The Princess and the Frog

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » May 25th, 2009, 11:01 am

Bill1978 wrote:And why does getting married mean that someone like Ariel cannot be a Princess?
...Particularly when she IS a Princess, being daughter #7 of Triton? :P

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 25th, 2009, 11:02 am

EHH123 wrote:It is coming out on December 11.
S'ok EHH123...we've learned to take everything Eric says with a pinch of salt and not to put much stock into his facts. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » May 25th, 2009, 1:54 pm

Bill1978 wrote:Just curious Once, why don't you consider Kida and Eilonwy as princesses? Is it because they are in the Disney Princess line. When I posed the question I wasn't discussing the Princess line, I was looking at the actual character. And the last time I checked Kida and Eilonwy were called princesses, therefore they are real princesses.

And why does getting married mean that someone like Ariel cannot be a Princess? From what I remember the ones you list as princesses, they all married Princes (except Jasmine), theyfore they still retain their title of Princess it's not like they married a King and got upgraded to a Queen?
Kida and Eilonwy are real princesses,but from the Disney Princess those are the most real ones,there's also Tiger Lily,when a prince or a princess gets merried they become a king or a queen and Snow White,Aurora,Jasmine and Ariel got merried in the end.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » May 25th, 2009, 7:37 pm

when a prince or a princess gets merried they become a king or a queen
Guess someone forgot to tell Prince Charles and Prince Frederick of this fact. A prince or a princess keeps title of prince/ess until they ascend to the throne, usually when the King or Queen dies. If we take the British Royal family Prince Charles becomes King when Queen Elizabeth II dies or abdicates. However, all of Charles siblings retain the title of Prince/ess. Charles' kids are Princes and will remain Princes even after they marry. William can become King when Chalres leaves the throne but he doesn't become a King just cause he is married.

And in regards to Disney I don't recall anybody getting married and suddenly being announced a Queen.
Kida and Eilonwy are real princesses,but from the Disney Princess those are the most real ones,
I'm sure if Atlantis or The Black Cauldron had been a massive success finacially that these two would be in the Disney Princess merchandising. I think it's a bit disrepectful (as much as you can be to an imaginary person) to come out and state that those two aren't real princesses. If Tiana's movie flops big time (which I hope it doesn't) I wouldn't be surprised to see her get fazed out of the Princess line and only make sporadic appearances.
Disney has shifted the release date to Thanksgiving '09, thus putting P&F in direct head-to-head competition with Sony's "Planet 51".
They did a similar thing with Anastasia and re-released The Little Mermaid. Which was probably the first time that I was disappointed with Disney's marketing machine. I understand why they did, but it just felt like sour grapes from the Disney camp. I guess that since I always thought Fox should have viewed that move as a compliment to their movie, then Sony should take it as a compliment that Disney might not want their animated movie to succeed. Either way I'll be checking both out, even though I have to wait until early 2010.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 26th, 2009, 9:58 am

Bill...check back...P&TF is not up against Planet 51.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » May 26th, 2009, 10:36 am

Bill1978 wrote:
Kida and Eilonwy are real princesses,but from the Disney Princess those are the most real ones,
I'm sure if Atlantis or The Black Cauldron had been a massive success finacially that these two would be in the Disney Princess merchandising. I think it's a bit disrepectful (as much as you can be to an imaginary person) to come out and state that those two aren't real princesses. If Tiana's movie flops big time (which I hope it doesn't) I wouldn't be surprised to see her get fazed out of the Princess line and only make sporadic appearances..
I never said they aren't real princesses,I said that they are,also Tiger Lily is a real princess.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » May 26th, 2009, 6:20 pm

Thanks Ben for the correction, I was just quoting EricJ's post

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » May 26th, 2009, 8:28 pm

Someone should update IMDb, as they still list P&F's limited LA/NY engagement opening for Wed. Nov 25th--
Not the Dec. 11 wide release, perhaps, but certainly getting more than a modicum of media attention for showing up, an almost unhealthy amount of Lasseter-at-Disney press articles both studio-planted and not, and, for all public-awareness intents and purposes, opening.
(With the same mountain-worth-the-climb frustration by Disney fans in flyover states, who can't get to either coast on opening day, that Fantasia 2000 got on its valuable far-away opening.)

....Unless, of course, it all ends up eclipsed by Sony's quality, eagerly awaited work "with humor that should appeal to parents as well as kids". ;)
(Anyone who thinks that last statement wasn't being ironic or sarcastically discussion-preempting, or getting some retroactive payback for the whole mass-hysteria Alvin thing, please line up to be hit.)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 27th, 2009, 9:52 am

I just love the "should" in their line. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » May 29th, 2009, 12:03 pm

In Spain, the translated title is... "Tiana and the Toad"

Priceless. ;)
Last edited by Daniel on May 29th, 2009, 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Rodney » May 29th, 2009, 4:33 pm

Although from what I can tell, the name would rhyme. Isn't toad being translated as Rana in Spanish? Tiana/Rana has a nice ring to it.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 30th, 2009, 3:22 pm

Why did that make me start thinking of the "Pinky And The Brain" theme...? ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EHH123 » May 30th, 2009, 6:51 pm

There is an article the New York Times just made surrounding the "controversy" of Tania's race. I like it because it goes into depth on how ridiculous it is.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/31/fashi ... &ref=style
Also, Floyd Norman gets the final word, which is good in my book.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » June 2nd, 2009, 12:22 pm

Yay! there will be a Princess And The Frog game for the DS and Wii! :D It's a shame that there's no Snow White game but still,I"m not surprised at all actually,I whould have been surprised if there wasn't a game,they"re making games for TinkerBell And The Lost Treasure,A Christmas Carol and G-Force,why not a Princess And The Frog one?.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 2nd, 2009, 6:26 pm

Well, they didn't have video games around in 1937, so I doubt Walt intended for there to be one. ;)