He-man and Bravestarr return to DVD

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

He-man and Bravestarr return to DVD

Post by gaastra » December 10th, 2010, 9:40 pm

Mill creek is re-releasing he-man and bravestarr complete series on dvd.

No word on bravestarr the movie or secret of the sword.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/He-Man ... ease/14792

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 11th, 2010, 10:24 am

Are these not reissues of the previous BCI discs? Secret Of The Sword did actually already come out, but looks like copies have sold out. I'd expect it to come back again soon enough.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » December 11th, 2010, 4:10 pm

Eh,

They're due for re-issue whether it's the same master materials BCI used or not.

Sad thing is that the BCI releases will probably be the definitive with their excellent presentation and bonuses. This re-release is probably inferior because it lacks those features.

For a while, you could say BCI was a low-end Kino/Criterion for cult animated series.

The problem was that the series were TOO cult and didn't sell well enough to keep BCI afloat!

I'm glad I got my BCI stuff when it was new... Their Dungeons & Dragons set (red box mine) is far superior to the new, cheap-looking DVD sets that have a clump of episodes. I also bought the re-imagined, early 2000's He-Man sets from BCI, too.

Now that I think about it, Robotech's probably overdue for a new release, too. Other than collection of the Remastered, Extended DVD's (the Protoculture set), you can't get some of the DVD collections of it anymore.

I think it's long overdue for a Blu ray release IF the license holder can come up with the necessary goods. Some restoration will have to be done to get the old 16mm footage up to snuff for Hi-Def. Based on the costs of the Macross restoration for that series' US release, the overall show's restoration for HD could cost at least a half-million, probably closer to three-quarters of a million dollars!

I just know Harmony Gold's going to pass on that bill to the company that decides to do a Robotech BD release!

The Japanese sure aren't going to share their HD-remastered film footage (of Macross)!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » December 11th, 2010, 11:32 pm

For anyone that doesn't have the BCI sets and really loves those shows, I'd highly recommend seeking out the BCI sets while they can still be found. I've seen the He-Man (original series) sets going for a fraction of what they intially sold for, so keep an eye out. I don't have them myself, since I'm not a fan (though I did snag the Best of He-Man & She-Ra sets when I saw them cheap---- got the two for $15), but they look to be the gold standard for classic cartoons on DVD, in terms or presentation and bonus material.

These newer releases will likely have the same transfers, but won't have the bonus material. They also appear to be trying to get the shows onto fewer discs, which may mean compression problems. of course, the new sets are way cheaper, unless you can spot a nice deal on the old ones, which do appear from time to time.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » December 17th, 2010, 10:55 am