The Princess and the Frog

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » November 10th, 2009, 1:17 am

That's very encouraging news, Sullivan!

Regarding the film's songs, I've been trying to guess which ones will be nominated for an Oscar. Of course, the Academy can now only nominate two songs for the award. I've been guessing Disney would push "Dig a Little Deeper," "Down in New Orleans," and "Almost There" for the honor, with the latter two tunes receiving the most promotion.

Unfortunately, I just ran across this In Contention article, which I somehow missed last September. Apparently, Disney will only be promoting "Never Knew I Needed" and "Down in New Orleans." Personally, I think Disney is making a mistake. Now, I think Ne-Yo's song is beautiful. In fact, I would love to see it nominated. But I highly doubt the Academy will nominate "Never Knew I Needed," due to its pop/R&B sound.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Foxtale » November 10th, 2009, 1:40 am

Sullivan wrote:Just saw this film in its finished form.

You are all going to be very, very happy people.
Yayay Happy is Happy!!!!! :lol:
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/Foxtale/almostthere_signature_smaller.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jeroen » November 10th, 2009, 9:10 pm

JOY!! :)

You know what the hardest part is going to be with having to wait till February?
The soundtrack will already be available in December just like the rest of the world....must constrain myself...from buying and..hmpf...spoiling songs!!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » November 11th, 2009, 12:03 am

I'm really disappointed that Disney is going to push for Ne-Yo's song at Oscar time. I imagine it's going to be played over the closing credits which means it will be heard over a balck screen with a bunch of words scrolling past. Which means at the screening for voting that's what has to be shown, it would make more sense to use a song that is featured within the movie as it will show a greater connection to the movie and shows how lyrically the song relates to the movie.

After viewing the clip of Ne-Yo's song, it is pleasant to the ear but it just sounds like a generic pop song, nothing about it said this song is about two frogs having an adventure in New Orleans.

Speaking of songs, after listening to the clips on Disney's site, I'm just feeling meh about all the songs. I'll admit I'm predisposed to disliking the sound of jazz, but based on the clips they sound very samey, not much variety. I think only Tiana's solo song sounds musical. Also I'll admit that I still hold a grudge for Lasseter removing Menken from the project because he didn't want the music to sound repetitive after Enchanted (fair point) but then replaced him with the guy that has scored the majority of Pixar films, just seemed a bit redundant

After listening, it made me sit down and think that what I really what from my animated musical is what Beauty And The Beast did extremely well. Songs that featured lines from multiple characters, so it actually felt natural for people to break out into song as everybody was doing it. As opposed to one person singing while people conventiently ignored them.

Still excited for the film though and I hope that Newman's songs end up impressing me when I get the album.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by cboy666 » November 11th, 2009, 11:58 am

You're not the only one. The songs sound boring/uninspired/generic, in my opinion. The only song that I find somewhat enjoyable is Almost There. If I enjoy the movie, It definitely won't be because of the music. That being said, I still don't get why Lasseter replaced Menken. It justs doesn't make sense that he didn't want the music to sound like Enchanted's because:

1. Menken was suppose to be working with a different lyricist
2. Newman has composed numerous pixar films
3. None of the disney films scored by Menken sound alike
"In the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't. You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair... but that's the way things are. The choice is yours."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » November 11th, 2009, 12:17 pm

cboy666 wrote:That being said, I still don't get why Lasseter replaced Menken. It justs doesn't make sense that he didn't want the music to sound like Enchanted's because:

1. Menken was suppose to be working with a different lyricist
2. Newman has composed numerous pixar films
3. None of the disney films scored by Menken sound alike
And Newman's songs tend to be a little deep-south honky-tonk to begin with.

(Which sounds dangerously like J*m H*ll once trying to raise suspicions by asking "If Newman scored all the old Pixar films, why didn't he do Ratatouille and Incredibles?"
Uh, wanna watch the actual movies and ask that question again?--At the risk of old MadTV sketches, I somehow can't exactly picture a Randy Newman "Incredibles" score, but New Orleans seems more appropriate. :? )

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jake » November 11th, 2009, 1:29 pm

Details, please! I'm most concerned about the animation.

I like what I've heard of the soundtrack for "The Princess and the Frog". I love the soulful, gospel flare. I really liked Randy Newman's work on "Cats Don't Dance", so I was never concerned about Alan Menken being replaced on the project.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » November 11th, 2009, 1:36 pm

Also, isn't Menken still busy with some of the stage musicals ("Leap of Faith") he was working on during his Eisner "vacation"?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by TitusTodd » November 11th, 2009, 2:03 pm

I have to admit I'm not a big Newman fan. At least, after so much involvement with Pixar, perhaps I've just wanted something different.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Sullivan » November 11th, 2009, 11:48 pm

Jake wrote:Details, please! I'm most concerned about the animation.
Nothing to be worried about!

The animation is amazing. Terrific performances.

Ron and John have made a masterpiece. A true masterpiece.

American_dog_2008

Post by American_dog_2008 » November 12th, 2009, 1:11 pm

Tell me more!

Good luck with the Oscars Princess!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ELIOLI » November 12th, 2009, 5:15 pm

Man, I just bought some books....It just makes me excited seeing the pictures!
http://www.elioliart.com/

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » November 13th, 2009, 11:09 am

Here is a new review of The Princess and the Frog, from The Envelope:
Pete Hammond wrote:Is Up, which is also mentioned on many pundits' lists of potential best picture nominees, a slam dunk to actually win in this category or could an Up-set be in the making?

One place an Up beater could come from is Disney itself. After seeing The Princess and the Frog yesterday on the lot, I would say it could give some of the presumed front-runners (which also include Disney's Ponyo and Focus' Coraline) a real run for the gold. It's a rousing New Orleans-set 'toon in the big splashy musical tradition of The Little Mermaid.

With a raft of toe-tapping songs by Randy Newman and beautiful traditional animation, this Dec. 11 release should be a huge crowd-pleaser and a future live Broadway adaptation for the studio. With a voice cast that includes Dreamgirl Anika Noni Rose and Oprah Winfrey, among others, it also happens to be the only real multiethnic entry on the list. In the year of Barack Obama and Precious, that could be an added plus. Consider it a real contender in animated feature and other categories, particularly best song, where Disney plans to enter four tunes.
Also notice that the article says Disney is now planning to promote four tunes for Best Original Song. Speaking of which, I've found some beautiful covers of "Never Knew I Needed" on YouTube. Here is my favorite:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Foxtale » November 19th, 2009, 3:39 pm

Josh- you found a beautiful rendition of the song :D
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/Foxtale/almostthere_signature_smaller.jpg[/img]

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » November 23rd, 2009, 1:51 am

Thanks, Foxtale! :)

By the way, the Princess and the Frog soundtrack was released today. The entire album can be heard at Lala.com.