Tangled (formerly Rapunzel)

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » August 11th, 2010, 7:04 pm

Amazon has unveiled the cover for the Art Of Tangled book.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/081187 ... B71CRSD872

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 12th, 2010, 7:46 am

Definitely a comedy. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » August 12th, 2010, 8:24 am

I agree Ben, but I think it will be more of an Aladdin style comedy than a Hercules or Emperor's New Groove. Aladdin was eventually driven by the love story and that's the impresssion I've got from the concept art I've seen. It will start of funny but slowly merge into love story. Which I personally have no problem with.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Tangled (Formerly Rapunzel)

Post by ShyViolet » August 12th, 2010, 10:06 pm

I'd still say Aladdin is more of a straight retelling though, the time and place as well as the basic plot of the story is true to other versions. There's humor and romance but it's basically an epic adventure with sort of an Indiana Jones feel to it combined with Classic Disney as well as other versions of the Aladdin story (The Thief of Baghdad and of course The Thief and the Cobbler). Some parts, especially the last twenty minutes or so (as well as the opening scene), are quite scary.

Rapunzel is more of a modern spin, even if it's not set in the modern day. The jokes have the "attitude" feel of many recent Disney films like Princess, Bolt and even Meet the Robinsons. Those were all basically comedies, even with the love scenes and the heart-tugging themes they had.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Dusterian » August 12th, 2010, 11:11 pm

DON'T JUDGE A BOOK BY ITS COVER.

We have heard and seen evidence of either comedy or a straight classic. It will probably be both, but let's just wait and see what the real thing is.

The story is that the marketing is supposed to make it look like a comedy...while the insiders who actually worked on it say it's really a traditional classic.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 13th, 2010, 6:01 am

Thief and the Cobbler wasn't a take on Aladdin, Vi, though it did have shades of the 1001 Arabian Nights stories. The project was more inspired by the stories of Nasrudin, a collection of which Richard Williams had illustrated. When he started his film, the author's estate threatened to sue Williams, so all references to Nasrudin were removed and the style leaned more heavily on the Persian designs that Williams loved. Disney saw a work in progress version over the years, and much of Williams' approach ended up in their Aladdin, but storywise the two are not connected.

:)

Dusty...calm down before you hurt yourself.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » August 13th, 2010, 11:11 am

*drool*

Can't wait to get my hands on that book.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Tristy » September 5th, 2010, 12:18 am

Hi I'm new and I'm very honored to be on here.

Somebody posted this at the UltimateDisney forums

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » September 5th, 2010, 12:38 am

Welcome to the board. :)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Tristy » September 5th, 2010, 12:54 am

Thank you.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » September 5th, 2010, 6:45 am

Thanks for posting that Tristy. Love the new pieces of concept art and the great new footage. Wonderful to finally hear Rapunzel speak. I think Mandy Moore is perfect for the part. Absolutely love the footage of the couple floating in the boat, it's absolutely gorgeous. ANd to my eyes, the scen of Rapunzel sitting on the ledge appears to be footage from one of her song. Cannot wait for more footage.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by estefan » September 5th, 2010, 9:18 am

Wow, didn't think they would be allowed to say the word "Rapunzel" in the publicity.

I also wish they would quit playing that hideous pop song in the background. Seriously, I want to hear Alan Menken's songs! Still really looking forward to this, though. The animation looks stunning.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Tristy » September 5th, 2010, 2:27 pm

Yeah. I really wish they'd get rid of that horrible pop song as well. It really doesn't fit the look of the animation. I am so glad that this featurette confirms that Rapunzel will be the focus of the movie. I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't have a problem with Mandy Moore as Rapunzel. I think she makes a perfect Disney princess.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Foxtale » September 5th, 2010, 10:02 pm

Thanks for the preview Tristy.

Just a tidbit for all those out there. I was in Walmart the other day they had a whole slew of Tangled toys... except none of them said Tangled. They all Said RAPUNZEL on the boxes, front and center in the old title font. A few of the bigger dolls had a STICKer on them that said, "As featured in the movie Tangled."

I knew that the toy companies were not going to be thrilled about the sudden name change. :P
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/Foxtale/almostthere_signature_smaller.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Tristy » September 5th, 2010, 10:28 pm

Wow! That's...awkward.

I think i can truly sum up Disney's current marketing strategy with this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLvIFRNbqOs