Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » July 15th, 2009, 3:05 am

The middle pic didn't show. But here are the other two from the set, courtesy of Empire.

The White Queen (Anne Hathaway) and The Dormouse

The Mad Hatter (Johnny Depp) and The March Hare

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Rodney » July 15th, 2009, 10:31 am

These photo shoots must have been a lot of fun for the actors. I wish I could've been there.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » July 22nd, 2009, 7:59 pm

Teaser is out!

The queen looks.... Odd... O___o
Aside from that, it looks good. This will be very interesting.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by estefan » July 23rd, 2009, 8:11 am

It looks really great and I especially like the look of the Cheshire Cat, whose my favourite character in both the book and Disney version.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » July 23rd, 2009, 11:58 am

Okay, having seen the teaser, I don't even KNOW what the monster, the knight with the eye patch (Jabberwocky?), or the battle scenes have to do with the story, but suspect we're going to get the story Burton-ized into...a battle to protect the White Queen and save the kingdom from the Evil Red Queen!

(And so, another Tim attempt to "get back to the original book" swirls indulgently down the drain....That's three so far.) :(

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 26th, 2009, 6:40 pm

Well Eric obviously hasn't read the book!

LOVING this too. Seems that any deviations from the book will keep it fresh. We've seen the book several times before, and this looks like a very fun new spin. Queen of Hearts big head? The Dums? The Cheshire Cat, playing like a demonic spin on Shrek's Puss-In-Boots?

All brilliant! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » July 26th, 2009, 6:51 pm

Still--just like "Planet of the Apes: INO" was at one point playing around with a title change ("Return of the Apes") to disassociate itself from unrelated origins--as long as they're supposedly implying that this's Alice's second trip, and that she's returning to "rescue" the kingdom with some Queen-kicking payback (uh, yeah, whatever, let's just go with that for now)...
Why not just change THAT title, to "Return to Wonderland", or some-such, and let self-indulgent improvisation have its own sandbox to play in??

(Or is Tim too worried about his own franchise-persona that he has to give us "his version" of everything fanboys and desperate studios hand to him?)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by estefan » July 26th, 2009, 7:13 pm

Well, like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, he's making this because he's been disappointed with previous Alice adaptation. However, Lewis Carroll's book has been done so many times, that taking a fresh look on it would make sense.

By the way, does anybody else get a "Return to Oz" feel from the plot-line?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » July 26th, 2009, 11:04 pm

estefan wrote:Well, like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, he's making this because he's been disappointed with previous Alice adaptation. However, Lewis Carroll's book has been done so many times, that taking a fresh look on it would make sense.
I take it more as "similar to C&CF" in the idea of "Tim wishfully buying into the dopey pop-culture impression of the original as 'sick and twisted', and giggling over his own clever interpretation of it, while experienced fans of the original could rationally explain any bit of it if he'd bothered to get off his Gothy giggle-fit long enough to ask." ;)
By the way, does anybody else get a "Return to Oz" feel from the plot-line?
You mean, "Hideously misinterpreted, only remembering the original for an overexposed childhood-memory film version that they're trying to embrace and deconstruct at the same time, and ultimately ending up with some misbegotten fish-or-fowl that's just about the polar darn opposite of the author's own original intent, for indulgency's sake?"

...Yyyyeah, pretty much. :)
There are those who read Carroll in the original text, and those who read Baum, and we're the ones who spot the BIGGEST differences.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 27th, 2009, 10:21 am

Return To Oz was much closer to the Baum I read than the MGM musical.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » July 27th, 2009, 11:26 am

To clarify something, I read in USA Today that this is not an adaptation of the book, it's a sequel. Alice returns to Wonderland several years after her previous trips but has no memory of having been there before. It's an interesting approach to the material and the teaser makes it look good. I might even pay the extra $3 to see it in 3D,

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » October 14th, 2009, 3:54 pm

Frankenweenie producer Allison Abbate shared some noteworthy info about the stop-motion flick to Coming Soon. It seems the movie may be in black-and-white, like the original short film, as well as 3D. Also, Frankenweenie will be shot at Three Mills Studios in London, taking nearly two years to complete.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by OriginalGagBonkers » October 14th, 2009, 9:21 pm

Why am i getting the feeling that this will likely overshadow the video game movie adapation of American Mcgee's alice?

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » October 14th, 2009, 9:23 pm

The what?

Is it that video game where Alice was seen holding a bloody dagger on the cover? I was under the impression that the movie got cancelled years ago.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Darkblade » November 3rd, 2009, 6:31 pm

Yes Wendy, American mcgee's alice is the game where you see a creepy alice holding a bloody dagger. As for the movie, Halloween creator Wes Craven was in charge of the script back in 2000. But he left production, now I hear cartoonist Danny Antonucci wants to do it as a fully 2D animated R rated film.