Marvel Discussion

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
GeorgeC

Marvel Discussion

Post by GeorgeC » January 17th, 2005, 3:27 pm

This is the second confirmation about a DVD boxset of the original 1960s Marvel Superhero Show (1966?) -- http://forums.toonzone.net/showthread.php?t=131597

Basically, a 5-disc set featuring the complete "animated" adventures of Captain America, Thor, Sub-Mariner, Hulk, and Iron Man.

I use the term "animation" lightly. It's really NOT animated. Basically, all that was done for this show was to Xerox the original comic book art the shows were based on (removing all the words and captions, course!) and do the least amount of animation possible to keep the shows on their ultra-low budgets. There's a lot of camera panning and cel sliding to give an illusion of movement. The "real" animation of these shows is basically limited to lip movement. They're almost radio dramas when you get down to the nitty-gritty.

This is not going to be a boxset for everybody. It's basically for people who love 1960s Marvel Comics. While the show's production values are crummy, it DOES capture the spirit of those old stories and is much truer to Marvel than anything outside of the original animated Spider-Man series.

It's sad to say this, but these old 1960s shows are probably MUCH truer to the intentions of the original Marvel creators than anything done in animation with the Marvel characters in the past 27 years... This says a lot about the mentality of Marvel marketing and licensing as well as the mostly slap-dash nature of licensed animation series.

If I can find a good deal on this set ($35 or less), I'll probably pick it up myself!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » January 17th, 2005, 4:24 pm

Thanks again! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Publisher?? Distributer

Post by fbomb » January 17th, 2005, 7:20 pm

Is Lions Gate involved in the release of these DVD's??

GeorgeC

Re: Publisher?? Distributer

Post by GeorgeC » January 17th, 2005, 11:50 pm

fbomb wrote:Is Lions Gate involved in the release of these DVD's??

No, Buena Vista (aka Disney) Home Video is releasing this DVD set.

Lions Gate is handling the new Avengers and other Marvel OVAs.

Frankly, I'd save my money for the 1960s Marvel set. I have no faith in the newer Marvel animated productions being done with Lions Gate. I have 26 years of life experience to back up that opinion!

Believe me when I say this -- Marvel STILL hasn't had an animated series anywhere half as good as the early 1990s Batman animated series or the mid-1990s Superman animated series. The circumstances of luck and a really good production crew just have not come into alignment.

I will say this, though -- the 1960s Marvel animated series are BETTER than the 1960s DC animated series I have seen... I do like the 1960s Spider-Man series and some of the Marvel Superheroes episodes but I have no illusions that these shows are as good as the early 1990s Batman.

GeorgeC

Great Marvel Comics Parody site! "Year One"

Post by GeorgeC » July 2nd, 2005, 8:44 pm

Considering how screwed-up and unreadable most Marvel Comics are now, it's nice to see a fan of the old comics do a parody strip online.

The parody's called Year One and features elementary school versions of Marvel's most famous superheroes and supervillains in a Charlie Brown-like/Calvin and Hobbes/not-quite-so-vulgar-as-South Park situation.

It's a good strip and I've read every single posting up to today's!

The link's at http://yearone.spiderspawn.com/index.php

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » July 4th, 2005, 11:29 am

Ha, that's awsome! :D

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by melike » July 4th, 2005, 9:26 pm

Hey thanks. Thats actually mine. Glad you like it.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 5th, 2005, 8:49 am

Welcome to our boards! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by melike » July 5th, 2005, 9:23 am

Thanks. I'm a bit of an animation kinda guy so im suprised i havent found my way here before.
In fact - the strip was originally conceived to be a clay animation but that required a BIT too much effort.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » July 5th, 2005, 10:11 am

melike wrote:Thanks. I'm a bit of an animation kinda guy so im suprised i havent found my way here before.
In fact - the strip was originally conceived to be a clay animation but that required a BIT too much effort.
That's cool! But yeah, clay animation and stop motion does take a pretty long time to complete...I've got a buddy who makes short animations with playdoh, and it takes him like, two weeks to do five or ten mintues.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 5th, 2005, 2:44 pm

I've no patience for clay and its varients, but I did used to do little things with models and moving objects around.

They took long enough, so kinda gave up to move on to live action, but my love of animation has never gone away - I am always drawn back to it (no pun intended) and fill my projects with some kind of toon slant.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by melike » July 27th, 2005, 6:52 am

Gosh its been a while. But yes, I agree clay was far too unwieldy. Still wanting to make some models of the characters though. I'd LOVE to be involved with animation.

Oh. Marvel and I have come to an agreement which is nice so the strip lives. You never know, I may be able to talk tohem into making a cartoon of the strip. It'd be perfect for cartoon network.

Mike.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » July 27th, 2005, 9:47 am

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Menace » July 30th, 2005, 5:06 am

I've actually seen this strip before. In a newspaper, I think. Very amusing indeed.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by melike » July 30th, 2005, 5:34 am

Hang on? THIS strip? Let me know if it was in a newspaper as both I and Marvel would have som every angry words to say! As my web sites the only place its sposed to be appearing.
Of course i could just have misinterpreted you completely.