The Princess and the Frog

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EHH123 » May 9th, 2009, 9:19 pm

OriginalGagBonkers wrote:Did anyone catch what the prince said once he was hit with the book? I couldnt understand what he said... Anyone know?
Of Maldonia.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » May 9th, 2009, 9:21 pm

What cboy said... It was great, truly gave me goosebumps. Loved the callbacks in the beginning. And what we see of New Orleans is nothing short of astonishing. Real feast for the eyes. I already love the villain, he looks like a real baddie - finally! And I loved seeing Tiana in frog form. Just magical and one of the better trailers in recent times.

That was so worth the wait, now to see fifty more times! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by fani » May 9th, 2009, 9:43 pm

The hand-drawn "legacy" montage was incredible:DDD

Now. Apparently Apple.com is supposed to have it? I didn't see it
*insert witty comment*

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EHH123 » May 9th, 2009, 11:03 pm

Here is the trailer. Enjoy!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » May 10th, 2009, 1:02 am

Anticipating the trailer, the thing I was most excited about was hearing pieces of Randy Newman's songs. Hence, I'm a little disappointed. Still, I think the trailer is beautiful and exciting. Some of the animation is absolutely stunning.

On a side note, Dr. Facilier looks like a great Disney villain. I'm very eager to see how the movie ends for him.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Tyler_Legrand » May 10th, 2009, 1:39 am

EHH123 wrote:
OriginalGagBonkers wrote:Did anyone catch what the prince said once he was hit with the book? I couldnt understand what he said... Anyone know?
Of Maldonia.
Oh. I thought it was "I'm not done yet".

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » May 10th, 2009, 3:01 am

Great trailer :D I loved the beginning,something about Tiana reminds me of Belle and Jasmine,and Dr Facilier looks like a great villain.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » May 10th, 2009, 5:42 am

Love it, love it, love it. I'm there, I'm completely sold. Even though no songs were heard, the footage in the trailer that appears song related look great. I'm am super pumped. Bring on the end of the year.

I think it is a great trailer from a marketing point of view. I was concerned that the movie would only appeal to the little girls. What with all the talk of the first black princess. But that trailer with it's focus on comedy really does make the movie appear to be something that all the family can enjoy, adults without kids can enjoy and most importantly that it's a return to the great 90s films from Dinsey.

And while no songs were featured I think the fact that they chose Aladdin, Beauty, Mermaid and Lion King as the introduction would clue the audience into fact that there will be songs.

Have I mentioned how pumped I am. I am like a kid on Christmas morning at the moment.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Princess and the Frog trailer!

Post by chernabog » May 10th, 2009, 5:50 am

Hey everyone, just letting you know that the trailer for The Princess and te Frog is over at comingsoon.net. http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=55318

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by chernabog » May 10th, 2009, 6:39 am

I agree. After years of waiting, Disney is back! I think they kept enough of the film hidden to appear mysterious. Although I would have liked to Disney to have put a lot more into marketing this film up to now, I think they would have ran the risk of looking desperate.

This trailer definitely has a 90's feel about it. It starts with the comedy but has this wonderful uplifting magic about it. The fact that practically every CG trailer is just filled with gags really highlights how emotional 2D can really be.

My favourite shot from the trailer is off the crocodile walking over the tree branch. The way his reflection is visible in the water is really reminiscent of Snow White and it shows the beauty of traditional animation.

Insanely excited about this film, though I may have to head over to America to avoid waiting for the inevitable 5 month long UK release.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 10th, 2009, 6:54 am

Chernabog...I know it's exciting, but your signature image is way too big! :)

I'm confused...Cboy's description of a trailer with a Lasseter interview was nothing like I just saw. Guess he was watching an older preview.

I thought this was quite good: the animation obviously looks stunning, and it was well aimed at multiple audiences. Nearer the time we'll get some music in another trailer, me thinks, as they start to diverse in sending out different trailers for the different demos.

I didn't actually find the "legacy" thing at the beginning nearly as good as it could have been. They plug the 75 years but only show stuff from the last twenty five? This should have been faster and gone for older clips - especially the princess pictures, which is kind of the point. I did like the way "in the tradition of Walt Disney" made it clear this was a hand drawn feature, and as someone said before it does kind of make it feel "new".

From the feel of it, I'm not getting the Aladdin, Beauty And The Beast goosebumps that you guys are...I'm getting more of a later period kind of feel. I did like how the original story is properly referenced on the book ("The Frog Prince")...but not so sure that this isn't a "modern" take on the old story - this is obviously a post-modern take on the story, not the actual story relocated itself.

Which makes me kind of nervous that they could keep going on about the original story/book and keep using that for comedy value instead of finding the emotion and reality in the events that are happening to them. This is actually almost like a <I>sequel</I> story to The Frog Prince, going by the "what happens next" idea as set out in the trailer.

Was quite looking forward to seeing more of Dr Facilier, but I guess they're keeping him back for later. I hope he is a really good villain, but I'm getting a bit of a "faked" vibe from him, which doesn't mean he won't be great but that I hope he doesn't feel like a villain from a Disney knock-off rather than a true Disney villain himself. All that magic swirling cloud/dust and manic laughing is what sub-Disney features used to resort to in order to come over as close to Disney as they could, and it never worked.

My biggest fear - though I do have faith - is that this is the Phantom Menace/Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull version of a Disney classic: full of all the right ingredients - or the kind of ingredients they <I>think</I> we want to see - but none of them gelling together to make a truly classic outing.

Basically, of course, I need to see more than the snap-shots presented here, but I am so willing this to work with audiences I hope it doesn't disappoint those being drawn in by that legacy touch. After this hyper introduction, it's essentially <I>got</I> to measure up.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by robster » May 10th, 2009, 7:02 am

Okay, I teared up. Nuff said!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » May 10th, 2009, 8:25 am

Ain't It Cool News [language warning] has two new, positive reviews of the The Princess and the Frog. For those looking to avoid spoilers, here are the reviews' summaries:
Screenwriting Wizard's Apprentice wrote:I guess the bottom line is that "the Princess and the Frog" is a strong comeback for 2D animation. It is definitely the strongest Disney animated film in years, and although it doesn't surpass masterpieces like "the Little Mermaid" and "Beauty and the Beast," it reminds you why, as a kid, you looked forward to Disney's animated films.
LAshadowman wrote:First, I Loved the movie, in fact I think it's one of the best animated movies Disney has ever made. I enjoy the 3D stuff but 2D just has a certain feeling to it. Even though most the movie wasn't finished being colored the few parts we saw looked beautiful. Can't wait to see what it looks like finished. The story/characters/writing is the highlight of this film though.
Unfortunately, it sounds as if the film's ending may need some work, particularly with Dr. Facilier's conclusion. I really hope Disney can make his fate as memorable as what villains such as Ursula and Gaston received. I've read elsewhere that a good fate for Dr. Facilier would involve... [I'm going to hide this, just in case it actually is his fate]
the three-fold law. I don't know much about voodoo. But I think that law would involve Dr. Facilier receiving a curse three times as worse as what he sent out.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 10th, 2009, 8:58 am

Interesting to note a feedbacker or two saying the same "Disney knock-off" comments as I worried about above. And they've seen the film. As I said, that's my main concern, that they are trying to revive a point in time that's been and gone as opposed to focusing on making the film what it needs to be.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » May 10th, 2009, 10:05 am

Cartoon brew is hosting the trailer for those who missed it.

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/

Thats a pretty big spoiler in the trailer!