Winnie the Pooh (2011)

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Neal » June 4th, 2009, 5:28 pm

I wrote to Disney myself and got some absolutely BREAKING news for you about this project!

I know the director, producer, writers, and story artist.

Visit my animation news blog below, the breaking news is in red print!

http://alwaysanimated.blogspot.com/2009 ... r-too.html
Feature Animation Favorites:
  • Tekkonkinkreet, Watership Down, A Town Called Panic, Howl's Moving Castle, Rio 2096, Mind Game, Fantastic Planet

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 6th, 2009, 2:33 pm

Well, didn't I say I told you so? ;)

Yep, you're right in calling Three Caballeros a sequel to Saludos Amigos. There's also a train of thought that believes Melody Time is a something-sequel to those films too, and that Make Mine Music is a follow-up to both Melody Time and Fantasia, but we're wading into unofficial waters there (this is not just my thinking but years of debate).

But as far as "straight" theatrical sequels go, we have F/40 and F/2K, the South American films and The Rescuers films. Now Pooh gets the Many Adventures sequel that he deserves!

<I><B>BRING BACK THE SHERMANS!</I></B> :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Neal » June 6th, 2009, 2:47 pm

Okay, I was pretty sure Saludos/Caballeros were 'official sequels'.

Yes, the Sherman Brothers would be a wonderful addition to what already seems to be becoming a new 'classic' Pooh.

I really want to see the new documentary about them. I hope it gets a DVD release.
  • Tekkonkinkreet, Watership Down, A Town Called Panic, Howl's Moving Castle, Rio 2096, Mind Game, Fantastic Planet

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » June 6th, 2009, 5:00 pm

I don't know why it wouldn't. I'd like to see it too. It would compliment "Frank and Ollie" on my shelf.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 6th, 2009, 7:53 pm

...And "The Hand Behind The Mouse".

And "Walt: The Man Behind The Myth".

And "The Age of Believing: The Disney Live Action Classics" (though this hasn't been released on DVD yet and the only way to see it is via sporadic TCM showings, so naturally I haven't...boo-hoo).

While we're talking about these Disney documentaries, you could throw in "The Reluctant Dragon" (full version), "South Of The Border With Disney", "Disney Animation: The Illusion Of Life" and, more recently, "The Sweatbox". I can't think of any other feature-length documentaries (not one-off TV specials) that show everyday studio life or celebrate its key talent, but I've a vague feeling there are one or two that are not coming to hand right now.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Neal » June 6th, 2009, 11:02 pm

I've given "The Hand Behind The Mouse" and "The Age of Believing: The Disney Live Action Classics" permanent homes on my DVR.

I've got "South Of The Border With Disney" on my Saludos Amigos & The Three Caballeros: Classic Caballeros Collection DVD.

:( at "The Reluctant Dragon" - this was a Disney Movie Rewards prize for 750 points. I didn't get the points in time and they pulled it. I still want to get it.

I'd love to see "The Sweatbox", but you know I can't.

Haven't heard of the other two.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by estefan » June 7th, 2009, 9:11 am

Speaking of documentaries, and you can all correct me on this, but there has never been a full-length documentary that looks at the history of the Disney animated features. There have documentaries on the life of Walt Disney as well as featurettes looking at individual films, but never the entire history. Even Pixar has done an excellent one titled "The Pixar Story." I find it interesting that Disney has not done anything like that.

Interesting enough, I'm actually working on a documentary on the history of Disney animation, which mainly consists of me speaking to the camera and narrating with some video clips thrown in. It's a ten-part series (I have completed five episodes thus far) and after completing all of them, I plan on editing them together to create a full-length documentary. You can see the first five parts thus far (which go from 1937-1985) on both my website and my YouTube channel ( http://www.youtube.com/user/nostaglia90s ). It's titled "A Look Back at Disney's Animated Features." Would love to know the thoughts of fellow Disney fans.

*You're free to move this post elsewhere if you wish.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 7th, 2009, 5:52 pm

The Art Of Walt Disney was a South Bank Show special from 1988, which accompanied a huge retrospective of all the Disney features and some notable live-action ones during that year at the Barbican.

The South Bank Show is a weekly arts TV show here, running 45 minutes to fill a commercial hour, and what was special about the Disney one - which did look at the history of the company in a very serious, non fluffy look, from its beginnings to the Eisner/Katzenberg era - was that it was a full 90 minutes (excluding commercials). The SBS programs are NEVER repeated, so thank goodness for my VHS.

The Barbican is London's main arts center, used mainly for musical offerings. They have a theater there that runs retrospectives on many topics: in 1988 they ran every Disney feature chronologically and with Q&As with Frank and Ollie and others involved in the company.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » June 10th, 2009, 4:57 pm

This is very exiting news. I love Winnie the Pooh, so a new theatrical movie, in 2D to boot, makes it even more promising! :)

My guessing (and wishful thinking!) is this will follow the recent DTVs. I will be just as crushed as Neal (if not more) if there's no Lumpy! :( He's added so much to the Pooh lore that to see him 'disappear' would be devastating. I love his voice, his character, and the sheer innocence he brings. Design is nice too and doesn't feel out of place. He seems pretty popular, as evidence of his countless merchandise, so that does give some hope. I don't care about Darby and the clan her show introduced. Yes, I can imagine kids being crushed by their absence, but in or out won't affect me as much as Lumpy.

