Two yogi bear specials come to dvd

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Two yogi bear specials come to dvd

Post by gaastra » August 10th, 2010, 9:14 pm

WB is releasing a dvd with two yogi specials.

Yogi's all-star christmas caper and yogi's birthday party.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Yogi-B ... aper/14223

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » August 10th, 2010, 10:12 pm

It's a little surprising, given that the Yogi's First Christmas DVD was relegated to the Warner Archive on-demand system; but I do understand that there's a movie coming out soon. It looks like a travesty, but it's coming whether we like it or not. And so Yogi fans get some vintage specials. Nothing wrong with that part.

Rather than these specials, though, it would be nice to see Warner re-promoting the complete series release, which did poorly the first time it came out.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Two yogi bear specials come to dvd

Post by droosan » August 10th, 2010, 10:28 pm

I'd be willing to suffer the existence of a live-action Quckdraw McGraw, if it would help get the original H-B cartoon on home video. :|

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » August 10th, 2010, 11:16 pm

True, true..

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 11th, 2010, 12:46 pm

It's possible, Rand, that sales on the WBAC Yogi release were better than expected, hence the "chance" they're taking on making this new disc a mainstream title.

Also, of course, with the movie as a tie-in, a title like that is going to make more people aware of the new movie than a WBAC release would do, where only the fans are watching what comes out.

Whatever the benefits of this being released, it's being done for one reason and one reason only: to keep Yogi in the widespread public eye and make people aware and "excited" about seeing the new movie.

Unfortunately, Droo's Quickdraw remark is sadly all to true. :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re:

Post by EricJ » August 11th, 2010, 1:38 pm

Ben wrote:Whatever the benefits of this being released, it's being done for one reason and one reason only: to keep Yogi in the widespread public eye and make people aware and "excited" about seeing the new movie.
They're not only using the one special that Hasn't Been Done Yet, they're using the one that involves all the H-B characters, just in case, and sticking on the reunion TV episode that also had all the H-B characters in it.
Sounds like they're taking no chances where the movie audience is concerned.
Unfortunately, Droo's Quickdraw remark is sadly all to true. :(
Except, of course, that QD is still on Warner's specially reserved HB-scapegoat Shame & Abuse list dating back to the Cartoon Network Propaganda Wars. (Many were chosen, but only a few were singled out for special neurotically-compulsive persecution, like Aquaman, Scrappy-Doo, Jabberjaw, Ranger Smith, and, it seems, QD by way of Baba Looie, and the evils of Wacky Sidekicks.)
So, while I sympathize with Droo's "whatever it takes" sentiment, realistically, be careful what you wish for. :shock:

Also, looks like Warner wasn't kidding when they said the source material was in too bad condition to work with without massive (and expensively sales-reliant) restoration.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » August 11th, 2010, 8:30 pm

For QD, why don't they use the TV prints seen on CN and Boomerang? They look perfectly fine to me, given the age of the material. I'm sure people wouldn't mind. So what's the hold up?
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 12th, 2010, 7:45 am

Um, I don't think there was any suggestion of Quickdraw coming out or being announced. Droo was just saying what it might take to get an old cartoon out on disc for any other reason than because people remembered it and wanted to own it.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Baree » October 10th, 2010, 11:11 pm

Brilliant news. I have had all the Yogi Bear movies for quite some time, but not on official DVD. Will be a nice addition to my collection.
Last edited by Baree on October 17th, 2010, 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 11th, 2010, 4:22 am

Again, Baree, I hope you're not talking bootlegs. Off-air recordings from television and passable, but we can't condone actually pirate copies or things like that on these pages due to enjoying good relations with the studios.

Please don't talk about pirating titles or owning bootlegs on these boards, and we won't have a problem. Thanks! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Two yogi bear specials come to dvd

Post by Baree » October 11th, 2010, 4:50 pm

Nope, VHS :) A lot of movies and shows that have never been released on DVD are available on VHS thankfully. Any serious cartoon collector can't live without a working video recorder. Two in my case, since I need an American one as well for videos that were only released on NTSC VHS tapes. And of course all the adaptors and whatnot I need to use it over here. I make DVD copies from my VHS tapes as well because VHS tapes deteriorate pretty quickly. To my knowledge that is perfectly fine to do if you own the original VHS.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 11th, 2010, 5:10 pm

That's what I do too! :)