Animated Views Celebrity Obituary Thread

News, People and Events, including Awards, Festivals and Tributes
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by FanamI » May 8th, 2009, 7:03 pm

Very great voice talent in a lot of good mvoies. RIP Dom.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Mickey loses his voice. RIP Wayne Allwine

Post by gaastra » May 20th, 2009, 8:44 am

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » May 20th, 2009, 9:15 am

Sad indeed. They'll find another voice for Mickey, but I think they should retire the character for a little while out of respect.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » May 20th, 2009, 9:35 am

I'm very sad that Allwine has passed away. He did an excellent job as Mickey, in my opinion.

On a side note, I wonder if his wife, Russi Taylor, will continue to voice Minnie Mouse. I imagine it would be emotionally difficult for her to do.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 20th, 2009, 3:50 pm

I'm so saddened today by this news...it really put a downer on my day after reading this this morning.

I didn't always think Allwine got the Mouse pitch perfect (often it seemed down to the material and directors), but nine times out of ten he was right on and always possessed the youthful spirit of the character.

Such a shock to see him leave us so soon. It would be very interesting to know if he had been mentoring anyone, and indeed if any eventual replacement can capture that magic to be only the fourth person to fill the role.

I feel for Russi Taylor too...they were such Mickey and Minnie sweethearts in real life too, I hope she takes the time she needs but returns as Minnie in future.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » May 20th, 2009, 5:18 pm

Such a sad loss. :(
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by OriginalGagBonkers » May 20th, 2009, 7:30 pm

I dont know if I should be happy or sad, but this is a terrible lost for people who like Mickey Mouse. May this guy rest in piece.

GeorgeC

RIP, Joan Alexander, original animated voice of Lois Lane

Post by GeorgeC » May 23rd, 2009, 11:49 pm

http://www.comicon.com/ubb/ubbthreads.p ... Post545535

Joan Alexander, the voice of Lois Lane on "The Adventures of Superman" radio series, the Max Fleischer animated theatrical Superman shorts, and the 1960s "New Adventures of Superman" television series produced by Filmation, has died. She was 94.

Alexander was the last major cast member of "The Adventures of Superman" radio series to pass away. She was preceded by Clayton "Bud" Collyer (Superman/Clark Kent) who died in the late 1960s and Jackson Beck (announcer, incidental voices) who passed away just a few years ago.

Alexander acted for many years but many knew her better through her voice as her speciality was radio serial acting.

Ms. Alexander passed away Thursday, May 21st, at New York-Presbyterian Hospital.

More information about her career and life can be found at http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... eheadlines

GeorgeC

RIP, Millvina Dean -- last living survivor of Titanic

Post by GeorgeC » June 1st, 2009, 1:34 am

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,523 ... latestnews

The last living survivor of the RMS Titanic has passed away. Millvina Dean was 97 years when she passed away in her sleep this past Sunday.

Dean was just a few months old when the Titanic sank during her maiden voyage. She survived with her mother in a lifeboat while her father passed away during the ship's foundering.

Miss Dean never had direct memories of the voyage as she was a very young baby. Her memories were second-hand -- passed down to her through her mother.

Dean became a staple on the Titanic survivor's circuit and visited reunions and Titanic historical society gatherings on both sides of the Atlantic. Her cruise trip on the (recently retired) Queen Elizabeth II in 1997 was his first voyage on a ship since the 1912 disaster.

As with many other survivors, Dean's recollections were recorded in documentaries and audio. One notable collection of Titanic survivor interviews was a CD collection entitled, "That Fateful Night." Dean is featured prominently along with Eva Hart in interviews.

An era in maritime travel history has come to a final end with Dean's passing...

P.S. -- To paraphrase Marvin, "I'll be very, very angry if this post gets deleted" without a reasonable explanation.

I don't go around looking for fights on these boards yet I notice at least one or two people do that all the time.

I've had at least 3 posts deleted from this forum in the past six weeks without so much as an explanation or at least a mild chiding and that really annoys me.

Considering the amount of useless polls and opinion surveys that get posted along with invitations to film festivals nobody's heard of I think that's a tremendous double-standard.

I haven't complained about it until now ==> BUT, considering opinions aren't tolerated on other boards I could name (usually by people who are big shots in their minds ALONE and rule a de facto bully pulpit by virtue of the fact nobody else is nerdy enough to care about what they pontificate about) I've kept silent until now.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » June 1st, 2009, 12:24 pm

I deleted one of your threads recently. I saw you accidentally double posted it, so was just trying to get rid of the duplicate. My browser kept showing it still though, which I think is what happened. I do apologize for that, it wasn't at all intentional. I very rarely delete threads on the spot, even one offs I just leave as-is. Occasionally I do move threads around, which is why you might think they were deleted. I have no real idea, though.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 2nd, 2009, 6:33 pm

George...I don't think we would ever delete a thread without an explanation. Certainly I never delete, close or move a topic without explaining somewhere or giving the original poster a chance to put their case forward.

But in these cases, it sounds like Dan was having problems, and I will say that we do merge things all the time, especially smaller items that could just as easily land in a thread bump.