Naturally, I have other doubts as well. I hope Owl makes an appearance, or even the seldom seen Gopher! It irritates me to know end that My Friends Tigger and Pooh had a character that looks almost (sans color) and sound like him, not be him! Even Tigger uttered "I Miss Gopher" in the DTVs swan song. Oh, and Christopher Robin of course! (with English accent intact!!)

I hope, hope Carly Simon will have a part in this. Depending on how faithful they want to be and if they acknowledge the recent DTVs will be the deciding factor, me thinks. Although I don't think she tarnishes it at all.

And I kinda hope Travis Oates doesn't reprise his role as Piglet. I know I harp too much on it, but Piglet is sort of close to me and it hurts me to hear his new voice. I seriously don't hear any improvement - dramatic or otherwise - in the voice. Needs to be more soft, higher pitch and squeaky, y'know? But John Fiedler is big shoes to fill, which is why I've tried to keep an open mind. Hopefully if Travis does return he's taking time to try and sound more like John. When "The Book of Pooh" was new on Disney Channel, Piglet would occasionally sing and boy was it AWFUL! That's when I started to appreciate the voice more. Also, this is the first time (second if you count his brief appearance in the Heffalump Halloween Movie) that we'll see Piglet in 2D with his new voice. Man, that's going to hit me hard.

Oh if only Carly could voice Piglet, she sounds so close if you try and picture it.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Neal » June 10th, 2009, 5:40 pm

I often listen to "The Name Game", "Shoulder to Shoulder", and "In The Name of the Hundred Acre Wood!"

All three are excellent songs!

Now, if Carly Simon and the Sherman Brothers teamed up - there'd be a great soundtrack! Just the right mix of classic and modern (but even though it's modern, she invokes the essence of childhood).

I also like "Brave Together", but am not sure who wrote it.

Yeah, the characters created for "My Friends Tigger & Pooh" were bland. A dog named Buster, seriously? That's really original.

Owl and Gopher should appear for sake of bringing the classic feel back.

But honestly, how do they do this? The original film is the only 'canon' one - just create a sequel to that, and the rest of the characters be damned?

Or, create a sequel to the DTVs and include such characters as Lumpy, but then ignore Darby, Buster and others.

Or, include everything - so they have to explain more about Darby (is she Christopher's sister?)

I'm really interested to see how they handle this and where it will go in the continuity.

Lumpy is one of the best Disney characters. Not only did his premiere movie teach a harsh lesson about judgement, but he is the poster child of childhood - carefree, silly, fun, and cute!

He needs to be in the new film!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Rodney » June 11th, 2009, 11:21 am

Wow, I am glad to see people have strong opinions on this project. I think this is indicative of the place Pooh holds in people's childhoods. I, for one, loved the original movie (which were really three shorts put together) and the animated series. I know Disney considers Pooh to be one of their most lucrative stars, so I'm sure we'll see more of him in years to come. I think they figured if they're going to do a Pooh sequel, they may as well do it right.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Neal » June 11th, 2009, 1:13 pm

I have created a petition to encourage Disney to included Lumpy in the new Pooh film.

Please sign the petition and pass it along to all related websites you know of and any Lumpy fans you know.

Thanks!

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/Save-Lumpy

AV Team
AV Team

Re: A new 2D Pooh is being made...

Post by Josh » May 13th, 2010, 8:55 pm

Deadline.com indicates Winnie the Pooh has been moved from March 2011 to July 15, 2011. The same day Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part II opens in theaters. :(

Why does Disney continue scheduling the features from Walt Disney Animation Studios near such heavy competition (Twilight, Avatar, Harry Potter)? I realize these films aren't aiming for the same audiences. Still, I'm sure these extremely anticipated films are somewhat affecting Disney's box office grosses.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re:

Post by EricJ » May 13th, 2010, 11:37 pm

Neal wrote:I have created a petition to encourage Disney to included Lumpy in the new Pooh film.
Er, I strongly suspect one of the prime motivations for the movie to be made at all was to get AWAY from Lumpy. (And Darby.)

...We're the Old-School Purists, and we're in charge now. 8)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 14th, 2010, 7:22 am

I don't think the audiences' similarities can really be taken into account.

On Disney's side, they're going to say that Pooh is for younger children, Potter for older children and teenagers.

But, come on, both have built in young adult audiences that would ideally like to take their families to both. I, for sure, will go and see both films for different reasons, but hopefully Lasseter is keeping the slightly satirical nature of the original Pooh books/featurettes so that it will appealing to parents too and not just their kids. The original Pooh films were very entertaining for adults too, and it's only the more recent TV fare that's taken things down to pre-school level.

But opening Pooh anywhere near a Potter film - and the last and most anticipated! - is just saying that they don't have any faith in it or 2D and just want to bury it.

I, sadly, see a less than $5m opening number and around $30m flat box office total, all in. :(