DVD and Blu-ray deals

Print, Music, Theater, Online, Games and other Merchandise
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 13th, 2009, 3:55 pm

I picked up Truman last week too! But it was something that I had intended to buy on DVD way back when and I figured I'd just get the standard def as it was half that price. Not much in it, I know, but Truman just wasn't something I needed in HD.

The are a <I>bunch</I> of wish-list DVD titles that I have been thinking about picking up recently, all of which have price crashed in recent weeks. My thinking is that I had intended to buy them on original release or when the prices dropped, so I've been doing a spot of standard def purchasing too.

I spent the other night literally going through all the BD titles listed on Amazon (all 4,336 or whatever!) and choosing what I really needed to catch up on (I'll manage to keep up more from now on). For a few titles I basically reasoned which I really needed in HD and which would be fine on DVD. Since this applied to titles I wanted and those I already had, I just decided to take advantage of the silly low DVD prices right now and pick up a few that I should have done a while back.

Those BDs that I know will look great I obviously am going for in Blu, and have started to only buy brand new titles only on Blu now anyway.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » August 13th, 2009, 5:05 pm

Batman: Gotham Knight is also part of this sale, too.

Well worth picking up on sale if you don't have it already.

I think Green Lantern may be the only recent WB animated title I like better than Gotham Knight.

All-time favorite still remains Mask of the Phantasm.

I wish WB would get to work on a special edition BD of it complete with the making of documentary HBO produced years ago, audio commentary from the writers, producers, and actors along with an art gallery.

I'd be willing to provide a digital camera image of the cel setup that I own from Phantasm...! :D

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » August 22nd, 2009, 5:08 pm

I've been waiting to see the last Looney Tunes collection hit Costco, and there it was today. $24.99. That alone made the trip worthwhile. :)

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » August 24th, 2009, 9:41 pm

Anime titles and some live-action titles of interest continue to pop up at Big Lots.

Scored copies of Steamboy (film by the creator of Akira) and Bugsy: Extended Cut by Warren Beatty.

$3 a piece...

Way cheaper than going to a movie theater!

And not half-bad films at that price, either.

I'm glad I waited until Steamboy showed up in bins. I already had Memories (a compilation anime feature with a sequence directed by Katsuhiro Otomo, creator of Akira) and was looking to possibly buy Steamboy at regular price ($19.99)...

Memories is by far the harder film to get now and generally is only seen in stores packed with Steamboy in a $40 slipcased box.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Sunday » September 1st, 2009, 12:57 am

^ Ooh, ooh, I've seen several copies of Memories at Big Lots for $3! (And, of course, I'd already paid much more money prior to seeing it there.) :S

GeorgeC

Best Buy deal this week only for Monsters Inc & Up (Blu

Post by GeorgeC » November 10th, 2009, 3:23 pm

If you buy the newly released Blu rays of Monsters Inc and Up (both 4-disc sets), you get $10 back automatically.

I was set to get another DVD in place of Monsters Inc when a BB sales associate informed me of this deal.

This is the way to sell BD's! :lol:

P.S. -- 2-disc versions of Monsters Inc and Up will eventually hit market but not for several more months. In the meantime, you can get Monsters Inc for $28.99 and Up for $23.99.... Those are the Blu ray prices. Remember than another $10 gets knocked off if you buy them at the same time.

Both are excellent films well worth the BD upgrade or for first-time buyers... I'm not crazy about the DVDs and Digital Copy discs in the sets but ah well...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » November 10th, 2009, 4:31 pm

I dunno if this is a 'nationwide' deal, or not .. but I bought both the Up & Monster's, Inc BD's at Fry's Electronics this morning for $19.99 apiece.

/which, I guess, is pretty much the same as BB's deal; just simplified

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by estefan » November 10th, 2009, 4:41 pm

I went to Best Buy to take part in its deal and use my $10 Up coupon and $8 Monsters, Inc. coupon, but they didn't accept either coupon. So, I just ended up buying Up by itself at Toys 'R' Us (where they did accept the coupon).*

I have Monsters, Inc. on DVD anyway, so I wasn't in a hurry to upgrade that in the first place.

*I live in Canada, so maybe they accepted it in the United States. I don't know.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 11th, 2009, 9:55 am

Amazon also had deals on both sets, for those having to purchase online. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 11th, 2009, 4:16 pm

Here are pics of the packaging/disc both for anyone interested.

I'm heading to Best Buy on Friday to pick up Up, it's good deal, plus I pre-ordered to get the steelbook. Not completely sure about Monsters Inc., love the film but don't really don't want to double-dip. It's a really great deal though and I do have that $8 coupon from Disney... ahh! :roll:

Saw a pic online of the Dug plush being offered at Best Buy, not for free but at a discounted price if you buy Up. One word: eww. :?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Aaron_03 » November 17th, 2009, 2:11 pm

Does Amazon still have this deal going?

GeorgeC

Black Friday deals on WB Archives DVD...

Post by GeorgeC » November 28th, 2009, 8:34 am

Full details here. http://www.wbshop.com/Warner-Archive/AR ... lt,sc.html

No YouTube clips! :wink:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Aaron_03 » November 30th, 2009, 5:06 pm

I just picked up, Monster's INC, Cars and UP, on Blu-Ray for a grand total of 30.97 at amazon.

You get 26$ off, when you put in the code, pixarblu.

It's a great deal.

GeorgeC

Wal-Mart DVD Sales

Post by GeorgeC » February 21st, 2010, 10:22 am

Probably better just to do a generic thread on price-points at the "Big W."

Disney Titles Spotted for $10 --

A) 2-disc set of "The Absent-Minded Professor" and "Son of Flubber."

Probably the same as the original single-disc releases. Great price for people who don't have the films already! Only the first film is widescreen (1.66:1).

B) Bedknobs & Broomsticks (most recent release)

C) Pete's Dragon (most recent release)

D) The Rocketeer and a number of older live-action titles are also selling for $7.50 or less IF you can find them. Wal-Mart stores rotate a lot of their inventory in-and-out all the time...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 21st, 2010, 10:25 am

How is this a TV topic George!? :)

It could be an "At The Movies" topic, but is probably an "Off The Shelf" discussion, since comments on Wal-Mart stock could head off into all kinds of directions. Moving now... :)