Pokemon!

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » August 25th, 2010, 7:55 pm

I'm torn. I want to see the D/P legendaries movie trilogy, but I really hate the new voices. Are those movies worth seeing anyway?
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » August 25th, 2010, 9:21 pm

Can't help you there, I don't even remember if I've seen the first DP movie. Think it was around the time I gave up on the dub...

I would say if you really want to see them to do so and try not to concentrate on the voices, but I know all too well that's a difficult task! I don't hate them, but for the life of me I can't get used to Sarah's Ash. It's awful. It's not just the voice, it's also her acting. Always sounding so forced! Veronica's Ash is so iconic, you hear it and you automatically picture Ash. Sarah's sounds so ordinary, nothing special. Times I've heard commercials of DP featuring Ash and thought it was Ben 10's voice. (Ben's is leaps better though) One episode I remember had Pikachu nearly die and Sarah sounded incredibly monotone. As if nothing happened. Barely any emotion. And that was after 50 sum episodes. Any other company would've fired her by now, I bet. But hey, let the company try and keep face.

The whole cast lacks that special "oomph" the originals had. I miss watching it, it's not the greatest but I enjoy it. I might catch up on the DP saga one day, but trying now just hurts too much. The new upcoming BW series looks really interesting and I might even watch when it premiers in the US. I would LOVE if they got Veronica back for it, but they haven't so far so I don't see that changing. No silly clauses preventing her from coming back!

For the heck of it, here's a voice comparison of Ash. Not the best, but a pretty good example. And pretty unbiased at that:

I've always heard complaints that Veronica made him sound "girly", but I think her voice was perfect. Especially the lower pitch she gave Ash during AG when she started voicing May.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » August 27th, 2010, 3:25 pm

You learn something new everyday, I guess. Up until now, I had no idea that Ash was even voiced by a girl. lol!
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Otis8 » September 11th, 2010, 4:20 pm

Speaking of the original voices KTLA is giving the first movie today.

And Daniel, wow, don't hold back! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 11th, 2010, 4:56 pm

Haha, that actually was trying to censor myself. It's a touchy subject...

Just noticed the Youtube video I posted above has been removed. Wow. Its been up for a long time, maybe two years? And gets removed shortly after I post it on here. Little suspicious.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Pokemon!

Post by Darkblade » September 13th, 2010, 5:36 pm

How are they gonna end the whole series anyways? I mean I'm surprised it hasnt reached its fall.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Otis8 » February 7th, 2011, 12:50 pm

Here's a preview for the new season, titled Black and White:

Looks pretty cool. Iris sounds great! Ash on the otherhand... :?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 7th, 2011, 1:16 pm

Unimpressed. Sarah's Ash still sounds off. Not so much this preview, but her acting is just so dull. I saw it along with other BW previews during the premier of the 13th movie on CN over the weekend. OK movie, but Sarah's voice... come one. Do they honestly think that's a good voice on its own merits?

I've been watching raw episodes of BW and have actually been enjoying them (even if I understand what they're saying!) but with these previews I think I'm out for another saga.

American_dog_2008

Re: Pokemon!

Post by American_dog_2008 » February 13th, 2011, 4:07 pm

Nostalgia overload!