AV Team
AV Team

David Carradine found dead

Post by Dan » June 4th, 2009, 1:44 pm

Courtney of Yahoo

Actor David Carradine, star of the 1970s TV series "Kung Fu" who also had a wide-ranging career in the movies, has been found dead in the Thai capital, Bangkok. A news report said he was found hanged in his hotel room and was believed to have committed suicide.

A spokesman for the U.S. Embassy, Michael Turner, confirmed the death of the 72-year-old actor. He said the embassy was informed by Thai authorities that Carradine died either late Wednesday or early Thursday, but he could not provide further details out of consideration for his family.

The Web site of the Thai newspaper The Nation cited unidentified police sources as saying Carradine was found Thursday hanged in his luxury hotel room.

It said Carradine was in Bangkok to shoot a movie and had been staying at the hotel since Tuesday.

The newspaper said Carradine could not be contacted after he failed to appear for a meal with the rest of the film crew on Wednesday, and that his body was found by a hotel maid at 10 a.m. Thursday morning. The name of the movie was not immediately available.

It said a preliminary police investigation found that he had hanged himself with a cord used with the room's curtains. It cited police as saying he had been dead at least 12 hours and there was no sign that he had been assaulted.

A police officer at Bangkok's Lumpini precinct station would not confirm the identity of the dead man, but said the luxury Swissotel Nai Lert Park hotel had reported that a male guest killed himself there.

Carradine was a leading member of a venerable Hollywood acting family that included his father, character actor John Carradine, and brother Keith.

In all, he appeared in more than 100 feature films with such directors as Martin Scorsese, Ingmar Bergman and Hal Ashby. One of his prominent early film roles was as singer Woody Guthrie in Ashby's 1976 biopic "Bound for Glory."

But he was best known for his role as Kwai Chang Caine, a Shaolin priest traveling the 1800s American frontier West in the TV series "Kung Fu," which aired in 1972-75.

He reprised the role in a mid-1980s TV movie and played Caine's grandson in the 1990s syndicated series "Kung Fu: The Legend Continues."

He returned to the top in recent years as the title character in Quentin Tarantino's two-part saga "Kill Bill."

The character, the worldly father figure of a pack of crack assassins, was a shadowy presence in 2003's "Kill Bill - Vol. 1." In that film, one of Bill's former assassins (Uma Thurman) begins a vengeful rampage against her old associates.

In "Kill Bill - Vol. 2," released in 2004, Thurman's character comes face to face again with Bill himself. The role brought Carradine a Golden Globe nomination as best supporting actor.

Bill was a complete contrast to his TV character Kwai Chang Caine, the soft-spoken refugee from a Shaolin monastery, serenely spreading wisdom and battling bad guys in the Old West. He left after three seasons, saying the show had started to repeat itself.

After "Kung Fu," Carradine starred in the 1975 cult flick "Death Race 2000." He starred with Liv Ullmann in Bergman's "The Serpent's Egg" in 1977 and with his brothers in the 1980 Western "The Long Riders."

But after the early 1980s, he spent two decades doing mostly low-budget films. Tarantino's films changed that.

"All I've ever needed since I more or less retired from studio films a couple of decades ago ... is just to be in one," Carradine told The Associated Press in 2004.

"There isn't anything that Anthony Hopkins or Clint Eastwood or Sean Connery or any of those old guys are doing that I couldn't do," he said. "All that was ever required was somebody with Quentin's courage to take and put me in the spotlight."

One thing remained a constant after "Kung Fu": Carradine's interest in Oriental herbs, exercise and philosophy. He wrote a personal memoir called "Spirit of Shaolin" and continued to make instructional videos on tai chi and other martial arts.

In the 2004 interview, Carradine talked candidly about his past boozing and narcotics use, but said he had put all that behind him and stuck to coffee and cigarettes.

"I didn't like the way I looked, for one thing. You're kind of out of control emotionally when you drink that much. I was quicker to anger."

"You're probably witnessing the last time I will ever answer those questions," Carradine said. "Because this is a regeneration. It is a renaissance. It is the start of a new career for me.

"It's time to do nothing but look forward."

---

David did animation work during his career. He provided the voice of Lo Pei in The Jackie Chan Adventures and Clockwork in Danny Phantom.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » June 4th, 2009, 6:23 pm

That's really just too sad. :(
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » June 5th, 2009, 12:37 am

He didn't commit suicide, guys.

It was an accident.

It was a private thing, and we'll leave it at that.

I'm not going to link to any news articles about this because it's a delicate situation.

He's very much a memory of my childhood.

I saw Kung Fu in reruns from the late 1970s through the 1980s.

I really can't recall seeing much of him except during TV movie appearances as "Caine" from Kung Fu, the revival of Kung Fu in the mid-1990s (he played his original character's great grandson), and later again after his career was revived by Quentin Tarantino thanks to the Kill Bill movies.

I gather his career was in a revival since I saw a lot more of him lately and also heard his voice in a few animated series (he was Clockwork in Danny Phantom and also voiced Asian characters in other animated series).

David Carradine was most definitely an icon and will be missed.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 6th, 2009, 2:22 pm

Agreed on all points. I was shocked to hear this and he will indeed remain one of those reliable faces that will keep popping up in many roles in many re-run films for a long time yet.