How to Train your Dragon

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » October 1st, 2009, 12:53 am

Ben wrote:Yep Estefan, L&S was regarded as a hit for the Studio. It was made for a lot less than a WDFA-LA feature and made quickly and without many troubles either. The idea was always to merchandise Stitch and create a Disney version of Pokemon, with the previous 625 experiments, and the sequel, episode compilations and the anime series were all towards those goals.
Although keep in mind, most of that came afterwards--
Disney was originally baffled as to how to promote the thing (remember when we didn't know what a "lilo" was because we didn't see one in the teasers, and the fans were drooling it was probably going to be a Shrek-clone with 90 minutes of Stitch "punishing" old-Disney movies?)...And expected they'd make a few summer bucks out of the surfing refs, but it would be out of theaters safely in time for their big reliably marketed big-book Thanksgiving "classic"?

One of the reasons for Stitch's omnipresent marketing push was Disney's desperate astonishment that they had a hit character for '00-'04...And yet, once Eisner's "Death of 2-D" directive went forward, all of a sudden L&S's competition-slaughtering summer business and cult-like audience mania retroactively became a "mildly disappointing sleeper", unquote, when it didn't fit the '03 business models of Audiences Hating Ink-and-Paint alongside Treasure and HotRange.

...Like Bolt, history is written by the "winners".

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 1st, 2009, 7:26 am

Eric...you clearly have "rage" issues.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ELIOLI » October 1st, 2009, 4:57 pm

I might not get anything what you are saying EricJ, but do things need to be so complicated..and so way off topic to this movie itself? I think we should talk about this more when we hear more about this instead of being so biased of seeing a 30 second clip of a teaser. Why did we get into Disney again from a Dreamworks movie? i am a little confused.
http://www.elioliart.com/

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » October 1st, 2009, 9:55 pm

(Hey, I wasn't the one who shanghaied Chris Sanders five minutes after he was fired from the studio!) :P

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 2nd, 2009, 12:03 am

So...about How To Train Your Dragon...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by CGIFanatic » October 28th, 2009, 10:56 am

I don't know but DreamWorks has been promoting this movie very differently than it did previous movies. I'm not sure why that is, however, here is the newest poster for the movie.

http://totallyhollywoodhunksnews.com/thhn/?p=1080/

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 28th, 2009, 11:19 am

Oh I don't know...it doesn't look very much different to this:

http://img2.allposters.com/images/MMPO/505331.jpg

Or this:

http://www.rockingeels.com/pics/shrek3ost.jpg

;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by CGIFanatic » October 28th, 2009, 3:02 pm

You are right about the similarities of the poster with their other movies. but I really wasn't commenting so much on the poster but the lack of information about the movie (images, trailers, reviews, etc...).

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » November 2nd, 2009, 10:21 am

Man, I don't like that new poster at all. I'm no graphic designer but all that text seems really poorly arranged.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by CGIFanatic » November 2nd, 2009, 1:20 pm

Here is the Official Trailer for the movie.

www.firstshowing.net/2009/11/02/must-wa ... on-trailer

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » November 2nd, 2009, 2:10 pm

That looks like some of the best animation that DreamWorks has ever done. Story looks like it might be fun, too.

For some reason, though, the voice of the boy isn't "clicking" with me just yet. Can't explain why.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by estefan » November 2nd, 2009, 2:20 pm

At first, I didn't get a particularly Chris Sanders vibe from this. Until the dragon popped up. I can see a very Lilo-Stitch relationship happening between Hiccup and the dragon.

Still not sure how this will turn out, though it definitely looks different from DreamWorks' usual fare.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » November 2nd, 2009, 3:45 pm

Hey, actually looks pretty solid! The dragon has a really interesting design, wasn't expecting it to look like that at all but it works really well. Not totally sold on the kid's voice yet, either, but it could grow on me.

Still a little early to judge, but this looks like it could be one of the studio's best movies yet. Like estefan said, they seem to be going in a different direction with this and I like it. I hope this is good!

American_dog_2008

Post by American_dog_2008 » November 2nd, 2009, 4:46 pm

Yay, I can't wait!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 2nd, 2009, 6:33 pm

There's a bit of the Ghiblis in the dragon design, wouldn't you say? I'd mention the logo isn't too far off an early one for Kung Fu Panda, too, and could still change before release or even on the title card.

I'm with WJ on the boy...not clicking at all. Apart from that it kind of looks like a fun, if mixed up, crazy movie. :)