Toy Story 3

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Toy Story 3

Post by EricJ » June 20th, 2010, 4:48 pm

estefan wrote:And Toy Story 3 is set to make about $115 million this weekend, so this is definitely one sequel that has gotten a lot of people interested and expect word-of-mouth will be phenomenal. I will not be surprised if this becomes the highest grossing film of the year, the most successful Disney/Pixar release and the most successful animated film of all-time.
One of the secrets to "Finding Nemo"'s freakish success was being one of Pixar's better movies during one of the worst movie-summers in the decade--
It's not quite that bad this year...But with most of our May missing (Prince of Persia, Robin Hood), Shrek gone and the rest of June/July not looking too promising till cult-August (no, not even "Inception", fanboys, and especially not "Sorcerer's Apprentice"), looks like Pixar's got themselves the default repeat-viewing movie of the summer like they had last time. :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » June 20th, 2010, 9:05 pm

Saw it today. I thought it was wonderful, just as good as those that preceded it. Lots of great moments and character stuff. The end really made the movie a masterpiece (there was even some applause at the end credits), but I loved it all the way through. As long as they're this good, I don't mind more sequels. As Whippet put it so well, each one has had its own theme.

There are good animated films, and then there are Pixar movies. I'm not a Pixar snob, but they really do know how to make fine films.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » June 21st, 2010, 1:36 am

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 21st, 2010, 6:04 am

Shame George isn't going to make an exception...I certainly am for TS3, especially after the great word of mouth here, which is more important than a stuffy critic.

Someone said it was an "end of an era" for Pixar with this film: I look forward to finding if I agree. It is, in any case, the end of this trilogy, and I think that does put some kind of closure on Pixar's first 15 years as a growing company. Someone else said it was like their childhood coming to an end, and I think that sounds like more of the perceptive point, what with branching out into typically teenager ground with the likes of John Carter Of Mars. Who knows, maybe Brad Bird's long gestating 1906 will be the film that brings them into adulthood?

As for another earlier point made above (and copied a few times - yeah, thanks guys...I had to go in an edit each one and try not to read the spoliers!), I'm going to repeat this just in case it got missed:
Macaluso wrote:I mean. There's hype, and then there's 100% on rotten tomatoes if not for two sourpusses. It really is that great of a movie. You should go see it.

about the movie:
The incinerator scene. Jesus, the movie got the darkest any Pixar movie ever had before. The incinerator scene was the most terrifying thing they had ever done in their movies as well. Until the claw comes, they are literally just excepting their death by BURNING, since they can't get out. I think that's the most tense I've ever been to a scene in their movies.
Moderator's Note: Mac, even hiding expletives isn't respecting the code of conduct here at AV. As a long-term member on the boards, and clearly as someone making a valid point, we'll let this slip, but be warned: no strong language, even in hidden blocks. Thanks - Ben.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » June 21st, 2010, 8:12 am

I thoroughly enjoyed Toy Story 3 .. tensed/teared-up at the appropriate moments ..

But Barbie and Ken stole every scene they were in. :lol:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by estefan » June 21st, 2010, 9:11 am

Excellent review, James. I would have given it the full 10, personally, but that's just me. A perfect end to an excellent series (though apparently the toys will re-appear in future shorts, one of which will be shown before Cars 2).

I would agree that the casting of a recognisable voice like Whoopi Goldberg, while giving her so few lines felt like a waste, but the Bonnie Hunt casting is to be expected. She's almost up there with John Ratzenberger as one of Pixar's most frequently cast actors.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re:

Post by Macaluso » June 21st, 2010, 10:26 am

Ben wrote: Moderator's Note: Mac, even hiding expletives isn't respecting the code of conduct here at AV. As a long-term member on the boards, and clearly as someone making a valid point, we'll let this slip, but be warned: no strong language, even in hidden blocks. Thanks - Ben.
I just copy and pasted that from another forum. I totally forgot I even typed that part.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 21st, 2010, 12:12 pm

No probs...like I said, you were clearly making a decent point, not just adding that for a false effect. Anyone else, or newer, would have got beaten with the big stick, but just bear in mind what you cut and paste! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » June 21st, 2010, 7:10 pm

And just on a side note--
It's rather fortunate that Disney Parks took the trouble of introducing Lotso as the official new meet character for the movie before it came out...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3kPNwyin_4
As I don't quite know how many kids would still want to hug him AFTER seeing the movie. 0_0'''

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re:

Post by GRUNT » June 27th, 2010, 3:22 am

Haha! I totally agree! :P

I have to say, while I thoroughly enjoyed the movie and the ending made me tear up just a little, I do have one particular issue which I shall elaborate in spoiler form!
Even though the final 5 minutes were indeed beautiful, I can't help but feel just a little gypped!

Throughout the film, I was surprised to be reminded of the Teen Titans series finale 'Things Change'. Now, I never watched much Teen Titans, but I was familiar enough to appreciate how epic the finale was. That was also a tale about moving on and...well, dealing with change. I felt it was really poignant.

With Toy Story's 3 ending....yeah, Andy is gone, but the toys have a new person to care for them the way Andy used to when he was younger. It just begs the question of what's going to happen when Bonnie gets older, and the toys return to the same situation that they were at in the start of the film. It's a story about dealing with change and moving on, but in many ways, it doesn't feel as if anything's changed :?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 28th, 2010, 6:34 am

Recycling. The process will continue over and over.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » June 28th, 2010, 8:35 am

Why do you read spoilers when you haven't seen the film!?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 28th, 2010, 9:13 am

Because we need a Mod that reads each and every post to make sure of no bad language!

I said this ages ago, that I have to read the spoilers too on the Forum during my checks, to make sure that people aren't trying to sneak stuff through in posts they might not think get checked. Since I know you don't read every post, it's something I've taken upon myself to try and keep up with...with good reason too: you obviously missed the f-bomb that was copied into a recent cut and paste quote that was hidden...and then copied two or three times in replied messages!

So...yes it sucks for me, but it works for the site.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » June 28th, 2010, 11:58 am

Way to hang me out to dry with the site's dirty laundry in public, buddy!

:)

American_dog_2008

Post by American_dog_2008 » June 28th, 2010, 2:41 pm

I will rather wait for the Toy Story 3 Blu Ray release.

Alpha & Omega looks better.