The Secret of NIMH

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: The Secret of NIMH

Post by Hewylewis » February 25th, 2011, 9:18 pm

Who here is p***** off at the all dogs 1 and 2 cover art?

http://www.amazon.com/All-Dogs-Go-Heave ... B004NDJXRQ

Well, if any of you are, there's still hope to get them to change it. I mean, it worked for Disney when they released their art for the Lion King Blu Ray.

Before fans outcry

After Fans outcry

I'm sure it will work for the All Dogs Go To Heaven Blu Ray, too. So, here's what you do.

You can e-mail MGM at: 4you@MGM.com

You can call MGM's customer service line at: 1-877-646-4968

Hurry everyone, before we're stuck with the ugly cover art we see now!!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » February 25th, 2011, 9:52 pm

My God.... :shock: That ADGtH cover is seriously ugly. The ADGtH 2 cover looks even worse. Poor Charlie... Somehow his muzzle has become deformed, his cheeks have grown uneven, and his right ear has swollen to twice the size of his left. It's laughable how bad these are. :mrgreen:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Hewylewis » February 25th, 2011, 10:31 pm

You gonna contact MGM and tell them?

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » February 26th, 2011, 4:22 pm

Um...even if someone does tell them, there's a 99.9% chance that they won't give a darn. ;)

It's not like the All Dogs films are considered "classics" anyway.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Hewylewis » February 26th, 2011, 4:32 pm

Well, the first one has a strong cult following, and I think it deserves respect. But the cover, or at least the bottom half says "F*&$ it!"

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » February 27th, 2011, 6:50 pm

I agree, the whole design of the cover is just awful...Glad to see they've made changes to The Lion King's design though!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 27th, 2011, 7:06 pm

Edited Huey's post above - watch your language please.

Can't say I'm too bothered by the All Dogs artwork, but the travesty that is Anastasia on Blu is awfully bad.

And what was the big deal with Lion King? The title treatment and a couple of minor character poses aside, what gives? Seemed to me the original title was continuing the trend starting with Bambi, which looked like a new Diamond Edition packaging treatment to me. People really got worked up about how the title looked on the cover? Wow...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Hewylewis » February 27th, 2011, 7:22 pm

Well, Nala looked more like Sarabi, Simba's chin was too big, and Timon's face was just...wrong. I am very happy with the new look, and I hope we can convince MGM to fix their cover.

PS: Sorry for the language, dude.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Re:

Post by Randall » February 27th, 2011, 7:31 pm

Ben wrote:Can't say I'm too bothered by the All Dogs artwork, but the travesty that is Anastasia on Blu is awfully bad.
They had a great cover with the very first DVD, and have only gotten worse with subsequent releases. I may just print a copy of the old DVD cover to place in the Blu-ray case.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Hewylewis » February 27th, 2011, 7:35 pm

Or you could contact MGM and ask them to fix it. But do what you want. If this fails, I'll just hire an artist to draw a better version.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » February 27th, 2011, 9:58 pm

That would be Fox Home Video, actually .. M-G-M hasn't had the home video rights to NIMH or All Dogs for several years, now.

And -- of course -- Anastasia has always been a Fox (title).

-----------

That said, I tend to 're-package' all of my DVDs & Blus for myself, anyway. Most of the time, I use the original-release poster art for the front covers.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Hewylewis » February 27th, 2011, 10:09 pm

droosan wrote:That would be Fox Home Video, actually .. M-G-M hasn't had the home video rights to NIMH or All Dogs for several years, now.

And -- of course -- Anastasia has always been a Fox (title).

-----------

That said, I tend to 're-package' all of my DVDs & Blus for myself, anyway. Most of the time, I use the original-release poster art for the front covers.
Crud...

American_dog_2008

Post by American_dog_2008 » March 8th, 2011, 1:14 pm

I don't care.

At least All Dogs will be on Blu Ray.

For on topic I prefer my NIMH VHS.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 17th, 2011, 4:08 pm

Just got the NIMH disc and for the record it is indeed an MGM release, just distributed through their deal with Fox.

In short, this is a duff disc: the transfer isn't the greatest (a lot of grain, cel scuffs and dirt floating around) and the extras are almost non-existent. Even what is there (audio commentary with Bluth and Goldman, Secrets Of NIMH featurette and the trailer) are lacking, the featurette only playing in the top right quarter screen (though the trailer is 4:3 HD).

Interesting possible glitch, though: does anyone else have this disc and are you having trouble playing the English 2.0 Surround DTS-HD track? The track is silent, only intermittently stuttering with sound sometimes, but every other track on the disc (foreign languages and commentary) all play fine...!? :?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » April 17th, 2011, 8:13 pm

I really wanted the Blu-ray to be great, but it looks like the latest (Family Fun) DVD will due me just as well or better. I really wish another company owned these Bluth films (well, not Universal, of course).