My idea for a Disney animated film

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

My idea for a Disney animated film

Post by Hewylewis » January 3rd, 2010, 6:45 pm

I have an idea that I wanna pitch to Disney for an animated film. I'd like them to do The Bremen Town Musicians, but change it around a bit. They all start out as normal farm animals but later start walking upright, wearing clothes, and playing instruments. Also, the main character, the Donkey, would be female instead of male like in all the other versions of the story. What do you all think?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 5th, 2010, 7:48 am

It's actually already been considered as a Disney fairytale film in the past and, I would suspect, still on their list of potentials if the current fairytale projects do well.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » January 5th, 2010, 10:18 am

In addition to this, I also think Disney could do something interesting with Rumplestiltskin (sp?).
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » January 5th, 2010, 10:25 am

I think they should do a story with two people from different worlds who don't have much in common, but when their worlds collide they realize they really aren't that different after all and learn to either love or respect each other.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » January 5th, 2010, 10:33 am

Yeah, I'd like to see that too, James. :)

I also want to see an animated movie about an outsider whom no one likes, except for a wacky sidekick who is also an outsider. But when a villain/disaster approaches, the outsider, thanks to his or her wild ideas, becomes the village/country's only hope.
eddievalient wrote:In addition to this, I also think Disney could do something interesting with Rumplestiltskin (sp?).
Back in 2003, Disney was actually working on a project called Uncle Stiltskin, which was described as a sequel to the Brothers Grimm tale.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Hewylewis » January 5th, 2010, 3:02 pm

But what do you guys think of my idea?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by estefan » January 5th, 2010, 3:29 pm

James wrote:I think they should do a story with two people from different worlds who don't have much in common, but when their worlds collide they realize they really aren't that different after all and learn to either love or respect each other.
Pocahontas?

I would personally like to see an adaptation of The Pied Piper - but done right, not with pop culture-spewing bounty hunter cows.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » January 5th, 2010, 3:44 pm

estefan wrote:
James wrote:I think they should do a story with two people from different worlds who don't have much in common, but when their worlds collide they realize they really aren't that different after all and learn to either love or respect each other.
Pocahontas?
Avatar spoiler alert... http://www.slashfilm.com/wp/wp-content/ ... 70bcca.jpg

:lol:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 5th, 2010, 5:10 pm

I think The Emperor's New Clothes would be a good one. ;)

I heard a couple of unknown writers put together a heck of a pitch and 16 song demos for Disney to consider in the late 1990s, but the decision had been made to "go serious" with darker fare like Atlantis, Tarzan and Treasure Planet, so it never went any further.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by estefan » January 5th, 2010, 5:21 pm

Well, with Disney returning to the musical with The Princess and the Frog, Rapunzel and The Snow Queen, maybe they could bring that project back. :wink:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 5th, 2010, 5:36 pm

That thought <I>has</I> crossed my mind... ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » January 5th, 2010, 6:03 pm

Well, you've still got your connections, I assume, so go for it!
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » January 6th, 2010, 1:18 am

estefan wrote:Well, with Disney returning to the musical with The Princess and the Frog, Rapunzel and The Snow Queen, maybe they could bring that project back. :wink:
The problem is, Rapunzel and Snow Queen have a LOT of built-in plot to make an involving and reasonably source-faithful version of (and P&TF was based on a contemporary book, not the fairytale)--
Bremen does.....not. Even Jim Henson had difficulty stretching it out to one hour.

If you asked me, I'd have thought "Beauty & the Beast" would've had as much material for 78 minutes as Jean Cocteau could find in it, but noooo, Disney thought it was "too claustrophobic" and had "nothing happen in the second act", and had to rewrite every bit of appeal out of the story.
If they "couldn't fix" that tale, there's your bar to jump over, right there.
Ben wrote:I think The Emperor's New Clothes would be a good one.
I heard a couple of unknown writers put together a heck of a pitch and 16 song demos for Disney to consider in the late 1990s, but the decision had been made to "go serious" with darker fare like Atlantis, Tarzan and Treasure Planet, so it never went any further.
I'd have said "Emperor's Nightingale", just going by what Shelley Duvall episodes they haven't done yet, and....nope, they tried that one with Mickey Mouse and it didn't work out.

And Treasure Planet was in the original "jam session" that gave us Little Mermaid and Aladdin, before having its concepts delayed--
Atlantis came out of the same pitch to start doing "classic novels" that Hunchback and Tarzan came out of (they wanted to do Don Quixote but were afraid Spain would complain, and Beowulf was stolen out from under them by You-Know-Who)--T&W were handed "Journey to the Center of the Earth", but thought it was "too boring", and tried an original mock-Verne rewrite with more monsters...Unfortunately, the studio couldn't afford the monsters and just filled in the void with more character shtick.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Hewylewis » January 6th, 2010, 1:34 am

My idea, Musicians of Bremen. Anyone?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » January 6th, 2010, 3:21 am

.. I'm pretty sure that idea was the Brothers' Grimm. ;)

but -- in seriousness -- the changes you mention are minor ones .. and somewhat vague. If you are adamant about developing an actual pitch regarding this idea, my advice is that

A) a public internet forum isn't exactly an ideal place in which to discuss it

and

B) since your idea is steeped within a public-domain story, you will likely have to work much harder to garner studio interest than suggesting minor tweaks.

:idea: