Award archives...

News, People and Events, including Awards, Festivals and Tributes
AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » February 2nd, 2010, 9:26 am

Hate to say it, but "Up's" nomination probably happened only because of the ten noms for Best Pic this year.

And I'm actually quite surprised by the nomination for "Kells," since most people don't even know what that movie is.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » February 2nd, 2010, 9:36 am

For the most part, I'm happy with the nominations. But I wish 500 Days of Summer had been nominated for Best Picture and Best Original Screenplay.

American_dog_2008

Post by American_dog_2008 » February 2nd, 2010, 10:14 am

No noms for Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs!?

But, now I hope for Kells to win!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by estefan » February 2nd, 2010, 10:24 am

To be perfectly honest, all they needed to do was nominate The Princess and the Frog for Animated Feature and Best Original Song to satisfy me...so I'm satisfied, lol.

With that said:
- I haven't seen The Blind Side, but didn't that get mixed reviews?
- For the first time in eighteen years, they nominate an animated film for best picture and not only they did have to expand to ten nominees to do so, but there are two films in Best Picture I think are better.
- No Sherlock Holmes in costume design or Where the Wild Things in cinematography?
- With that said, where is Wild Things?
- I have to see this Secret of Kells. When I saw Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs miss out, I thought Ponyo would be in its place. Whoever thought Miyazaki would miss out and to a very little seen Irish film, no less (though it's supposed to be quite good, I hear).
- I've said this for years, but this confirms that the foreign language commitee people are drunk. They snub The Year My Parents Went on Vacation and City of God, yet a piece of garbage like The Milk of Sorrow gets nominated.
- Two Randy Newman nods! Awesome!
- Hooray with Wallace & Gromit in animated short (it's so going to win), but no Partly Cloudy? I guess there's one category that Pixar doesn't have completely in the palm of their hands.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » February 2nd, 2010, 10:31 am

I think "Blind Side" got the nomination because it's well-liked, not necessarily because it's well-reviewed, I think. It was generally considered a well-made feel good movie, and the huge box office take didn't hurt it.

"Star Trek" actually had a chance at a nomination, from what I heard. But I suppose the Academy felt that two sci-fi movies in the Best Picture category was enough. :roll:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » February 2nd, 2010, 12:28 pm

I'm very disappointed that This Is It was not nominated for best documentary (that's a gigantic snub IMO), but other than that, I'm happy. Everything else I wanted to see nominated was nominated. They even nominated both of the songs I said deserved it from PatF! Can I call it or what?
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 2nd, 2010, 1:17 pm

I'm not sure This Is It would qualify, not only because it was more a concert movie without an audience than a documentary, but because of the circumstances that led to its creation. The fact it was basically home camera footage mixed with unfinished visuals and non-specific sourced music didn't really make it a documentary of the tour, just an assembling of some fortunate behind the scenes footage that was released to cash in on an unfortunate situation. And I do say this as a "fan" of the film.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by William » February 2nd, 2010, 3:09 pm

I just posted a Twitter post on how I felt "Ponyo" and "Star Trek" both got messed over by AMPAS. Plain and simple, we got....

well... being a staff member here, I can't say it!

Just my opinion on the matter, friends.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » February 2nd, 2010, 4:34 pm

William wrote:I just posted a Twitter post on how I felt "Ponyo" and "Star Trek" both got messed over by AMPAS. Plain and simple, we got....

...Or even a Christian woman? :P
I'll agree that Ponyo was by no means Spirited Away (and Howl's Moving Castle even less so, but that one at least got in a three-nomination year), the Academy always wants an "arthouse" piece for the fifth nomination, but still thought Ponyo was going to out-trendy the neato faux-stop-motion of "9".
Go ahead and slap me for never having heard of "Kells" in my life, but I've seen stills and I'm sure it's artistic enough.

Star Trek was only given as an example of how we'd be "free" enough to nominate mainstream films with ten, and....nope, guess that didn't happen. :?
We ended up with the same FYC "buzzy" nominated titles that wouldn't make the cut in the real world (District 9, Serious Man, Inglorious), just because we still haven't cured the Problem: Nobody has time anymore to think up their own nominations, and they believe what they read in the Golden Globes and Critics' Circles.

Even more disconcerting is that Up, which we assumed the awards were "about" this year, got Screenplay, but not Editing or Director, as the front-runner is always "supposed" to get to lock the win.
Obviously an animated movie isn't Edited, and could just be that the committee--who's so in love with the Idea of nominating an animated for picture--still doesn't know what it is an animation director actually DOES, and likely didn't know whether it was in the "rules" to give a nomination to Pete Docter and the other guy. (They don't know much about the process, you see, and really do think Pixar movies just happen after being made by magic elves.)
Particularly a problem seeing as how Avatar did get the trifecta of nominations, and there's no argument about whether James Cameron was responsible for his mess.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by William » February 2nd, 2010, 4:52 pm

EricJ wrote:
William wrote:I just posted a Twitter post on how I felt "Ponyo" and "Star Trek" both got messed over by AMPAS. Plain and simple, we got....

