Manga & Anime THREAD

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 9th, 2009, 5:14 am

Big interest in this from me too. Hopefully Rand gets a screener, but I'll be making a purchase for this. Hopefully the Kino direct page ships internationally. :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » July 9th, 2009, 9:41 am

Actually, Kino will only ship it to US or Canada. Amazon may ship to you. Or, I could order a second copy for you if I'm placing an order.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 9th, 2009, 10:13 am

S'ok. I'll wait on the Amazon price, which isn't bad, and just get it sent in a batch at some point.

I have a <I>ton</I> of stuff to catch up on!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » July 22nd, 2009, 11:55 pm

I haven't posted this yet because I literally just found out a minute ago. After Mr. Handley's trial was postponed from its original date in February, he entered a guilty plea in May and may face up to 15 years in prison (plus having to register as a sex offender and have many freedoms restricted or outright taken away for the rest of his life). Worse, it has come to light that they weren't even prosecuting entire volumes of manga, only select images within them (150 to 300 specific images in a handful of books out of a collection of over 1000 volumes). The ramifications of this are chilling. Anyone here ever read Pretty Face? Congratulations, you now possess an "obscene" manga. Go to jail, go directly to jail, do not pass go, do not collect $200. I'm serious, don't think this is going to stop here. Sooner or later, manga and anime will begin to be censored here as a result of this precedent-setting miscarriage of justice. I would almost be willing to bet money on it. Once again, I ask you to spread the word. Tell everyone you know about this. None of this ever should have happened and we need to make sure we never forget.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by William » July 25th, 2009, 12:53 pm

I agree with eddievalient in saying that the ramifications of this case are very distressing. Hope you don't mind, eddievalient, that I added your "Free Christopher Handley" banner to my sig.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 26th, 2009, 6:03 pm

NSB...please remove your signature image. Eddie's already making the point perfectly well and we really don't want this to become a running issue here. Thanks.

AV Team
AV Team

Ponyo

Post by Dan » July 30th, 2009, 2:43 am

I had an opportunity to see Ponyo during Comic Con. Reading up on the internet, I found that the theater near the convention center was doing a free screening of the film on Day Two. The catch being that it was first come first serve. Fortunately, I was early enough that I was practically guaranteed a seat in the theater.

Even better was that the screening was personally introduced by Hayao Miyazaki himself. As soon as Miyazaki was introduced, all 200+ in the theater gave him a long standing ovation that was about two minutes long. Miyazaki spoke in Japanese of his appreciation and thanks to us for attending and explained the love he and his staff put into the making of the film. He also related that his favorite experience with showing the film in American so far has been when a five-year-old recently watched the film and went to his mother and said that the movie was made by a five-year-old. When he finished, we watched the English language version.

The film was beautiful to look at right from the start. I still get goosebumps watching a Miyazaki film on screen and just seeing just how more amazing simply pencil to paper animation can be than computer generation images sometimes. There was a life to the characters that made them feel real and true while still having that air of fantasy about them. Let's not forget the wonderful score by Joe Hisaishi.

Props to whomever suggested Tina Fey as Sosuke's mother, Lisa. Tina sounded as though she was having just a fun time voicing the character and understood how to best project her personality. Liam Neeson and Cloris Leachman were great as usual. And I must say that I think both Noah Cyrus and Frankie Jonas did a fine job as the leads Ponyo and Sosuke respectively.

Overall, just a fun movie to watch. Definitely worth checking out in theaters when you get the chance.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » July 30th, 2009, 10:46 am

Did I read that right? Did they actually put one of those no talent Jonas hacks in there? That cuts my desire to see this down to about half. At least the dvd will have the Japanese version.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jafar » July 30th, 2009, 12:07 pm

About time someone started this thread :D

I was lucky enough to catch Ponyo in a film festival few months ago. It was in original Japanese version with English subs. I did enjoy the film for the top-notch artwork and all the beautiful animation throughout, though I felt this one was aimed mainly at kids and anyone expecting a "Spirited Away" or a "Howl" might be disappointed.

Still a very, very worthwhile watch and I'm looking forward to the English version though I hear that the dub has been "tweaked" for the English audiences :roll:

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » July 30th, 2009, 2:16 pm

eddievalient wrote:Did I read that right? Did they actually put one of those no talent Jonas hacks in there?
Yep. The young one. But like I said, I think he did fine.

And I agree with Jafar that the film may not be among the best and is more of a kid's fare. It's still a great movie nonetheless and a pleasure to watch.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by deloresi » July 31st, 2009, 3:43 am

What is the best animation school in California? I am thinking about going to school for animation/visual effects. I really want it pay off, though and would like to know which school offers the most respected program. Thank you!
Last edited by deloresi on August 1st, 2009, 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » July 31st, 2009, 8:52 am

Whoa!

This isn't the thread for that!

You'll get lots of different opinions on schools at any rate.

Your best bet is to talk to people who are graduates of different schools.

The general consensus is that the most expensive schools are NOT necessarily the best ones anymore...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jafar » August 1st, 2009, 1:18 am

If you are in Chicago, here's your chance to win free Ponyo ticket giveaways:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/41886

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 1st, 2009, 11:18 am

Let's not wander off topic here, folks! :)

I think deloresi needs to do a search for a more appropriate thread to ask this in...we had one around here somewhere, with Cal-Arts in the title, if me remembers proper.

Welcome to the boards though, deloresi. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Rodney » August 4th, 2009, 3:23 pm

As with all Miyazaki films, I'm looking forward to this. I hope it's more successful (in the US) than Howl's Moving Castle.