Worst Animated Films You've Seen

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ribbedebie » May 24th, 2009, 5:55 am

Errr. Do those newer, 3D animated movies count?

IF SO, I'd say Ratatoing, The Little Panda Fighter, Little Bee, the Little Cars, Tiny Robots, and all of those other ripoffs of awesome movies >.> Youtube them and you'll see -_-;

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » May 24th, 2009, 10:28 am

I actually liked the animated LOTR growing up (along with Rankin Bass' version of The Hobbit) and it's a shame Bakshi never got to finish it. If nothing else, Leonard Rosenman's score from the film is very good. Should still be available on cd for anyone who's interested.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Worst Animated Films You've Seen

Post by estefan » June 6th, 2009, 9:23 am

Overall:

This is tricky and as there are three animated films that I would consider at the bottom of the barrel in terms of terrible. There's Jetsons: The Movie, which actually managed the task of taking fun and lively characters and making them extremely dull. There's nothing in the story to really enchant either adults or children. Judy Jetson gets the worst of it, though, especially when that random MTV music video pops up in the middle.

To mention another Hanna-Barbera feature production: Tom & Jerry: The Movie is beyond terrible and not simply because the necessarily-mute characters speak and sing. The animation is really poor, the songs (by Henry Mancini, no less!) are awful, the "supporting" characters seem to take over the story. Even when I was younger, I knew this was terrible and completely dis-respectful of Tom and Jerry.

Finally, there's Don Bluth's A Troll in Central Park. Dull story, dull animation, completely un-focused and just all over the place. Definitely the worst of Bluth's post-Land Before Time films (though I haven't seen Rock-a-Doodle).

Anime:

Pokemon. Pretty much anything from that franchise, I actively dislike.

Disney:

Have to go with Hercules here. The songs are really good and I like the vocal work from James Woods , but the main character is really un-likable, the animation is un-inspired, plus I really don't care for the modernization of ancient Greek mythology, particularly all of the pop-culture references.

Pixar:

Cars is my least favourite of Pixar's filmography, but it's still a fairly good film. They have yet to make a film I truly hate.

DreamWorks:

Shark Tale. Pitiful voice-acting (Jack Black being the exception), a poorly-executed story, horrible animation, a script that relies only on pop-culture references, mainly mob films, probably the most parodied genre of all-time. And all of the jokes are just plain predictable. How this was nominated for an Academy Award, I will never know.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 6th, 2009, 2:01 pm

Interesting picks, E. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » June 6th, 2009, 2:04 pm

Wow... I nearly forgot about Tom and Jerry. That movie was horrible beyond words...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by OriginalGagBonkers » June 9th, 2009, 3:10 pm

I'll make a rant on the animated films I hate on my blog later but I would mention this one that I utterly hate the most. TOM AND JERRY THE MOVIE. I mean who's dumb idea was it to get this film made? If John K ranted on this movie he would probably say something like

"This is what would happen if Tom and Jerry were created by Walt Disney".

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » June 9th, 2009, 3:54 pm

Whose idea? Think back to the early 90's:
Ted Turner wanted to make cartoons. And of the limited things he was proud of owning, what does Ted Turner like to push in our face most?

(Besides pimping his MGM library in "Cats Don't Dance", that is.)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 9th, 2009, 5:22 pm

I have to ask: how exactly did Ted Turner "pimp" his MGM library in Cats Don't Dance?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » June 9th, 2009, 11:33 pm

Ted's ancillary-marketing department from '89-'95 was particularly fond of/centered on making the public aware he owned Wizard of Oz, Gone With the Wind, and....Singin' in the Rain.

And in "Lil' MGM" kids' marketing, given that WOz also got its own Turner-produced Saturday morning cartoon, that leaves CDD to resemble either Scarlett O'Hara or Don Lockwood--Which's your guess? ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by mippa » November 27th, 2009, 4:15 pm

estefan listed nearly all of my picks - I was shocked no one mentions The Jetsons film up to that point.

I'd also like to add a few...

Thumbelina - this could have been a great movie, but too much over-the-top exposition, exaggerated facial movements, and just overall juvenile...I felt like I was a grown-up watching Barney without a child around as an excuse. It was just embarrassing to watch.

Titan A.E. - it tried too hard to be edgy, and the jokes they used to have "cool humor" were already stale by the time it hit theaters. (Naming a planet "Bob"? Really?)

Atlantis - this had a nice build-up but totally fizzled out before it reached any sort of conclusion.

Quest for Camelot - It had a good song or two, but again, too much slapstick, not enough development of the leads, and the animation for the villian was too distracting to take seriously.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » November 28th, 2009, 1:52 am

Funny, The Jetsons is one of my favorite non-disney animated films. It's also one of my favorite movie soundtracks. Then again, I have a tendency to like movies that other people hate (like Ang Lee's "Hulk").
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » November 28th, 2009, 5:37 pm

mippa wrote: I felt like I was a grown-up watching Barney without a child around as an excuse. It was just embarrassing to watch.

Best quote ever! Well said. :P

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » November 30th, 2009, 1:44 pm

Once Upon A Dream wrote:Others:
Some movie,and some new ones like Monster House and Ant Bully (I haven seen them but not fully on TV).
Had to go all the way back to the beginning of the thread to see whether anyone was morbidly curious enough to sit through Ant Bully (it's amazing what you'll watch for free on Netflix streaming), apart from its one claim to fame as The Movie That Shut Down 3rd-Party CGI at Warner. (One down, three studios to go. :) )

As a movie, it's actually not bad bad, and middling enough to not be on the list:
Even though 90% of resemblances to the original book end at the title, it seems to have some heart in the right place; it's not as in-your-face charmless as Cloudy/Meatballs or sitcom-smug about itself as Planet 51, and no, it's NOT the Woody Allen "Antz II" we were afraid of from the ads.
As the movie Tom Hanks would have given us instead of Polar Express, it's trying for the same good-intentions forced-messaging as PX (we even get the same "Adult who tempts our hero into not-believing"), and plays for some of the Pixar-hugginess we've been getting in recent imitators.
If there's any complaints, the movie feels like it "owes" itself to be assembled out of other CGI-imitators' spare parts: Among the voices, we get Regina King playing the obligatory Wanda Sykes character, and we get Bruce Campbell playing the obligatory Patrick Warburton character...Someone apparently thought they had to show up. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by mippa » December 1st, 2009, 9:35 am

Whippet Angel wrote:
mippa wrote: I felt like I was a grown-up watching Barney without a child around as an excuse. It was just embarrassing to watch.

Best quote ever! Well said. :P
Thank you. =D Although that still doesn't encompass my utter humiliation and shame for partaking... :oops:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Worst Animated Films You've Seen

Post by ibrmacf » April 14th, 2010, 1:27 pm

The worst animated film I've seen (and the worst film I've ever seen) has got to be Doogal. I didn't like it at all. The only reason I watched it, besides to keep my reputation as an animated film fanatic ;) , was because Jon Stewart did a voice.