Cartoon Opening Chain

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » May 7th, 2009, 2:45 am

Thank you for getting us out of the Hanna-Barbera realm. I was afraid we were going to be stuck there forever...
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing!

Also short lived, also based on a video game and also has a Medieval setting!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » May 7th, 2009, 2:48 am

Ben wrote:BTW, the HD versions {of Dragon's Lair & Space Ace} are the standard eds upscaled, and not true HD, going from what I understand about the video quality on those titles.
This, unfortunately, seems to be the case. :( However, the initial DVD releases of Dragon's Lair, Dragon's Lair II: Time Warp, and Space Ace also had 'inferior' video transfers; all three were later 're-mastered' for the Dragon's Lair: 20th Anniversary DVD boxed set (which remains the best presentation of the video for these games, IMO).

Hopefully, the same will be true for Blu-ray .. though, I'm unsure whether the animation for Don Bluth's 1980's laserdisc games exists as a film print.

------------------

Back on-topic: here's another Ruby-Spears 'video-game-inspired' cartoon show:

Included in this opening (there were a few different ones) are Frogger, Donkey Kong, Pitfall, Q-Bert, and Donkey Kong, Jr. There were also segments which featured Kangaroo and Space Ace.

-----------------

BTW, Whippet Angel .. the audio on that Legend of Zelda opening is L O U D :shock:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by FanamI » May 8th, 2009, 7:11 pm

Wow blast from the past, I loved Pirates of Dark Water.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Foxtale » May 9th, 2009, 4:35 pm

"Excuse me Princess!" :P

I've never seen that supercade of cartoons before, pretty funny.

I know this is cheating, since its not a cartoon but this was the first thing that came to mind.

Hopefully the next person can put us back on the animated track ^.~
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/Foxtale/almostthere_signature_smaller.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » May 10th, 2009, 1:16 pm

Heh, that was actually the first thing that came to my mind as well. :P

This series was based on a game that was frequently shown on Nick Arcade.

Oh, and sorry 'bout the incredibly loud video! It was the best quality version I could find...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » May 10th, 2009, 7:08 pm

The series in Whippet Angel's last entry was produced by DiC Entertainment, which also made this show:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Foxtale » May 14th, 2009, 4:00 pm

I love Inspector Gadget.

In my world Dic is also famous (or infamous) for this Dub

\

I Sailor Moon, but I think to truly appreciate it one needs to watch the original. ^.~
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/Foxtale/almostthere_signature_smaller.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » May 17th, 2009, 1:22 pm

Another anime dub that was frequently shown on american television.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Foxtale » May 17th, 2009, 2:13 pm

Wow I've never seen that anime show before. When did it air in the US? Mid 80s?

So I saw gnomes in that anime that look a lot like David the Gnome....

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by schnzchx » May 27th, 2010, 4:27 pm

Can anyone tell me if the I Dream of Jeannie Hanna Barbera cartoon has ever been broadcast on Boomerang? And if so, have they promoted or advertised it on the air? Thanks!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Cartoon Opening Chain

Post by droosan » May 27th, 2010, 4:34 pm

Not that I've ever seen .. and I've watched Boomerang fairly regularly for the past six years.

Though, Laff-A-Lympics (which co-stars Babu, the 'apprentice' genie) has aired occasionally.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » May 27th, 2010, 4:40 pm

And -- since the topic has been revived -- might as well provide the next link in the Chain, from Whippet Angel's last post (a little over a year ago!) ..

Another anime adaptation of a popular children's story:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » May 27th, 2010, 11:30 pm

droosan wrote:Not that I've ever seen .. and I've watched Boomerang fairly regularly for the past six years.
Though, Laff-A-Lympics (which co-stars Babu, the 'apprentice' genie) has aired occasionally.
Could be because Babu was HB's own property, while the name and assumed likeness of "Jeannie" may still be held by Sony Screen Gems. (Evidently Sony would give them such a piiinch! :P )

Just guessing, but figured it might've been a similar reason to why any references to the Addams Family cartoon were expunged from Warner's Scooby-Doo disks.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by schnzchx » May 28th, 2010, 12:25 pm

DROOSAN WROTE:
Not that I've ever seen .. and I've watched Boomerang fairly regularly for the past six years.

Could be because Babu was HB's own property, while the name and assumed likeness of "Jeannie" may still be held by Sony Screen Gems. (Evidently Sony would give them such a piiinch! )

Just guessing, but figured it might've been a similar reason to why any references to the Addams Family cartoon were expunged from Warner's Scooby-Doo disks.
You are correct, Sony/Columbia holds the license for Jeannie while HB holds the licensing for Babu. They would have to pay Sony to air it......which is most likely why it hasn't been seen.

I was asking because someone sold me a "cel" on ebay which they claimed was from Boomerang........it had Jeannie with blonde hair......so it obviously was not from the original cartoon, but thought it might have been used in a promotional spot for the cartoon. I received the cel and I believe it's a basically a fraud.......I wasn't out much, so I'm not going to worry about it, but it did make me curious.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » May 28th, 2010, 2:49 pm

schnzchx wrote:someone sold me a "cel" on ebay which they claimed was from Boomerang........it had Jeannie with blonde hair......so it obviously was not from the original cartoon, but thought it might have been used in a promotional spot for the cartoon.
Most of the promos on Boomerang use existing footage from old cartoons .. and the few which do have 'new' animation are created digitally; either by re-animating vintage artwork with 'compositing puppetry' (á la Space Ghost Coast to Coast), or entirely from 'scratch' with vector animation software like Flash or Toonboom.

In general, studios gave up shooting cels on animation stands over a decade ago.

Though, it may be possible that what you have is a vintage color model cel .. some of which might have featured Jeannie with blonde hair, before the decision to make her a redhead. That's a 'longshot', of course. :|

-------------------------

:arrow: Since we're on a new page, Here's the next link in the Cartoon Opening Chain, which I'd submitted when the topic got bumped yesterday:

To recap the concept .. feel free to post a YouTube link to any TV cartoon opening which you feel this one reminds you of. It could be from a similar story genre, a related sequence or character, another cartoon from the same creator or studio .. anything you think could be the next 'link' in the Chain.