"Legend of the Guardians"

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Team
AV Team

"Legend of the Guardians"

Post by Dacey » July 13th, 2010, 10:38 pm

Realized today that we didn't seem to have a topic for this film yet, so I went ahead and started one. :)

As you all probably know, this movie is from the animation studio that did "Happy Feet," and comes from director Zack Snyder, the man who brought us "300" and "Watchmen." It also features owls who apparently kick a lot of butt...or does it just include adorable owls who tell annoying knock-knock jokes? Time will tell.

One thing that seems clear to me anyway is that the animation is very impressive. The movie also seems ideal for 3-D due to all of the flying that there's sure to be in the story. The flying scenes in "Avatar" and "How to Train Your Dragon" were among the most impressive in that format.

Anyone else have any thoughts?
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: "Legend of the Guardians"

Post by LotsoA113 » February 1st, 2011, 11:26 am

Went on a slight binge of Blu-Ray buying. Legend Of the guardians, Red, Despiable Me, The Town and The Kids Are All Right wer all purchase and I have to say I enjoyed the LOTG. The animation was impressive, a bit cliche o a story, but it's wonderful to see some tins being pushed in the field o animation that isn't just from the Pixar wizards.

One thin I'd like to one is I felt is that holdings, mythology being a large part of the story and a just he vibe of it all reminded me of Guillermo Del Toro. Don't know why though :?
I love all things cinema, from silent movies to world cinema to animated cinema to big blockbusters to documentaries and everything in between!

American_dog_2008

Post by American_dog_2008 » February 1st, 2011, 1:51 pm

A movie that should had been seen in the cinema.

I thought the movie would be Oscar material.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Czarine » February 1st, 2011, 4:08 pm

Hmmm, LotG seems to be lacking in both ticket sales and fanbase. How the world is receiving this movie is definitely underwhelming, because it deserves a lot more. I thought it was a great movie with outstanding animation. Pure eyecandy.

Oh well... Life's unfair, I guess.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Hewylewis » February 2nd, 2011, 2:19 am

Damn straight!! Why dod people wanna ignore this movie so much? Is Pixar paying people to hate this movie or something?

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » February 3rd, 2011, 5:18 pm

As I've yet to see this movie on a television, I'm not quite sure if it's as good as my memory tells me it was. I mean, on a big screen in 3-D, it was MIND-BLOWING. But its flaws might show more whenever I give it another viewing in the future.

Still, the battle sequences were truly impressive, even if it did feel as though Zack Snyder was just re-creating "300" with owls at some points. Not that there's anything wrong with that, of course. ;)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 4th, 2011, 2:53 am

My interest in seeing this just shot up. "300 with owls"? Sounds like an undiscovered gem! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re:

Post by Czarine » February 4th, 2011, 4:24 am

Ben wrote:My interest in seeing this just shot up. "300 with owls"? Sounds like an undiscovered gem! :)
Well, the special effects for 300 were done by Animal Logic, if my memory serves me right (I think it would be on their website, but I don't have the time to check it right now), so the yeah... It's not coincidence that it seems similar. :)

I think it looked 'over the top' for 300, but in Legend of the Guardians it actually works great! It's like watching a moving digital painting! :)