AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Zach » October 17th, 2009, 12:38 pm

Ben wrote:Cough...Cars 2. ;)
And possibly Toy Story 3.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » October 17th, 2009, 12:57 pm

The difference is that Pixar apparently had the basic idea for Toy Story 3 years ago (there was something about it in the Ultimate Toy Box dvd set). So while Cars 2 might count as milking a franchise, I don't think Toy Story 3 does at all.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Zach » October 17th, 2009, 1:35 pm

eddievalient wrote:The difference is that Pixar apparently had the basic idea for Toy Story 3 years ago (there was something about it in the Ultimate Toy Box dvd set). So while Cars 2 might count as milking a franchise, I don't think Toy Story 3 does at all.
Yeah, they have been talking about Toy Story 3 for years. I hope it does good, but I'm just not sure how it can live up to the first two in the series. And this is so many years later too.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 18th, 2009, 3:05 pm

Yah, 'tis why I only mentioned Cars 2 (although if we all remember rightly, the original Toy Story 2 was nothing but a commercial cash in until hey saw the light and reworked it as a proper theatrical release).

AV Team
AV Team

Re: Pirates Of The Caribbean 4: On Stranger Tides

Post by Dan » March 21st, 2010, 1:56 pm

So here's the lowdown on Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides.

The film will be directed by Rob Marshall, whose previous credits are Chicago and Memoirs of a Geisha.

Johnny Depp is still on board as Jack Sparrow. He was less enthusiastic at first following Dick Cook's departure, but apparently got the spark back after meeting with Marshall.

The story is based around the search for the Fountain of Youth, which oddly enough is the premise for a book called "On Stranger Tides."

No Keira Knightly or Orlando Bloom. Unknown if Geoffrey Rush might make a cameo.

Ian McShane will play Blackbeard. McShane's credits include Deadwood, Kung Fu Panda, and The Golden Compass.

Penelope Cruz, who recently got an Oscar nomination for her role in Marshall's Nine, will play Blackbeard's daughter... and Sparrow's love interest.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » March 21st, 2010, 9:33 pm

Actually, Geoferry Rush will be returning. Jerry Bruckheimer confirmed it:

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=64428
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » March 21st, 2010, 10:46 pm

Well alrighty then.

Would love to see a fun exchange between Barbossa and Blackbeard. A conversation between the two would be such a fun screen moment.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Sunday » March 22nd, 2010, 12:25 am

Scenes like that I can watch all day. Throw Davy Jones into the mix, clicking and scoffing at the both of them and I'll be able to last through at least another two movies.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 22nd, 2010, 8:12 am

Lord Akiyama wrote:Depp was less enthusiastic at first following Dick Cook's departure, but apparently got the spark back after meeting with Marshall.
...and being reminded of his ridiculous $25m or whatever it is fee (plus back-end)!

Lord Akiyama wrote:Penelope Cruz, who recently got an Oscar nomination for her role in Marshall's Nine, will play Sparrow's love interest.
Even forgoing this connection, am I the only one who would bet money on there being some show-stopping musical number in this? I mean it's Rob Marshall, for goodness sake - mix in his sensibilities with pirates and I think we can be sure that, at some point (maybe at Blackbeard's daughter's introduction?) we're going to get a shipload of "yo-ho-ho-ing", high-kicking shwashbucklers!

Not saying it might not be half bad, but curious as to whether Marshall (who I think is a good director if a little - no pun intended - one note) can leave the music at home and concentrate on a solid action/adventure movie with a bit of frivolous comedy thrown in. I loved Nine, even if it was Chicago-plussed, but my guess is that we'll see a singin' and dancin' Jack Sparrow this time around.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » March 22nd, 2010, 3:14 pm

Well, Marshall did also direct "Memoirs of a Geisha." No singing in that, although it did have a pretty big dancing scene. ;)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » May 7th, 2010, 12:06 pm

So it appears Keith Richards will return as Captain Teague. In addition, he and Johnny are trying to get Mick Jagger to appear.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 12th, 2010, 7:31 am

I'm telling ya, there's going to be a song and dance routine in this. Rob Marshall, plus the Stones? Some sort of pirate rock with Cruz strutting her stuff has to be on the cards...

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » December 9th, 2010, 5:05 pm

Pictures have begun to surface.

Picked up courtesy of MTV.com
01_johnny_depp.jpg
01_johnny_depp.jpg (116.83 KiB) Viewed 7401 times
02_johnny_depp.jpg
02_johnny_depp.jpg (80.76 KiB) Viewed 7401 times

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » December 9th, 2010, 5:07 pm

Looking better than I thought it might, except that Cruise looks "too clean," for lack of a better way of wording it.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » December 9th, 2010, 5:08 pm

If her character's dad is Blackbeard (Ian McShane on the right in the second picture), then she must've had one hot mama. :P