The Last Unicorn

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 31st, 2007, 4:39 am

Yeah, sounds like the PAL job. The funny thing is, on the German print, it has the title come up in German (it's still English on the included trailers). So somewhere along the line they had to replace that somehow and from some source.

Thanks Rand! :)

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » June 6th, 2007, 11:57 pm

What is it about Germans and unicorns anyway? :lol:

P.S. -- As far as I know, The Last Unicorn soundtrack is only available in a German edition. The only difference on the CD from the movie is that a different woman sings "Now That I'm A Woman" on the CD. In the film version, Mia Farrow TRIED her best, but oh well...! Shoulda done an Audrey Hepburn for that part of the movie. :oops:

I got my copy of the German CD years before I bought the first US edition of The Last Unicorn on DVD...

Not so oddly enough (last time I checked), Amazon USA still has copies of The Last Unicorn CD for sale on its website!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 7th, 2007, 4:13 am

It's a good album. Had it on in the car not more than a week ago. Good score too.

GeorgeC

The Last Unicorn gets Blu ray release...

Post by GeorgeC » December 1st, 2010, 9:17 pm

12/1/2010

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents --

"Also today, Lionsgate has set a Memento: 10th Anniversary Edition for Blu-ray release on 2/22/11, along with the Blu-ray Combo pack release of The Last Unicorn...."

This is the animated film (1982) worked on by members of Studio Ghibli in the early 1980s... There is no other version of The Last Unicorn on film.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Foxtale » December 13th, 2010, 8:57 pm

Ohhh, I already have it on DVD 2 times... a 3rd time can't hurt. ;)

Not to be "that" person, but i really hope they don't have that fiasco where they cut the movie for the DVD that was released for walmart. Taking out those little details really bothered me. >.<

Thanks for the heads up. :D
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/Foxtale/almostthere_signature_smaller.jpg[/img]

GeorgeC

Re: The Last Unicorn

Post by GeorgeC » December 14th, 2010, 12:19 am

Those Wal-Mart "special edition" DVDs generally don't go over well or sell for that matter.

They used to have a lock on the Cartoon Network edits of Inu Yasha.
THOSE season sets never sold! Anime fans want the unedited original versions of anime with all the blood, guts, and nudity.

Yeah, I suspect The Last Unicorn BD will be an unedited release everywhere.

Chances are I'll still buy it at Best Buy unless Wal-Mart gets an exclusive slip cover and digital copy!

This is definitely one of my favorite Disney films. It has an earnest sweetness that doesn't sour with age. Very Japanese thanks to the animators and character designers. It looks almost like a cross between character designs for the Rankin-Bass Hobbit and Return of the King TV specials and Leiji Matsumoto's Captain Harlock and Starblazers character designs!

Weird, but it's something I've definitely noticed!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » December 14th, 2010, 2:33 am

GeorgeC wrote:This is definitely one of my favorite Disney films. It has an earnest sweetness that doesn't sour with age. Very Japanese thanks to the animators and character designers. It looks almost like a cross between character designs for the Rankin-Bass Hobbit and Return of the King TV specials and Leiji Matsumoto's Captain Harlock and Starblazers character designs!
It's one of my favorite independently distributed Rankin-Bass films that Disney never made... :roll:
(Disney's 1982 offering that same month was a Peter Pan revival.)

Which probably explains why it LOOKS so much "like the Rankin-Bass Return of the King". Although it's hard to tell for sure.

American_dog_2008

Post by American_dog_2008 » December 22nd, 2010, 6:34 pm

The Last Unicorn remake plan is gone.
Last edited by American_dog_2008 on December 22nd, 2010, 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 22nd, 2010, 6:40 pm

That's been dead for almost ten years! Where's the *current* link at?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Darkblade » December 24th, 2010, 9:56 am

I am not surprised that the last unicorn remake is canned

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

The Last Unicorn Blu Ray

Post by Hewylewis » January 12th, 2011, 12:56 am

Have you guys heard this? If not, here's the news.

DVDActive reports that Lionsgate Home Entertainment has announced a Blu-ray/DVD Combo release of The Last Unicorn for February 22nd. Extras on this release will include a commentary with Writer Peter S. Beagle and Publisher Connor Cochran, featurettes ("Immortal Voices" and "Peter S. Beagle and His Work"), a Tail of The Last Unicorn mini-documentary, Schmendrick's Magical Gallery, a 2010 The Last Unicorn Art Contest Gallery, an Escape the Red Bull PC Game, and the original trailer.

So far, this sounds even better than that below average 25th aniversary DVD. I mean, with Peter S. Beagle behind the production of the Blu Ray, it can't fail. What do you guys think?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: The Last Unicorn Blu Ray

Post by Whippet Angel » January 12th, 2011, 5:22 am

I'm a bit annoyed, considering the fact that I already bought it twice, and will probably buy it again if the extras are worth it. :P

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Hewylewis » January 12th, 2011, 11:41 am

Same here. I mean the first one wasn't in good shape and in full screen, the second was in widescreen and had a great picture, but the sound was in a higher pitch and the swearing was cut out. The special features were okay, but not good enough. But thankfully, the features for the Blu Ray sound great!! I mean, it will be uncut, commentary by the man himself, and a making-of featurette!!

BONUS: I hope the menu music will be better. The first DVD, to be honest, had great music for its menu. The second one sounded too teen country and kid friendly. I hope the Blu Ray will have at least music from the film or at least an America song.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Hewylewis » January 22nd, 2011, 1:00 am

I so hope they don't screw us over with this release!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Hewylewis » February 2nd, 2011, 2:21 am

Anyone else concerned?