Random questions

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by jcvaldez » January 14th, 2009, 11:38 pm

Really the only thing I could say that Flash has the advantage over is that you can create websites with it. It has nothing to do with animation, but it's not only limited to animation.

Now just on animation:

I have both Toon Boom and Flash.
Toon Boom was made to be an animation program and has a few things that make it interesting like a lip sync option, where it does it automatically. But in the end, you want to use the program that is the most efficient. Flash in my opinion is the better program. It has more features and methods to create really impressive animation. I would stick to Flash and use it combination with other programs like Photoshop, and Illustrator. In the end it's a matter of preference. These programs are great if you want that Flash animation look. You could also use After Effects to accomplish this. However...

If you want to really animate like a 2D animator and not use tons of paper. Use PAP shareware (Plastic Animation Paper). It's really like animating traditional style. Use a wacom tablet, and then export the image sequence into Flash, Photoshop, or Illustrator and clean up the animation, color it and save it as an animation.

So to summarize, the programs in order from best to last:

1 PAP Shareware
2 Flash
3 Toon Boom

Hope this helps

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Animation for Pilot - how much?

Post by lizzimba » April 27th, 2009, 8:30 am

Hi there,

Me and some friends have a very exciting prospect on our hands as we have been funded a fair whack of money to get a 3 minute pilot for a animated show for a major animation company. We are going to see the studio we wish to animate the production in a few days, and I am trying to work out how much is a fair estimate for 9 weeks on animation to complete the animation for the 3 minute short, probably in Flash.

The pre-production and post production will most likely be handled by ourselves, so that hopefully wont cut into the nine weeks we would pay for. How much to you reckon we should be paying?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 27th, 2009, 10:15 am

How long is a piece of string?

It absolutely depends on what you are trying to achieve.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by lizzimba » April 27th, 2009, 10:33 am

*sigh*

I guess this is just one of those things I'll have to do on feel then. The standard has to be pretty damn high, but its mainly just two characters involved, although there are three characters total.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 27th, 2009, 10:43 am

The only thing you can really go on is what the studio suggests. They won't try and rip you off.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Upcoming Animated Features Schedule

Post by isaacada1 » May 31st, 2009, 3:00 pm

Does anyone know of a good list online of upcoming animated feature films world wide? There used to be quite a few sites that used to do this in the past but most of them unfortunately have shut down. Was hoping to find a good list that not only would list feature films from the usually big companies in North America(Disney, Dreamworks, Blue Sky/Fox, Sony), but also independent animation studios. There's also quite a few features released each year in Europe and Asia(particularly in Japan, S. Korea).

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Tyler_Legrand » May 31st, 2009, 7:18 pm

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 31st, 2009, 9:41 pm

This is actually something we keep meaning to get around to doing...if only we had more staff! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

animation

Post by gertruda » January 22nd, 2010, 12:09 am

What is the best animation software for a beginner? I am looking to start dabbling with making my own little cartoon show with some sort of software. I am not very experinced in actual animation, but have story boards and such down. What is the best bang for my buck? I would like the capability to create characters, have different backgrounds, set backgrounds, sound, sound recording, and be able to watch it like a normal show.
Last edited by gertruda on January 27th, 2010, 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » January 23rd, 2010, 8:37 am

Assuming you're talking about cel-styled 'drawn' animation, I'd recommend Anime Studio (link goes to Wikipedia entry **).

The latest version is available in a 'beginner' level package @ ~US$50 .. with a more powerful 'pro' version @ ~US$200. There is also a free 'trial' version available online, which you may want to try out first to see if you'd like it (and whether it could meet your needs).

While not quite as powerful as more professional (and much more expensive!) '2D' software like ToonBoom Animate or Flash -- Anime Studio is actually quite a capable package, and IMO is fairly 'intuitive' by comparison with them.

Another benefit from the point-of-view of a beginner is that there is a fairly active user forum for the software (see the "External Links" on the Wikipedia page) where users share tips & tricks, inspire each other by posting their latest work, etc. The software has also been around for over 10 years (it used to be called 'Moho' before version 5), so its userbase is fairly large and robust .. even if it is mostly hobbyists!

** apologies for not linking directly to the software or forum -- sometimes stuff like that gets frowned-upon here. :idea:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: animation

Post by Pepik » February 12th, 2010, 1:15 am

hello,

there is also a really good free animation software called synifg. maybe that is a good start when you are a beginner and don't want to spend money first.

Pepik

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » February 20th, 2010, 7:29 pm

Can anyone recommend a good animation software for someone who can't draw? I have some great ideas for some animated shorts (and a half-completed script for one of them), but I can't even draw a straight line, much less animateable characters. What I really need is something that would allow me to design the characters, backgrounds, clothing, etc. from premade pallates and then animate from that. Is there anything like that available?
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Your web hosting provider?

Post by 0zas » September 20th, 2010, 8:38 am

I apologize for the possible off-topic. Guys, could you tell me which web hosting company you are using at the moment? I have a problem because my current web hosting company is kicking me off. They say that our website is using too many server resources. But our website only gets 300 visitors per day..

Anyway, what would be your recommendations? Are you happy with your web hosting providers? Any ideas and web hosting company name suggestions are much appreciated.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 20th, 2010, 10:10 am

0zas, your original message has been edited for content.

You may well be asking a genuine question, which is why you haven't been booted immediately, but as for a first timer to turn up and start posting links to other providers, etc, it seems a little suspect. These links have been removed. Please don't reinstate them and, if you hang around here with some more on-topic talk, you might get an answer to your questions...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » September 20th, 2010, 10:26 am

We use Dreamhost.