The New DVD and Blu Thread

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 6th, 2005, 8:57 pm

And you didn't keep it? The '58 Vincent Price version is excellent too!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Wonderlicious » August 7th, 2005, 6:02 pm

I've just ordered The Simpsons: Season 4 at Sendit.com for £14.99 (good price! :D). This is my first Simpsons DVD, and I'm glad that it's my first as Season 4, along with 5 and 6 are my favourite of all the seasons so far.
-Joe

[i]GIRL: Do you know the way to the Magic Kingdom?
PETER PAN: Sure I do...but can you [b]fly?[/b][/i]
-Scary Disney World TV ad circa '71

[b][url=http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&sub=All&id=big_joe]My DVD List[/url][/b]

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » August 7th, 2005, 9:09 pm

The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King- I had put off buying it for long enough.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 8th, 2005, 3:50 am

Theatrical or Extended, Mick?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 8th, 2005, 4:33 pm

And you didn't keep it? The '58 Vincent Price version is excellent too!
I was kinda tempted to but I'm very partial to the Jeff Goldblum one. (they let me exchange it since they were both "bargain" VHS) They have the 1958 one too so maybe I'll check it out.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » August 8th, 2005, 4:46 pm

Ben wrote:Theatrical or Extended, Mick?
Theatrical.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 8th, 2005, 5:00 pm

I have the Extended but....to be perfectly honest I'm kind of sorry I didn't get the Theatrical. Sometimes extra scenes are nice but they don't really add to the overall quality of the film and sort detract from its power.....oh well.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » August 8th, 2005, 5:03 pm

I think I know what you mean, Violet. Though I have nothing against the Extended Edition, I just prefer the theatrical cut because it is the one that swept the Oscars.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » August 8th, 2005, 5:18 pm

Be a real geek and get both!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » August 8th, 2005, 5:40 pm

That would be nice, but there are too many other DVDs/various items that I want to afford that. :)
Last edited by Josh on August 8th, 2005, 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 8th, 2005, 5:41 pm

I have both of all the films, since the theatrical cut comes with different extras.

The extendeds really do add to the stories and are closer to the books (apart from the end and start pionts) and you just know that's what would have been put out in theaters if that kind of thing could be done.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Wonderlicious » August 8th, 2005, 7:25 pm

Whilst we're on the subject of The Lord of the Rings, has anyone seen the animated version from the 1970s that cuts out the Return of the King section? Talk about films abridging their source material... :roll:
Wonderlicious wrote:I've just ordered The Simpsons: Season 4 at Sendit.com for £14.99 (good price! :D). This is my first Simpsons DVD, and I'm glad that it's my first as Season 4, along with 5 and 6 are my favourite of all the seasons so far.
Update: And it appears as though Sendit is temporarily out of stock, so I have to wait longer. Oh well, nevermind. :(
-Joe

[b][url=http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&sub=All&id=big_joe]My DVD List[/url][/b]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 9th, 2005, 4:17 am

Ralph Bakshi's 1978 Lord Of The Rings was intended to be a two-film deal (much how like Disney wanted Peter Jackson to make his before he moved to New Line and got set up as a trilogy).

However, the usual production problems befell Bakshi's film and he had to resort to rotoscoping large sections of the battle sequences to make his deadline.

Of course, the film stunk, sank at the box office and is now universally derided. It didn't help that it ended half way through the second book.

Naturally, the planned follow-up (which would have completed The Two Towers and encompassed Return Of The King) was never made, leaving the film an odd curio.

There are some things in it though that could easily be said to have "inspired" Jackson...

There are some hilarious pages out there dedicated to bashing the animated version:

http://www.angelfire.com/apes/renzorant/bakshi.html

There's one out there that REALLY hates the film and is hysterical to read.

BTW: Rankin Bass, who had already made The Hobbit, did go back and ostensibly finish off the series with Return Of The King for TV, but all three films are largely unconnected and even feature different Gandalfs!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 9th, 2005, 3:57 pm

I saw the first ten minutes or so of the Bakshi one but quickly lost interest. I do want to see the Hobbit though!

Personally I don't feel that we need a "prequel" Hobbit film since they pretty much sum up what happens at the begining of Fellowship.

Bakshi also did "Cool World" which is what Roger Rabbit would have been like if Toontown had been a fake-looking montage of random neon images that don't remotely belong together, Eddie Valiant was played by Brad Pitt,(he wasn't a star back then) and Jessica Rabbit had been a (pardon my language) blatant whore who looks like Kim Basinger. Oh, and there's a hyperactive spider sidekick who kind of passes for Roger. This was the "potential blockbuster" of summer 1992. Needless to say, it bombed.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Wonderlicious » August 10th, 2005, 3:53 pm

I've just pre-ordered the 3 Disc Collector's Edition of The Wizard of Oz at PLAY USA, which is selling for £17.99, just being able to be bought without tax. I've compared the price with Amazon (by doing a price conversion at www.xe.com), and it looks as though they're more expensive with the 3 disc set as of now; just thought that I should tell you that. :wink:
-Joe