...Or even a Christian woman? :P
That's what I was going for, EricJ. I was watching Wizard of Oz shortly before the Oscar nominations came out, and Auntie Em's line to Miss Gulch stuck on my mind.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » February 3rd, 2010, 4:47 am

You can all attack me but even after re-watching Up on DVD, I'm still scratching my head over the massive love for this film. I'll admit the beginning is quite good but after the wife dies, the movie is just generic. And I feel that a lot ofthe Up love is forthe first 15 minutes of the film. I'm not really sure if I'm comfortable with Up being able to share gloating rights with Beauty And The Beast. If WALL*E was nominated last year I wouldn't have minded, but Up I'm not that sure about. Maybe now I'm understanding what EricJ was going on about with BatB late last year. I feel that this nom for Up is just for the sake of rewarding Pixar finally - even if they did have to expand it to 10 films for it to happen.

The Animated Film category is redundant this year. How can the other 4 films win over a movie nominated for Best Picture. I think I'll have to wait until at least 2012 before Disney can finally win this category as I just have gut feeling that Toy Story 3 is going to win next year just because of the love for the first 2 films. I will still be hoping for a Princess upset. I'll have to keep my eyes out for The Secret Of Kells, hopefully Australia will get it so I can check it out. Will have to sit down and watch my Coraline DVD before the announcement. And at this moment, based solely on the trailer I'm not that interested in seeing Fantastic Mr Fox. So I would have replace Fox with Ponyo, as not only did I enjoy it but my 7 year old nephew and 3 year old niece absolutely loved it when I showed it to them. The niece loved it so much that she chose to watch Ponyo again over a repeat viewing of Tinkerbell 2 - and trust me that is major. They both talked about Ponyo for ages afterwards which really surprised me as I thought maybe it would be too 'different' for them. And I found Ponyo to be more rewarding that Howl's Moving Castle and I never got confused with Ponyo LOL.

Stoked that Princess & Frog got 2 nods in the song category even if I don't think the Newman songs are a patch on the songs by Menken. At least the generic theme song wasn't nominated. Hopefully that snub will encourage Disney to return to the 'old' days of using a song within the movie as the end credits song. FIngers crossed Mandy Moore performs a reworked version of a song for Rapunzel. I was surprised that Avatar didn't get a nod for its song, but then James Horner doesn't have a great track record in that category for nominations so I shouldn't be as surprised as I was.

At the moment for the Best Picture win, I'm in the anything but Avatar just because I was underwhlemed with the film and don't understand all the buzz around it.

I have my fingers crossed that Sandra Bullock can become an Oscar winner. If Gwyneth Paltrow and Halle Barry can win that Sandra can to. Actually I think Sandra winning would be like Julia Roberts winning, I would find it nice just because of all the 'nice and fun' films I've enjoyed in the past of hers.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 3rd, 2010, 9:10 am

Again, Bill, a lot of good points well made. I agree with a majority and, though it's nice for Up to be recognized, it must be said that it will always carry the caveat "only the second animated film to be nominated Best Picture (because voting was opened up to ten films)".

There are five movies in that list that simply wouldn't be there if it was still just five titles up for competition, and Up (and District 9) would be two that would instantly find themselves omitted.

And, yes, with Up's nomination in this category, it makes a complete mockery of the Best Animated Feature award, which is what I've been saying for years. Up has no chance at Best Picture (Avatar? Ugh) but will probably take Animated Feature. That's praise enough, but it does suggest that the BAF award is a "nice" nod to those people that make those funny cartoons move and that an animated film still isn't anything unless it makes the top grade.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » February 3rd, 2010, 11:27 am

I've got my fingers crossed that Inglorious Basterds wins best picture. Not only was it the best film I saw last year, hands down, but I also think it's the best movie Tarantino's ever done. He said in interviews that he was trying to create his masterpiece and man, did he ever succeed!
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 3rd, 2010, 11:41 am

I'm really happy about Up being included but I also feel it takes away from the impact by having 9 other contenders as well as the "token" award for BAF which it will very likely get.
(I'm still quite disappointed about WALL-E not getting one; Up is great and all but if any animated film deserved a BP award it's WALL-E.)

I didn't always know how I felt about the BAF category, but now I really do feel that it is mostly detrimental to animation as an art--not genre as many people seem to think it is. When Chicken Run came out there was actually some talk about it getting a Best pic nom, and even though it certainly wasn't likely, even the tiny possibility definitely made an impact on how the film industry viewed animation.

If it had been released now it would be a given that it would get a BAF nom,and maybe win, but that would keep it in the "safe" territory of animated movies rather than the attention that a BP nom (or even screenplay) would get it. It would be stuck in the ghetto and after it got nom'd and/or won BAF that's the last we'd hear of it. :?

I also can't believe Avatar got a nom. It was certainly a fun experience but the story was--dare I say it--completely 2-dimensional.
It could have been so much more with a great story--say the villain/general wasn't "all bad" but also a twisted altruist who wants to colonize Pandora "for their own good," etc...the story was so by-the-numbers (even with great moments) that it almost had the feel of a Star Wars prequel; just a film with a beginning, middle and end but almost nothing in between.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » February 3rd, 2010, 9:01 pm

Josh wrote:For the most part, I'm happy with the nominations. But I wish 500 Days of Summer had been nominated for Best Picture and Best Original Screenplay.
Arg, my thoughts exactly! Maybe not best picture, but I thought it had a shot at original screenplay.

On a positive note, I was very pleased to see Colin Firth get a nom for "A Single Man". It was an outstanding performance, and I'll be rooting for him to win. :D