Battle for Terra

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Team
AV Team

Battle for Terra

Post by Dacey » February 18th, 2009, 5:04 pm

The trailer for "Battle for Terra" is now online and can be found here:

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=52978
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » February 20th, 2009, 9:39 pm

I thought I knew what this was about but I'm obviously mistaken. This has nothing to do with the movie called Planet 51 or is it 54?

So this year we will have 2 movies about humans invading an alien planet?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » February 21st, 2009, 5:07 am

Yep: One from this country, and one written and directed by "Aristomenis Tsirbas and Evan Spiliotopolous".
Guess which one's which.

(Or rather, guess which one is "Delgo" and which one is "Space Chimps".) ;p

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » April 27th, 2009, 9:19 pm

Here are some reviews:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/10009859-terra/

I'm kinda worried that this movie is going to bomb big time. I'm hoping that I'm wrong, since it actually looks pretty good, especially when you consider the budget and all.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » April 28th, 2009, 6:53 am

Wow, how time flies. Can't believe this is opening in the US this week. I just rewatched the trailer and I'm psyched for this film. I have the same level of excitement for this film as I did watching the trailer to Titan A.E. - that's a good thing ;-)

I'll have my fingers crossed that it succeeds at the box office so it gets to Australia sooner rather than later. I'm still frightened that I'll never get to see Delgo.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » April 28th, 2009, 1:55 pm

As things turn out, my theater will NOT be getting this movie on Friday, in the interest of keeping "Monsters Vs. Aliens" in 3-D for another week.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Rodney » April 29th, 2009, 1:40 pm

I liked the idea for this story, but I did not like the design for the aliens. I just could not take them seriously. I think the concept looked very good though.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » April 30th, 2009, 11:27 am

This movie sounds cool, but opening in the same month as Wolverine, Star Trek, Terminator and Up, it's not going to make any money. Pity.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by OriginalGagBonkers » April 30th, 2009, 11:31 am

I argee with Rodney about the story but this, it looks cheesy. Why couldnt they make this a hand-drawn film? Would be more epic that way.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » May 3rd, 2009, 9:35 pm

As was expected, "Terra" was a bomb, but it wasn't nearly as disasterous as "Delgo":

http://boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » May 4th, 2009, 6:09 am

It really seems that the general public isn't willing to check out animated sci-fi or fantasy film. Titan A.E., Treasure Planet, Delgo and now Battle For Terra. I wonder if the distributors of Planet 51 are a little bit worried about their movie. My advice is to continue playing up the humour.

I still think Delgo could have found an audience if it was released in January or February. It seems the same could be said about Terra. I just hope this results doesn't delay the release of the film in Australia.

And just for the record I consider Monsters Vs Aliens more of a comedy film than a sci-fi film. Even if it wasn't as funny as I thought it could be.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » May 4th, 2009, 11:15 am

Nah, "Planet 51" is in no danger at all. They have The Rock in the lead role, and the trailer has been getting big laughs from audiences whenever it plays at a movie I'm going to.

"Terra" was always going to be a tough sell, and many critics weren't sure what to make of it, with most reviews saying that it was too dark and violent for the kiddies. I actually don't think that they should've sold it as a family film at all and gone for a PG-13 like "9" is doing. But maybe that wouldn't have helped.

On the other hand, I firmly believe that "Treasure Planet" could've been a huge hit for Disney if they had released it at a different time and had a more appealing marketing campaign. Unlike "Terra," audiences and critics generally enjoyed that film.

I will be sure to check out "Terra" whenever possible, but I bet that it won't be in theaters. Like I said in an earlier post, it's currently not playing where I am, and with MVA *still* being in the top five, I have a feeling that it's going to stay that way.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Rodney » May 4th, 2009, 11:28 am

I think that Delgo and Terra suffer from the same problem. I think that neither one provides interesting character designs to entice audiences. Both of them look like cheap, made-for-television animated films. I don't think it has anything to do with the genre.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by surfnspy » May 4th, 2009, 12:49 pm

Has there ever been a hit sci-fi action movie in animation?

Maybe Incredibles, but that still seems like more comedy than adventure. Tongue is always firmly in cheek.

In my opinion, live-action action movies ARE practically animated. Transformers, Spiderman, Iron Man. These all feature hundreds of cg shots.

I'm not sure why, but people seem to like their action in live-action and their animation needs to be funny.

I haven't seen Terra yet, but better go quickly before it's gone. Oh, and you may say it's not as big a flop as Delgo, but there really isn't that much difference at the end of the day.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » May 4th, 2009, 1:45 pm

Yes, but the difference is that "Delgo" cost overt $40 million (!) to make, which I highly doubt is the case with "Terra."

Also, I don't think that "Terra's" animation is terribly unappealing. It seems to be on par with stuff like "Clone Wars" and "TMNT" from what I can see.