The Spongebob Squarepants Movie

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

The Spongebob Squarepants Movie

Post by James » November 19th, 2004, 6:31 pm

I'll pipe in later tonight after I see it! What about you other Spongebob fans - what did you think?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » November 19th, 2004, 6:40 pm

Me and my dad are seeing this tomorrow.
And we're both hella excited to see it.

I'll give you my opinion after I see it.
*BOUNCES ANXIOUSLY*

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » November 19th, 2004, 7:01 pm

Great! Just great! After seeing that South Park with "hella" in it I couldn't stop saying it for a month! Now you've got it in my head again!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » November 19th, 2004, 7:30 pm

=)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » November 20th, 2004, 2:15 pm

The Spongebob film was exactly what I expected - a longer version of the TV show. Judging by that criteria it was very very good!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » November 20th, 2004, 2:18 pm

Do you think it is better than The Polar Express?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » November 20th, 2004, 2:26 pm

They are very different movies.

The Spongebob Movie will be more re-watchable. But The Polar Express was better as a film. Spongebob was basically a long TV episode - a very very good TV episode, but a TV episode nonetheless.

Put another way:
The Polar Express was the better film.
Spongebob was my favorite of the two films.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » November 20th, 2004, 3:33 pm

I see what you mean.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » November 20th, 2004, 4:03 pm

***CAUTION. SPOILERS. DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE MOVIE.***

I'm glad James actually enjoyed the film despite the fact that it was a longer version of the TV show. A lot of reviews I read said they hated it for that exact reason.

Now... I thought the PREVIEWS for the movie were insane. And damned if it didn't live up to THAT expectation. The movie COMPELETELY INSANE. I thought the overall story was kept together well, despite the fact that MANY a time does the movie get SO INCREDIBLY RANDOM.

The FINAL scene, which will bring back great 80's rock memories, makes NO sense at all. But, unlike other films where logic is needed to get from point a to point b, the nonsensical ending makes no sense at all, and it doesn't hurt the film. But, it's spongebob. It's nautical nonsense you wish for. Not logic.

I loved, personally, seeing Plankton finally win a little bit. Though I wish he had, at least once, said "I went to college!". I also wished there was more gary/Sandy, but eh, I'm not really complaining. The characters they did focus on more, were sooo funny.

Granted, there WERE some childish parts, but all in all, the humor in that show, and this movie was excellent. The hitman is great, the songs are again, completely random, but also great. And the animation looked really nice.

To top off everything else that was completely random in the movie, every single part that had David Hasslehoff in it, had me laughing my ass off. And the whole "final confrontation with Dennis" culminating atop of hasslehoff's harry back and legs was just GREAT.

I also liked how they never let anything get too serious. Even during the scene inside the "cyclop's" shop, where they are "dying", and they pan out to the pirate audience, it's hilarious.

Finally, I was REALLY impressed with how well they mixed the live action/animated parts during the big chunk of the movie where it WAS live action/animated.

This movie ROCKED. And was INSANE!
Friggin INSANE

And I wore my "Booya" Spongebob shirt for the occasion ^_^

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by monkeyboy12 » November 21st, 2004, 10:44 am

I really diskiked the beginning with the pirates. I just didn't think they needed that.

P.S. Is anyone got the Goffy Gobber song stuck in their head? that was the best part with Sponge getting drunk!
Don't look at me,I'm just a coal miner!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by monkeyboy12 » November 21st, 2004, 10:47 am

I really diskiked the beginning with the pirates. I just didn't think they needed that.

P.S. has anyone got the Goffy Gobber song stuck in their head? that was the best part with Sponge getting drunk!
Don't look at me,I'm just a coal miner!

Banned
Banned

Post by Special_Ed » November 21st, 2004, 2:53 pm

" I was REALLY impressed"

- (from the guy who raved about "Team America: World Police")

Banned
Banned

Post by Special_Ed » November 21st, 2004, 2:53 pm

" I was REALLY impressed"

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Stego » November 23rd, 2004, 3:47 am

***CAUTION. SPOILERS. DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE MOVIE.***

Macaluso, i couldn't have said it better myself. I agree with all you said and more!

Personally, i loved the live-action pirates...it took the whole tv show theme song to a new (and overly but enjoyable/grandeur) level. Kinda reminded me of the opening from Monty Python's "Meaning of Life."

I loved how the rocknroll ending made perfect sense in it's nonsensical...ness. And i'm really glad they pulled that gag from the show where in the "real" world, spongebob is a real sponge and patrick is a real starfish. That was always a favorite part of mine from the show.

Truly goofy, as it was meant to be...all in all, i hope this encourages Nickelodeon to step out of the TV box and be more confident with motion pictures. They've always had great potential, i think.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » November 23rd, 2004, 6:01 am

You just can't go wrong in a movie that has David Hasslehoff in it.

Period.