District 9

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
GeorgeC

District 9

Post by GeorgeC » August 7th, 2009, 6:40 am

Lots of buzz is starting to build up about District 9 from what I gather.

One of the talk show hosts that I listen to in the morning on a regular basis has been praising the film as a mini-compilation of ideas and concepts from 1980s classics such as Aliens, RoboCop, Alien Nation, and Mad Max. The fellow's saying the film doesn't drag and get caught up in story lulls that grind it to a halt.

All this in a film that cost $30 million to produce!

I'm definitely getting interested in the film based on the recommendations I've been hearing...

This may finally be the genre film I've been looking for this summer.

I was totally uninterested in Terminator Salvation and frankly am steering clear of Transformers and GI Joe as I outgrew that junk years ago.

We may finally be getting an intelligent action-adventure science fiction film at least this year!

Fingers crossed!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 7th, 2009, 1:00 pm

Good words have been all over this. Sounds like it could indeed be the surprise of this year, though title mix-ups with 9 are sure to be an issue in a couple of months! :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » August 7th, 2009, 1:54 pm

Don't forget also coming this year: "Nine"!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 7th, 2009, 3:06 pm

Right!

Not to be confused with..."Nine" (2008), "Nine" (2002) and "Nine" (1992)... ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » August 7th, 2009, 3:17 pm

Or "9 to 5"!
;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Rodney » August 10th, 2009, 11:03 am

District 9 was on Entertainment Weekly's cover this past week so it's definitely getting a big push from its distributors. I'm guessing it should be a hit, but maybe not as big as some people think. It should probably do Cloverfield numbers. Peter Jackson still has a lot of clout with consumers.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » August 13th, 2009, 12:10 am

Very excited to see this. I've been interesting in the project ever since I heard about it, as I thought the short film it's based on was excellent.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » August 27th, 2009, 11:46 pm

I was extremely impressed by it. And I walked in with pretty high expectations for it, based on all the hype that I had read about it. Story was thrilling. Action was pulse-pounding. But what really surprised me was how moving the film ended up being. This is a truly emotional movie, and one of the most powerful depictions of heroism that I've seen in any film for a pretty long time. I walked in expecting some cool sci-fi stuff. I walked out having cried at more than one point during the movie. And that was something that I wasn't expecting at all.

The only real "flaw" that "District 9" has is that it actually comes very to close to being stupid during a few of its opening scenes. The social commentary is a little too obvious, and some of the plot elements may elict bad laughs from some ("illegal aliens" are being handed eviction notices. Ha, ha, ha!). But, fortunately, the movie becomes much, much, more than that as it moves along. Quite honestly, I haven't been this enthusiastic about a summer film since "Star Trek" (which practicually had me leaping for joy when the credits started rolling). If they do end up making "District 10," which has already been talked about by many, I will be there for opening weekend.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Rodney » August 28th, 2009, 7:21 pm

I did finally end up watching it last week. I really liked it. It wasn't the best movie I have seen all summer, but it was pretty close. I was very impressed with the special effects and the creature designs. The beginning of the film was a bit jarring, mainly because I'm not sure if I'm supposed to treat the main character seriously. The guy is a moron! But, I just quickly realized that was just very naive, which made me feel better about liking the guy. He makes stupid decisions, but overall you feel for him. It's a good movie.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by OriginalGagBonkers » August 28th, 2009, 8:32 pm

I just saw the movie. It was far the best one out of all the summer movies I have seen. And better yet reminds me of favorite game Halo.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Neal » August 29th, 2009, 3:51 pm

It was very good, yes, best alien film I've seen but I think '9' could be better!
Feature Animation Favorites:
  • Tekkonkinkreet, Watership Down, A Town Called Panic, Howl's Moving Castle, Rio 2096, Mind Game, Fantastic Planet