Entertaining reading at AnimationNation

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
GeorgeC

Entertaining reading at AnimationNation

Post by GeorgeC » February 2nd, 2011, 1:33 pm

From http://animationnation.com/community/vi ... ?f=4&t=802

A post called "The Enigma of the Animation Industry (or Community)"

This goes into details some of the personality conflicts, jealousies, and insecurities.

One of my "favorite blogs" is referenced as a site "that likes to flame controversy" for its own sake.

Given the fact that Charles recently had a post about "people who work in animation but aren't artists" I was somewhat amused to see that one of the guys from "fake controversy-ville" responded to the post.

There's only two choices on who it can be, guys...

...And I doubt it's the annoying, vomit-inducing P-guy... He's nobody as far as the industry is concerned.

The other fellow (who is most likely the one who got his ego bruised) is probably the number 2 go-to-guy for animation after Leonard Maltin who holds a lot more clout in Hollywood.

NOW, normally I'm not one to gossip, but I know some of us have been a pit peeved at some industry people's behavior in the not-so-distant past.

The ANN post is enlightening to say the least...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » February 3rd, 2011, 7:59 am

Look, I'm sorry if I am a little brash but I don't deserve this kind of abuse!

;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Entertaining reading at AnimationNation

Post by droosan » February 3rd, 2011, 1:44 pm

I still consider Charles as a friend, personally .. but the constant 'negative vibes' on Animation Nation (from lots of different members) kept me from enjoying myself there.

I decided not to renew my ASIFA-Hollywood membership this year, for much the same reason.

Most of the productions on which I work are pure 'junk' .. but darned if I don't still manage to have a blast while working on them; I wouldn't trade my career for anything. :mrgreen:

But some people in this business (it seems) can never be happy .. and don't seem to want anyone else to be, either. :|
Last edited by droosan on February 3rd, 2011, 2:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » February 3rd, 2011, 2:03 pm

I understand, Droo.

I remember reading Shamus Culhane's books and even he said words to the effect that "we all have to do @#%@# once in a while to survive."

Despite the bad vibe on Animation Nation -- a lot of the stuff got really bad on politics and some of the topics leered into looney land and naivety at times --, it's still far worse on blogs that "lead the animation discourse." One of those guys got sore at Charles. That was what I read into it...

I only occasionally look at either site now. I feel so much more positive not bothering with either site on a regular basis.