The Princess and the Frog

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Viscountesstiara » November 25th, 2009, 6:11 pm

Saw the movie today. Will definitely be buying the DVD/Blu ray so I can run it in the hole. Loved the movie, and music absolutely adore Ray and Mama Odie. I also find Tiana and Naveen charming. Everyone else was good too. Facilier was ok, but he was a tad too passive for me.
Patiently waiting for "The Princess and the Frog."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 25th, 2009, 6:54 pm

You need to change your sig, Tiara! ;)

BTW guys, <I>PLEASE</I> make use of our spoiler hider if you're discussing the movie...many people won't see it until the weekend (and some of us are stuck waiting until early next year!) so please be respectful.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by estefan » November 25th, 2009, 8:05 pm

I was going to mention that I (along with a bunch of other people who don't live in NY and LA) don't get to see it until December 11. But, yeah, the Brits are definitely getting the worse deal.

I still don't understand why Disney releases their animated releases in the UK a number of months after the North American premiere. It's not like they have to dub over them or anything.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ELIOLI » November 25th, 2009, 10:24 pm

They will dub them over with British accents. :P
Really, I fell bad. Well, Dec 11 for us..
http://www.elioliart.com/

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 26th, 2009, 10:12 am

Basically, with only 500 screens or so to fill here in the UK, we will get the best 500 prints left over from the US run, saving Disney money on having to strike a fresh set of 500 prints for the UK.

<I>That's</I> why we have to wait until February...until all you Yanks have seen it two or three times! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by estefan » November 26th, 2009, 1:11 pm

Oh, I see. I sure hope you don't get the used 3-D glasses. :P

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Foxtale » November 28th, 2009, 12:49 am

Just got back from seeing the movie. It was fantastic!!!!

It felt a bit fast overall but was still great.
I thought I would hate Ray but he was actually a fun character. Trust me the tears were flowing by the end of the movie. I really enjoyed the characters, I just wish we had a bit more time to devote to developing some or more were given a bit more visible personality. Facilier was awesome but I think he needed a bit more.

It was a gorgeous and clean movie and the music went really well.

One of my favorite scenes is the Art Deco dream-like scene with Tiana.

One thing that bothered me (its so nitpicky) but (ah I'm blanking on the name, I'm too tired :P) the blonde, the distance between her eyes was inconsistent throughout the movie. >.<

Watching Tiana, sometimes I saw Belle moves or Jasmine looks. It was funny.

The movie looked soooo good I must say and it was a ton of fun. A must see. What a triumphant return of 2D Disney animation. I hope its just one of the many wonderful things to come. :D
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/Foxtale/almostthere_signature_smaller.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by estefan » November 30th, 2009, 3:27 pm

If you go to Disney's "For Your Consideration" page at http://disneystudiosawards.com/, you'll see that they have chosen the four songs they are submitting for the Oscars:

"Down in New Orleans"
"Almost There"
"Ma Belle Evangeline"
"Never Knew I Needed"

They also consider the screenplay to be original, so it will be competing for placement in that category (though the Academy will likely give the lone animated screenplay nod to Up).

Personally, "Dig a Little Deeper" and "When We're Human" are my favourite songs in the soundtrack, but oh well. "Down in New Orleans" and "Almost There" are wonderful and "Ma Belle Evangeline" is sweet. Ne-Yo's song is my least favourite and the one I typically skip when listening to the soundtrack, so I would prefer two others get in over that one (preferably "New Orleans" and "Almost There").

I also find it a little dis-heartening that Disney isn't campaigning it for Best Picture. With ten nominees, I think it stands a good chance at getting in. Certainly better than The Proposal. Though, Ponyo also isn't getting a Best Picture campaign. So, it seems that Disney is setting their Best Picture hopes mainly on Up.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » November 30th, 2009, 4:43 pm

estefan wrote:If you go to Disney's "For Your Consideration" page at http://disneystudiosawards.com/, you'll see that they have chosen the four songs they are submitting for the Oscars:

They also consider the screenplay to be original, so it will be competing for placement in that category (though the Academy will likely give the lone animated screenplay nod to Up.
You can ask anything to be "considered", that doesn't necessarily mean it gets voted on...It may be good, but I don't think any voter is seriously considering Christmas Carol and Bob Z. for Picture and Director.
(It's a standard tradition, that since Picture is open voting, just about any applicant putting themselves up for "consideration" includes Picture--Eg., Transformers 2 might put itself up for FX, Sound Editing and Picture. Guess which ones it has the better chances with.) ;)

Every mainstream film that got good reviews this year has been advertising "There's ten this year, so there might be room for us too!"
But this year's been custom-designed to draft "Up" into the nominees by force, so it's academic discussion about which two or three mainstreams get a symbolic representation....Maybe with Up handling the Picture nom, P&tF might get some sympathy votes for Animated without dividing studio loyalty too much.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 30th, 2009, 6:14 pm

We've just posted two new entries in our still new-ish Media section:

The "Almost There" song clip:
http://animatedviews.com/2009/the-princ ... song-clip/

...and a very nice new featurette on "The Return To The Animated Musical":
http://animatedviews.com/2009/the-princ ... eaturette/

Enjoy! :)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » December 1st, 2009, 2:04 pm

Reading the Annie Award nominations, I was very surprised to see The Princess and the Frog excluded from the directing and music categories.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » December 1st, 2009, 2:15 pm

Wow - those are two huge omissions. Especially for the "return of hand-drawn animation" and the "return of the animated musical".

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » December 1st, 2009, 4:56 pm

Remove "The Secret of the Kells" from the Best Picture category, and I have a feeling that you're looking at the five nominations for Best Animated Feature Oscar there.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by estefan » December 1st, 2009, 5:23 pm

The Princess and the Frog also missed out on writing. Poor Musker and Clements got totally shut out.

Still, it got three nominations for Character Animation, which definitely shows there is plenty of support among the animation community for more hand-drawn animation. It simply depends on whether the studios are willing to finance them again (I think the eventual success of Frog will lead to an increase in hand-drawn films).

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PatrickvD » December 2nd, 2009, 11:25 am

estefan wrote:The Princess and the Frog also missed out on writing. Poor Musker and Clements got totally shut out.

Still, it got three nominations for Character Animation, which definitely shows there is plenty of support among the animation community for more hand-drawn animation. It simply depends on whether the studios are willing to finance them again (I think the eventual success of Frog will lead to an increase in hand-drawn films).
not among the major studios. It cost Disney a great deal to get this team together. I doubt other studios would want to go through the trouble and jump back on the bandwagon. Dreamworks is definitely not looking back.