</I> about keeping the none-too anal fans "happy enough" but really about going out and pulling in new people to start over again.

How surprised was I to have my lady Jen actually ask when we were going to see it? Now that's a sign the "come one, come all" marketing is working.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » May 8th, 2009, 3:49 pm

Ummm... I think it was implied that I liked the 2009 film in spite of its flaws?

If you want moralistic Star Trek that's like the Twilight Zone and NOT politically correct and techno-babble/clap-trap then the 1966-1969 TOS is still the best Star Trek, period.

The movies and later TV shows moved away from that. The films that WERE about exploration (Trek I and V) were the worst in the TOS movie series!

I'm sorry but a lot of the weaknesses in later Star Trek TV series and movies were the fact that they got caught in PC and thought techno-babble was a clever way to advance stories instead of actual character conflict and less morally ambiguous issues. Bad storytelling and poor casting choices (the captains of the last two Star Trek TV series especially) didn't help, either.

It is a fun film but I'm worried it's more influenced by Star Wars than Star Trek to an extent...

And yes, SOMETHING should have been done with Shatner's Kirk in the film even if it was limited to a dialogue cameo. I really felt it was crummy that Nimoy's Spock appeared but not a shred of the classic Kirk, period.

Kirk's popularity has increased to the point that he's as popular as Spock... and Nimoy's got it right -- Star Trek ISN'T Star Trek without the interaction of those two characters. I'd argue it's actually a triumvirate since McCoy was the sounding board for BOTH Kirk and Spock, too.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by FanamI » May 8th, 2009, 4:24 pm

Lol, I actually liked 1,2, and 4. Could do without 3. It always amazes me the diversity of likes and dislikes and what people appreciate the most from the stories and I always like to read about it because I feel I gain additional appreciation of different aspects of the movies form other's descriptions.

Star Trek has delivered some engaging characters. In that there is no doubt. I guess I am just a huge fan of the points where Star Trek is bigger than its characters. It achieves that best with its delivery of science fiction and in challenging the human condition. Where the tragedy occurs in my mind is you can deliver engaging characters in any setting but there are so few places you can really dive into deep thought scientific concepts. When a star trek movie doesn't blow my mind I feel its a wasted opportunity. I can see how that bores the masses, but hey the masses got 8 other movies playing to go see at any given time.

I feel I can gather a good feel of where this movie goes from your posts. I will see it and like it for what it is.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » May 9th, 2009, 12:38 am

Warning: Major spoilers ahead!
This was not the be-all-end-all I had hoped it would be. That said, I enjoyed it a great deal and thought it did a marvelous job of setting up a new series. However, the one thought that preoccupied me the rest of the day was that I can't believe they killed the Vulcan homeworld! I thought the climax would find some way for Kirk to prevent Vulcan's destruction and I was shocked when it didn't. That's a pretty ballsy move that firmly establishes this universe as being fundamentally different from the one we know and love. In this case, different is good and I absolutely loved all the in-jokes and references that the writers inserted for the fans (my favorite was "Old Spock" giving Scotty the formula he was looking for, which recalled Scotty giving the engineer the formula for transparent aluminum in The Voyage Home). It was interesting that they set Spock up with Uhura, because it implies she'll be involved in the Pon Farr mating ritual he'll eventually have to go through. Also, it's nice that the film reestablishes the original series' sense that the universe is a dangerous place, something that was lost in the later shows. My one and only gripe is that when Nimoy shows up, his exposition stops the movie dead in its tracks and it takes a few minutes to really get moving again. That could have been handled better. Other than that, it was a great, fun ride and it's nice to know that the sequel is being written as we speak.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Sunday » May 9th, 2009, 12:14 pm

Lots of fun! There are things I wish they'd done and places I wish they hadn't gone, and some of the coincidences and Spock-speak are unfortunate, but that's neither here nor there. There's a helluva lot to like and this is a shot of raw adrenaline in the old franchise.

Thing is, the "fan treatment" moments were actually some of the lower points for me, as I was just energized by how they were stretching their running legs and trying new things. It left me with a slightly bittersweet feeling, that this creation was being weighed down by some of the established material and might require shedding more of it before this new tangent can truly start soaring. From the looks of things it's certainly doing its job of engendering new interest. It's amazing how many folks I've talked to or read who were always put off by Trek and they really, really want to see the movie or left it thinking it one of the better films they'll see all year (with not a few considering checking out previous film entries). lol, none have mentioned an interest in checking the television series as of yet, but hey, baby steps. Baby steps... :)

(Small aside: the music had the jarring style of bursting into the foreground every now again, licensed songs and Giacchino's score both. One moment you're engrossed in the film and suddenly it's "Hello I'm the soundtrack! I don't think you were listening to me earlier! Alright, now back to your regularly scheduled movie..." Just a very, very minor quibble, if a bit of a surprise considering the composer's history.)

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » May 11th, 2009, 1:50 pm

TOS Blu ray movies update...

Apparently, at some of the discs were released recently in Europe and people aren't happy about the video quality...

Having seen the films over the years on VHS and having heard about the problems on DVD (I admitted I've only seen a few on DVD and only the later films more recently), I can empathize with this.

For being the so-called "franchise" at Paramount, Trek has traditionally been treated like a red-headed stepchild as far as the feature films are concerned. The original Star Trek TV series generally gets better care than the films as far as video quality is concerned.

Now may not be a good time to upgrade to Blu ray for these movies until Paramount does a proper restoration of the video -- that's if this is the problem The Digital Bits is alluding to.

The Digital Bits is supposedly going to do thorough of the original 6-film TOS set over the next few days.

The general tenor I feel is that this set is going to be far from reference quality for Blu ray...