Scott Pilgrim vs. The World

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World

Post by droosan » March 26th, 2010, 2:02 am

Five or six years ago, I read this wacky little 'manga/video game-inspired' comic book called Scott Pilgrim: Precious Little Life.

I remember enjoying it quite a bit .. but, for some reason, I never picked-up any of the subsequent volumes.

And I certainly didn't realize that a live-action film adaptation of all six books was coming this summer..! :shock:

Looks like the cartooniest live-action 'eye candy' since Speed Racer..! Not to mention: fun, FUN, FUN!! :mrgreen:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » March 26th, 2010, 12:04 pm

I'd be so much more interested in this if it wasn't starring Michael Cera. Good gosh am I tired of that kid.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » March 26th, 2010, 2:30 pm

I am so in love with everything about this movie. It looks freaking awesome!
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » March 26th, 2010, 8:40 pm

That movie looks rad as hell.

I need to check out the books before the movie comes out. But damn.

And I have no issues with Cera

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Scott Pilgrim vs. The World

Post by Bill1978 » March 26th, 2010, 11:17 pm

After watching the trailer I feel ho hum about the movie. I'm not familiar at all with the books but I get the feeling that this is one of those movies where when I watch it I will feel dumb because the movie makers think they are so awesome and clever and what not, while I sit there going ho hum which means I can't get into the story due to the smugness vibe I'm feeling about the movie. I had a similar feeling after watching the trailer to Fantastic Mr Fox (which I haven't seen yet, waiting for the DVD release)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Riv » March 29th, 2010, 12:57 am

I love the books, and it seems like they're really sticking closely to the comic frames (similar to Sin City and 300), complete with onamatopoeia! Michael Cera may not be the best choice to play Scott Pilgrim, but I trust Edgar Wright and co. will do a fantastic job.

Also, apparently the Universal logo and been redone in 8-bit NES style for the film. How cool is that?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » May 31st, 2010, 3:47 pm

The first official trailer is available for viewing now.

It's almost twice the length of the teaser -- but is chock-full of just as much pure awesomeness. :o

I can't fathom why Universal is 'dumping' this movie in August, rather than releasing it in 'mid-summer' (where it looks to belong).

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by The Zany Bishojo Evalana » May 31st, 2010, 10:21 pm

It probably has to do with the release of the last(?) graphic novel, which doesn't come out until late July.
[url=http://rabbithutchiscalling.blogspot.com][img]http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg78/evalana/sig_feet.png[/img][/url]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 1st, 2010, 8:40 am

Droo...Universal don't seem to have known what they're doing with their marketing for the past decade!

I don't know if "dumping" is the right word, though...I think it looks like their plan is to pick up the tail end of the summer market and not get squashed in the bigger, earlier films.

After all, Pilgrim is a bit of a weird sell to anyone not familiar with the comics, and though I'm not a big Cera fan (he seems to insipid on screen even when he's playing that kind of character), he looks like he could pull off what he needs to do here, and Wright's direction looks like a fun angle.

I just hope that the excitement of the summer hasn't played out before Pilgrim comes to screens...but at least they didn't go for a September/October release!! :)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » June 23rd, 2010, 11:40 am

The web site is doing a neat little thing where you can customize an avatar in the style of the comic.

http://www.scottpilgrimthemovie.com/avatarCreator/

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » June 23rd, 2010, 8:10 pm

droosan wrote:The first official trailer is available for viewing now.

It's almost twice the length of the teaser -- but is chock-full of just as much pure awesomeness. :o

I can't fathom why Universal is 'dumping' this movie in August, rather than releasing it in 'mid-summer' (where it looks to belong).
The best part about the new trailer is it shows Todd Ingram's ridiculous cleaning lady thing from the books.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » June 25th, 2010, 11:39 pm

I just finished the first book, and now I'm even more intrigued than before. This movie is gonna be fun. :D

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » July 8th, 2010, 5:58 pm

Universal has big plans for Scott Pilgrim at Comic Con.

First, there's the 6pm panel in Hall H on Day One with the following schedule to appear:
Edgar Wright - Director, Co-Writer
Bryan Lee O'Malley - Creator, Comic Author
Michael Cera - Scott Pilgrim
Mary Elizabeth Winstead - Ramona Flowers
Allison Pill - Kim Pine
Mark Webber - Stephen Stills
Kieran Culkin - Wallace Wells
Ellen Wong - Knives Chau
Johnny Simmons - Young Neil
Anna Kendrick - Stacy Pilgrim
Aubrey Plaza - Julie Powers
Satya Bhabha - Matthew Patel
Mae Whitman - Roxy Richter
Brandon Routh - Todd Ingram
Jason Schwartzman - Gideon Graves

But that's not all. Universal is also putting together a themed event at the Hilton Gaslamp called "Scott Pilgrim vs. Comic Con" that will run from the afternoon of Day One through the remainder of the convention. It's gonna be like a big party with a DJ playing tunes from the movie's soundtrack.

The real kicker, though, is the Tee-Making Station. It is here that one can get their own custom made Scott Pilgrim T-shirt. The best part? These shirts will be made by the cast and crew! Imagine, your very own, personally designed Scott Pilgrim T-shirt made by Michael Cera.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » July 8th, 2010, 8:07 pm

Arg, I'm moving to Cali next year. Why, why why, WHY do all the super-awesome things at comic-con have to occur THIS year??? Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy..... :cry:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » July 8th, 2010, 8:23 pm

Not to worry; 'super-awesome' things happen at Comic-Con every year. 8)

I'm staying away from SDCC this year, myself, though. I've gone down for at least one day during each of the past 10 years .. but it's finally just gotten too doggone crowded for me to enjoy myself there. :|