Prep & Landing

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
AV Team
AV Team

Prep & Landing

Post by Josh » September 30th, 2009, 9:05 pm

The trailer for Walt Disney Animation Studios' Prep & Landing is now playing at ABC.com.

I wonder how much Prep & Landing cost to make. Its animation is better than the animation in many theatrical films.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by estefan » September 30th, 2009, 9:18 pm

Yeah, it looks really great and very funny. I will definitely watch it, when it airs.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » October 1st, 2009, 1:07 am

"Disney's first holiday special ever made for ABC"?
So, all those years of Pooh specials were designed for...other markets, then?

(...One suspects their copy department's gotten a little too much into their Shrek the Halls defensiveness.)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 1st, 2009, 7:29 am

They mean WDFA/WDAS, Eric, just like the clue in Josh's introductory line. The Poohs, obviously, were produced by WDTVA.

If you <I>really</I> knew your stuff, you'd actually mention Walt's original two Christmas specials, made to promote Alice In Wonderland and Peter Pan, made for...ABC!

The animation in Prep & Landing does look good...and though that dog must be related to Bolt, the lines are funny: "How are we gonna make it through all this snow?" - "Laughing all the way, my friend...laughing all the way".

Classic! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by sjwatsi » October 5th, 2009, 6:28 pm

Oh this does look like a lot of fun! Would be just the trick for some lighthearted entertainment come Christmas.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by estefan » November 28th, 2009, 11:24 pm

Just to let anybody know, because Obama decided to schedule his address to the nation on December 1 of all days (and at the last minute no less).

So, ABC has pushed the airing of Prep and Landing to December 8. Really peeved about this, especially since the television guides already say that Prep & Landing is scheduled for the 1st.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by sjwatsi » December 3rd, 2009, 8:47 pm

Don't know how accurate this site is. Don't know if its been brought up either.

Prep and Landing is being shown on Disney Cinemagic channels (+1,HD) in the UK on 13th December and subsequent repeats pretty much every day through December
http://uk-tv-guide.com/show-times/72476 ... Animation/
&
http://uk-tv-guide.com/list/Disney+Cine ... time-18:00

I'll be watching. :D

EDIT on 6th December:
P&L just appeared on my satellite listings and I've got it set up to record next week.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » December 8th, 2009, 9:11 pm

Just watched Prep & Landing. Personally, I think it may be the best animated Christmas special since the classic Rankin/Bass specials. There's only one thing I would have changed:
I wish Prep & Landing had shown a distant shot of Timmy's neighborhood, in which we had seen dozens of elves working at the houses. The special kind of made it look as if Timmy's house was the only one celebrating Christmas within a large area. When Wayne and Lanny almost failed in their mission, Santa's sleigh changed its course as if it were going to avoid Timmy's neighborhood as well as several surrounding ones.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » December 8th, 2009, 10:52 pm

It was really good. My only real gripe is the length. The concept was so fun that I wish it could've been an hour long.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » December 9th, 2009, 10:13 am

For anyone who missed Prep & Landing - or would like to see it again - the special is currently streaming at Hulu and Disney.com. IMDb also lists the special as airing again on:

Wednesday, December 16, at 8PM on ABC
Friday, December 18, at 7PM on ABC Family

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » December 9th, 2009, 12:47 pm

I loved this special. This is exactly the kind of thing Disney ought to be doing and it's a lot better than anything else they've done in the last four or five years (and don't say "what about Pixar?" because Pixar is not Disney). John Lasseter deserves major props for pushing for things like this and Princess and the Frog. Let's not kid ourselves, folks. Disney seriously went downhill after Eisner left (and I'll be the first to admit that I was wrong about him) and now that John Lasseter is in charge things are finally getting better. He has saved Disney (something I feared would never happen) and we should all be thankful for that. Now all we need is for them to bring back The Wonderful World of Disney on Sunday nights with all new, original content and get John Lasseter to host it.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » December 9th, 2009, 3:40 pm

eddievalient wrote:Let's not kid ourselves, folks. Disney seriously went downhill after Eisner left (and I'll be the first to admit that I was wrong about him)
Which films are you referring to, Eddie? I thought Eisner and David Stainton were largely responsible for weakening the films released soon after their departure, such as Chicken Little and Meet the Robinsons.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » December 9th, 2009, 7:27 pm

Actually, I liked those two, but IMO they were the last good things Disney did until recently (the pirate movies being the one and only exception). I'm talking chiefly about Valient, The Wild (yeah, I know, not Disney, but Disney should have a higher standard for what they put their name on), Narnia, National Treasure and especially ALL of the stuff on the disney channel. I'm speaking comparatively here. Can anyone truly tell me with a straight face that Hannah Montana or Zach and Cody are as good as Ducktales or Gargoyles? And don't say it's because they're not aimed at me because I don't buy that. If they were good, well-written shows, I'd enjoy them regardless of who they're aimed at (Sex and the City is a good example of what I mean), but they're not. They're an embarrasment. Walt Disney would be ashamed to see some of the stuff they put his name on these days. But as I said, John Lasseter is going to change that. The next few years should prove interesting.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » December 10th, 2009, 12:56 am

TVbytheNumbers.com has a ratings report for Prep & Landing. The special beat Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer to become the most-watched Christmas special this year.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by surfnspy » December 21st, 2009, 4:31 pm

EV--all the content you mention was made by Eisner.

Before you shoot your mouth off please understand this basic fact:

It takes YEARS to make content. SO while these projects may have been released after Eisner left, they are all still his work.

And The WILD IS Disney. It is DISNEY. IT IS A WALT DISNEY FEATURE! But it was made under the supervision of the live-action group with support and guidance from the WDFA group.

Sorry to get testy, but your clear lack of insight yet no shortage of opinion is frustrating to read.