WB Archive Collection: Discs On Demand!

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » August 26th, 2010, 2:41 am

Thundarr is really the only one of these titles I'd care to get.

It was a childhood favorite and I occasionally still catch it on Boomerang when I visit my parents... It's held up better than I thought it would.

Pirates is okay but Josie in Space is far inferior to the first Josie series. Only Janet Waldo (aka Judy Jetson aka Josie in most of the episodes) and Dan DeCarlo fans need to buy this for completeness.

Some Little Mermaid fans might buy Pirates of Darkwater... Jodi Benson (Ariel) is the female lead voice in that series.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re:

Post by EricJ » August 26th, 2010, 2:57 am

Randall wrote:Looks like Thundarr and Josie & the Pussycats in Outer Space too, judging by other posts in that thread. Good choices. This looks to be the way of the future for most Warner-owned cartoon shows. Retail, pressed DVDs would be nicer, but if this is the only way they'll get released, then I'm all for it.
So, now that Warner life seems to be picking up in the Archive ghettos, maybe it's time to start talking Quick-Draw and Huck Vol. 2 again? :mrgreen:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Dark Water, Thundarr, Josie coming to Warner Archive

Post by droosan » August 26th, 2010, 3:49 am

I'm hoping so..! :)

And also maybe The Peter Potamus Show, Atom Ant, Secret Squirrel, Frankenstein Jr. and the Impossibles, Shazzan, .. the list goes on for awhile, really.

And -- since Thundarr is on the menu -- I'm hoping we may also see some other Ruby-Spears series, like Fang Face.

I'll buy 'em if you release 'em, Warner Archive! Promise!! :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 26th, 2010, 5:25 am

Ahhhhhhh...Atom Ant and Secret Squirrel... :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » August 26th, 2010, 7:51 am

Of the three, I'll probably get Pirates of Dark Water (I like what I've seen of Thundarr, but somehow I don't feel compelled to own it). I'm rooting for the archive to release Swat Kats and Taz-Mania.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 26th, 2010, 11:57 am

Ahhhhhhh...Taz Mania...my little orange beauty! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » August 27th, 2010, 2:28 pm

Artwork and trailer. Price will be $19.95. Plus it looks like the addams family cartoon might come for halloween!

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Pirate ... ries/14334
Last edited by gaastra on August 27th, 2010, 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » August 27th, 2010, 4:53 pm

They've updated pricing info to 29.95.

Nice to see the H-B trade dress still being used, even for a MOD title.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » August 27th, 2010, 5:39 pm

Pre-ordered, even though PoDW is not one of my 'must-haves' .. but I do wanna encourage this release model for possible future Saturday-morning toons..! :mrgreen:

Agreed on the packaging (even though I generally 're-package' all of my DVD's in thin-paks, anyway). It definitely sets it apart from the standardized 'generic' look of most Warner Archive titles.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » August 28th, 2010, 8:56 am

Just seeing the bright, spiffy package makes me reconsider my decsion to pass on this title. That Hanna-Barbera banner gets me every time. I certainly look forward to other uture cartoon releases from Warner, however I can get them. Totally stoked for Thundarr. Just when I thought things were petering out on the classic cartoon-on-DVD front, Warner Archive comes to the rescue.

Programs like Warner Archive are definitely the future for shows like this, and countless films, so it's nice to see greater effort put into making a nice-looking package. I just bought a few older Archive releases, and they look so uniform and unappealing, even if I love the contents. We collectors are a vain lot. ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 30th, 2010, 5:27 am

As a couple of our more recent WB Archive reviews have pointed out, the line's packaging has changed radically to become more specific to the title instead of the uniform packaging.

But, although this means the titles are getting a more "commercial/mainstream" style to their cover art - often using original poster or production art - the flipside is what I feared what might happen with the concept: that they've started to release these sometime niche titles as WBAC discs instead of pressed platters.

On more than one occasion, there were titles that were announced as "proper" discs that are now trickling out through the WBAC, and you can't tell me realistically that the new "restored/remastered" branded discs didn't have their updates carried out for a more mainstream issue, perhaps before the figures showed they could still land the same audience as a WBAC release.

I haven't had a problem with any of the DVD-Rs with these, but there's something more reassuring about having a pressed disc, especially since there doesn't seem to be a replacement program for any that won't play. Like Rand says, we're a vain lot, but I remain a big supporter of the line and what it's doing...whatever it takes to get some of these obscure films and series out there, right!? :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » September 22nd, 2010, 5:35 pm

And adding to the Warner Archive-salvaged "We're getting H-B after all!" fun:

Accdg. to TVShowsonDVD, the 70's New Addams Family on 10/19:
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Addams ... ries/14435

(And to save reading the article: No, the missing Scooby-Doo episode will likely not be included.)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » September 24th, 2010, 9:47 am

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » September 24th, 2010, 11:32 am

Nice..!

But .. Thundarr was a Ruby-Spears production .. not Hanna-Barbera. :|

Ah, well. I'll pre-order it, anyway! :mrgreen:

Here's hoping Josie and the Pussycats in Outer Space will be launching soon ..

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » September 24th, 2010, 1:33 pm

Josie is still expected shortly. Warner confirmed it with a Tweet they sent out. :)

The WHV guys are pretty loose with applying H-B logos onto various cartoons. Same thing on the Plastic Man packaging (back cover). :roll: