Blue Sky's Rio

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Blue Sky's Rio

Post by estefan » October 5th, 2009, 10:06 am

I didn't find a thread on this, but I just read about this Blue Sky project directed by Carlos Saldanha. It's apparently about a nerdy American parrot who travels to Rio de Janeiro. It's set for release for April 2011. I like the story if done well, this could work.

I've been wanting to see Disney follow up Saludos Amigos/Three Caballeros with a Jose Carioca feature for a long time and while not the same thing, it's close enough.

Thoughts?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Blue Sky's Rio

Post by EricJ » October 5th, 2009, 11:26 am

Jose Carioca was not "nerdy". (And besides, he went to Bai'a...Have you?)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by estefan » October 5th, 2009, 11:36 am

I was more referring to the storyline of a parrot in Brazil. And Jose did go to Rio in Saludos Amigos.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ribbedebie » October 5th, 2009, 12:52 pm

^ and, he lives in Rio in the Dutch 'Donald Duck Weekblad' weekly comics.

But, I think this movie could be interesting. The only movies I know Blue Sky made are the Ice Age trilogy and Robots...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by estefan » May 20th, 2010, 7:04 pm

Just watched the teaser for this. Wow, I know it's early, but it looks like it will be far and away Blue Sky's best one yet. It was hilarious and even watching it on my 2-D monitor, I was wowed by the flying scenes.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » May 20th, 2010, 8:08 pm

Wow... That looks gorgeous. Story sounds good too.

Link to teaser:
http://thefilmstage.com/2010/05/20/blue ... d-trailer/

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by GRUNT » May 20th, 2010, 9:21 pm

I gotta say that the thing that really stuck out for me is the vibe of Rio de Janeiro itself. The music (obviously), the sights and sounds, that sense of excitement and partying all around you.

It actually reminded me a lot of Lilo and Stitch because the Hawaiian vibe was one of the things that made that film, and so I can't help but be interested in Rio for wanting to immerse the audience in an atmosphere with such rich culture.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by starlioness » May 21st, 2010, 5:51 pm

it looks pretty sweet , but doesn't this kinda sound like Ice age 2 and Newt (before it got cancelled?)..

oh well, Blue Parrots rock XD

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 30th, 2011, 5:37 pm

Loving everything about this!

The obvious things that come to mind are the Disney features of the 1940s, but Rio has a cool vibe of its own that recalls those films in a very nice way. The opening two minutes that they just posted had a big grin on my face all the way through it, and on the big screen that's going to be quite a beautiful sight!

http://animatedviews.com/2011/first-two ... ow-online/

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » January 30th, 2011, 8:04 pm

Sweet. That looks amazing! :D

I was starting to get a bit worried, as the latest trailer that I saw made it look like just another run-of-the-mill, heavily pop-culture referenced talking animal flick.

This makes me feel a bit better. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Czarine » January 31st, 2011, 4:15 am

@Ben, the link you posted isn't the first 2 minutes of the feature, but I think it's the first trailer... Or second, I'm not even sure. :P

I would post the link in this message, but for some reason I'm not allowed to post links... It's on Bing and on Trailer Addict though, so if you just Google 'Rio first 2 minutes' you're bound to find it. :) If you still can't find it, an animator from Pixar, Catherine Hicks, posted the link to the first 2 minutes in one of her tweets on the 28st of january. Her Twitter account is 'cathicks'. :)

I can't explain why I'm so superexcited for this movie to come out. I'm not going to bother to even try to explain it... I'm just going to drag my gf to the movies to see this and we're going to love it, regardless of what the critics will have to say about it.

I'm hooked! :D

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » January 31st, 2011, 4:39 am

First time(s) I saw the preview, I found myself thinking, "Okay, so basically, right down the line, this IS what Pixar's Newt would've been, only in some other studio's generic form, right?"

(I know I said that about Alpha & Omega, but in this case...WOW: :shock:
Not just the last-remaining-endangered-species couple, and not used to the wild, and trying to break out on their own, but the cute-single owner going after them...You almost want to do a paternity check to see whether this one started filming before or after Pixar dropped theirs.)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Czarine » January 31st, 2011, 8:43 am

Pixar dropped Newt somewhere in 2010. The average production time of an animated movie is 4 years. I think this is just coincidence, as I think 4 years ago nobody knew about Pixar wanting to make the movie Newt except for Pixar themselves.

Also, there's been no released material of Newt as far as I know, so you can't really tell whether they are or aren't very similar. Besides, if you would reduce every movie's plot to a single line like that you could even say Bolt is a ripoff from Toy Story (character thinks he's a superhero > character gets lost > character goes on an epic journey to get back > character finds out along the way that he's not the superhero he thought he was).

Also, on a side note, (@EricJ) there's close to no 'filming' involved in the actual production of an animated feature. Unless, of course, said feature contains live action elements like Wall-E.

American_dog_2008

Post by American_dog_2008 » January 31st, 2011, 11:18 am

I can't wait for Rio and ice Age Continental Drift! :D

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 31st, 2011, 2:15 pm

The two minutes are at the link...it auto loads the teaser, but another trailer and the film's intro ARE there (that's where I watched it!). :)