Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » December 3rd, 2008, 11:40 pm

Eh. They're used to it.

Sometimes posts are a long ways back, or it's not very clear if the subject in question has been mentioned before in a thread...

But yes, this film was mentioned under "Tim Burton's Alice."

I actually know somebody who's working on the film as an assistant to Tim Burton. I think he was assigned story continuity detail.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by CGIFanatic » December 4th, 2008, 12:31 am

Yeah, I just realized there is a thread named "Tim Burton's Alice and Frankenweenie" but I didn't think that thread was about this movie.

Anyway, it’s cool that you know someone that is working with Tim Burton.

Have you heard any inside information on how this project is moving along?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 4th, 2008, 9:16 am

CGIFanatic wrote:Yeah, I just realized there is a thread named "Tim Burton's Alice and Frankenweenie" but I didn't think that thread was about this movie.
No...it's about <I>another</I> Tim Burton Alice In Wonderland movie...!?

I've merged... ;)

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » December 4th, 2008, 10:18 am

I haven't heard from the guy I know in months.

I presume they're still in pre-production since the project is still at an early stage. Could be wrong, and maybe they have started filming at least part of the film...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 4th, 2008, 5:40 pm

Alice has been shooting for a month or so now George. I have a friend in the storyboard department who was working with Burton on the aborted Ripley feature and got pulled over. It's going well, apparently!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by CGIFanatic » December 19th, 2008, 2:52 pm

I didn't know they would be using stop-motion animation for Alice.

www.slashfilm.com/2008/12/19/tim-burton ... terpillar/

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 19th, 2008, 4:04 pm

Nice!!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » June 22nd, 2009, 10:28 am

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 22nd, 2009, 11:39 am

Kinda nice...like his Chocolate Factory remake, Burton seems to simply be adding his own slant on established visual material.

"Burton-ized" is right. :)

But what's this about "going back"? So this is a quasi-sequel then?

"The chatty flowers in Alice in Wonderland take their cue from the talkative trees in The Wizard of Oz" - what, like they don't take their cue from the talkative flowers in the original film!??

The Tweedles look classic Burton, with a touch of Charles Addams, but I wish the image would zoom in more. And I hope they have the right name as opposed to just "The Tweedles".

Still hotly anticipating this, though! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Rodney » June 22nd, 2009, 1:38 pm

This looks and sounds like a great Tim Burton film. I have always admired his visual style so I'm sure I'll enjoy this film.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » June 22nd, 2009, 2:14 pm

Ben wrote:But what's this about "going back"? So this is a quasi-sequel then?
No, like that BBC version of "Looking Glass" a while back, they want to write in a convenient excuse for casting a more professional adult actress for Alice, without having to get the same complaints about why the character isn't nine years old.
(That way, they don't have to worry about the material getting too gratuitously "dark" or "artsy" for kids, but having a little kid in the story does otherwise rather come with the territory...)

And yes, like every other "new" Tim Burton movie, we sit back and play "Spot the Old Tim Burton Movies":
Topiaries from "Scissorhands?: Check.
Ancient twisted/rickety fences from "Nightmare Before Christmas"?: Check.
Johnny Depp and/or Helena Bonham Carter in corpse-white from "Sweeney Todd"?: Check and double-check.

(That's the problem with Tim letting his fanboys direct his own movies for him--They never seem to have much imagination for directing anything new.) :x

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 23rd, 2009, 8:33 am

Depp as Gene Wilder's Victor FrankenSTEEN? Got-cha.

But Carter looks fanTAStic!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » June 24th, 2009, 1:43 pm

And not quite sure whether Anne Hathaway as an ethereally "floating" Looking Glass White Queen (the book mentions her being blown away by a high wind, but that's not the same thing) is either So Wrong, or whether Tim intends to have her played as the befuddled airhead she is in the book.
(It's possible that the one we see could get away with a deadpan reading of "I can read words of one letter!", but I'll reserve judgment.)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » July 4th, 2009, 4:37 pm

Three new pics:
Image Image Image

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » July 6th, 2009, 10:58 am

Okay, so now the Looking Glass Red Queen is now the Queen of Hearts holding the Duchess's pig?
...I'M CONFUSED!!!! 0_0