Print, Music, Theater, Online, Games and other Merchandise
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » April 24th, 2009, 9:02 am

Yep!

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » April 24th, 2009, 3:12 pm

Randall wrote:
Did I mention that Margot Kidder will be there too? Having met Noel Neill last summer, this is a great chance to meet a second Lois in less than a year.

Well, as far as I'm concerned, you'll have met BOTH the live-action Loises that count!

(I'm dead serious -- no joking here. I don't joke about art.)

I've got nothing against Erica Durance personally -- she's by far the best-looking live-action Lois of them all, IMHO --, but I simply can't stand Smallville aka Dawson's Smallville aka When the Heck is He Going to Put On the Cape?

AT any rate.....

Cons aren't about bothering people to death with all the dumb details and detritus of 70+ years. It's about meeting and telling people you enjoyed their work and that it had a positive impact on you.

You never know if these people will be around the next time a con comes to your area. I've had the misfortune of a couple people "dying on me" after I met them at cons. The deaths fortunately happened YEARS after I met them so it's not my fault! :lol: (No, we're not going into the "Death Watch" topic again...)

It happens. People get old and sick. At least I had a chance to talk with them and tell them I appreciated their work and get autographs. They're memories and I don't e-Bay warm memories..

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » April 26th, 2009, 7:03 pm

Maybe we should rename this thread... ;)

Margot was very friendly, and I certainly told her how S:TM was a big nfluence on me. I'll write up more for the site later this week.

So, Teri Hatcher doesn't count as Lois either?

Actually, I think Phyllis Coates was the best Lois, to tell the truth.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » April 27th, 2009, 7:05 am

Oh,

They all count... It's on their resumes!

Phyllis Coates was only on The Adventures of Superman for one season so she almost doesn't count. Noell Neil is the icon from the 1950s because she stuck with it.

I didn't care for Lois & Clark, either. It's a misstep IMHO just as Smallville is. I know there are fans for both shows but I don't feel that either show is particularly well-written to be honesty truthful. Smallville in particular has way too much stunt-writing and fan-service in the name of continuing a show that has long since run longer than it should have.

Again, the name of the show should have been changed to, "When Does He Leave HOME and Wear The Cape?"

To be honest, for all his lengthy run in comics, newspaper strips, and so on, there's probably only about 5-6 years of GOOD Superman stories. The rest is pretty forgettable... That's pretty much true with any other character that's been around longer than 30 years.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 27th, 2009, 10:42 am

I would find it very hard to pick a favorite Lois.

Fleischer's (Joan Alexander) is closes in look to the comics, obviously, but I've a fondness for Noel Neill and Margot Kidder.

Seriously, though, I'm really liking Erica Durance - not only is she extremely easy on the eyes, but she really encapulates the spirit. And the writing isn't that bad...there are some very fun nods here and there to the property in general which are always performed with a nod and a wink.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 30th, 2009, 2:41 pm

Full Fleischer/Famous Studios <I>Superman</I> review:

http://animated-views.com/2009/max-flei ... -1942-dvd/

Love, love, <I>love</I> these cartoons and am actually very proud of this review. :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » May 5th, 2009, 10:14 am

As we talked about the Calgary show in this thread, I thought I'd point out that I posted a write-up of it here:

http://animated-views.com/2009/snoopy-x ... more-11004

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » May 5th, 2009, 11:52 am

Too bad about your Timm experience, Rand, but that's typical.

The guys who are in demand and are slow are very difficult to get commissions from.

I'd love to get a Timm drawing myself but am not holding my breath on getting one that isn't sold through Albert Moy at this point in time.

Timm's sketchbooks are similarly difficult to get and way overpriced in my opinion unless you buy them direct from him ($20 or less) at San Diego. Why he is so stingy on these things and doesn't print more copies is beyond me but that's the way things are. There are tons of other artists who do larger print-runs of sketchbooks that are higher quality that you won't spend $50-$60 or more on the secondary market!

My guess about the whole Timm sketchbook business is that there is a limited audience for "cartooney" look comics and art. A Jim Lee, Adam Hughes, or J. Scott Campbell sketchbook sells way better to more people than a book with cartooney art. That's reflected in the sales of the Batman books... With the exception of Tim Sale's collaborations with Jeph Loebb, the Batman books with animated-style/cartooney art just don't sell well in monthlies. I'd doubt that even the Eisner- and Harvey-winning "Mad Love" sold even 1/4 as many copies as "Hush" (the Jim Lee/Jeph Loeb Batman mini-series) even though the storyline (as it were) for "Hush" was pooh..

I comfort myself with tons of drawings and sketches I've scammed offline as well as books (Batman: Animated is still the king) and magazines with reproductions of his artwork. I have a huge collection of Internet JPEGs with a lesser amount of scanned in drawings. I unfortunately no longer have all the magazines with Timm artwork but still have almost all the scans I did scattered across several Zip discs. Some day, I'll break down and try to get them all compiled into CD-ROMs or DVD-Rs.

Hughes really is a lot easier to reach than Timm since he has a website and Yahoo group. He doesn't usually do direct business, though. His girlfriend handles a lot of that for him and communicates with fans for Adam online. Timm is isolated -- I think on purpose -- so that he can get his TV work done.

GeorgeC

The Rocketeer blasts off from Electric Tiki

Post by GeorgeC » May 6th, 2009, 11:24 pm

http://www.electrictiki.com/classic%20h ... eteer.html

Electric Tiki has a wonderful-looking new Rocketeer statue being released within the next year.

Without reading Tracy Lee's remarks about the design, some details should look pretty obvious to fans of the motion picture...

I've already got the recent bust sculpted by Ruben Procopio so I have no plans to get this myself. I try not to duplicate too often as I have way too many Batman statues as it is!

FYI --- I've seen The Rocketeer DVD reduced drastically in price recently. It's available at most places for under $10 now. If only Disney would do a proper remaster of the film and release a decently extras-packed version on DVD and Blu rayy!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 7th, 2009, 9:11 am

OMG! After years of looking at sclupts that I would dearly love, I might actually have to spring for this one.

If the DVD is selling cheap, could be a sign that a proper edition is forthcoming...since Stevens' death the character has been getting a raise in awareness again, especially with the big book on the way too.

Still hoping that Blu-ray will be the savior for three Disney films that should have gotten the Vista treatment: Rocketeer, Dick Tracy and Evita.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » June 2nd, 2009, 1:38 am

Back to the central topic!

More previews of The Shadow statue being released through SideShow Collectibles for Electric Tiki.

It is shaping up to be a sweet maq! It even comes with a copy of Lamont Cranston's ring!

More pics of the prototype sculpt are posted on Ruben Procopio's Blog --
http://maskedavengerstudios.blogspot.com/

It's looking really good!

I'll kick myself if I don't at least sell blood to be able to get this statue! :lol:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » June 2nd, 2009, 2:07 am

Wow, looking very nice!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 2nd, 2009, 6:28 pm

Yep...that's looking very smart.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » June 30th, 2009, 7:28 pm

Updated look at the Shadow statue...

The final paint master -- http://www.electrictiki.com/classic%20h ... hadow.html

and Herbie!

http://www.electrictiki.com/classic%20toons/herbie.html

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » June 30th, 2009, 11:13 pm

The Shadow's skin tone looks a little orange in the photo, though it may look better in person. Overall, gorgeous statue.

Herbie is adorable, though they may have pushed the squash and stretch a little far.