Gnomeo And Juliet

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 28th, 2010, 8:23 am

Well, Eric's gone off on something I wasn't even talking about (and Disney's worked on many more licensed characters than just those two).

BTW, Judge Dredd was actually from the British Fleetway comic 2000AD (from 1977) before he popped up in several DC stories - for which he was only licensed - in the 1990s.

Nice to see someone else is being positive about this one, Bill. I'm getting that fun little vibe as well from this. I think the February date could give this some surprising legs...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by MrsTashlin » September 30th, 2010, 3:56 pm

i would certainly go see it. :) looks really cute.

American_dog_2008

Re: Gnomeo And Juliet

Post by American_dog_2008 » September 30th, 2010, 4:36 pm

I'm not in a rush to see the movie.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Gnomeo And Juliet

Post by TouchstonePics » February 2nd, 2011, 5:16 pm

Hey guys, it has been a while since this thread has received any comments, so I figured we should get the conversation started again. I work on behalf of Touchstone Pictures to spread the word about our films, and it seems like you fans might be interested in checking out a clip from our upcoming movie. Let me know if you guys are interested, and I'll post the link. Thanks.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » February 2nd, 2011, 7:14 pm

Movie looks horrible

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by The Zany Bishojo Evalana » February 2nd, 2011, 7:47 pm

I don't know, it looks kinda cute.
[url=http://rabbithutchiscalling.blogspot.com][img]http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg78/evalana/sig_feet.png[/img][/url]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » February 3rd, 2011, 5:17 am

I'm interested in seeing the clip.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re:

Post by TouchstonePics » February 3rd, 2011, 4:10 pm

Bill1978 wrote:I'm interested in seeing the clip.
Hey, I'm new around here and didn't realize I have to have a certain number of posts before I can provide links. The video I wanted to show you is called "Kick Some Grass". If you go to YouTube and search "gnome kick some grass" (not in quotes)...it should be the first video. Let me know if you have problems finding it. Thanks.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » February 26th, 2011, 6:11 am

Hmmm, it seems that perhaps John Lassetter dropped the ball by shutting production down when this was still in Disney's court.

I still haven't seen it, and it looks more likely it will be DVD for me. But I'm still keen to check it out as the ads still make me smile.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by estefan » February 27th, 2011, 9:00 am

Yeah, Gnomeo & Juliet is doing very well, though part of that is helped by there not being any other family films out right now. Expect Rango to take away some of its audience next week.

Speaking of Lasseter, though, I think this seriously needed his touch. Unlike Tangled, it's obvious that the screenplay had been in development for ten years. There are too many lame pop culture jokes in the script, that even DreamWorks has stopped resorting to, the past couple of years. And a key pivotal moment that could have been a great, emotional moment is ruined by a really poorly placed gag.

That said, the animation is very detailed and nice (I like how the gnomes actually looked painted), the voice-work is solid and the Elton John songs were well-placed. The script just needed another re-write. Oh and if you plan on seeing it on the big-screen, watch it in 2-D, as the 3-D added absolutely nothing, in my opinion.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » February 27th, 2011, 4:51 pm

Are there any musical moments in the film or are the songs just played out over the action?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by estefan » February 27th, 2011, 6:05 pm

The songs are mostly played as background music. However, there is one scene where a garden gnome is singing a variation of "Your Song" which soon transitions into the real thing.

And a couple of characters sing along to "Crocodile Rock" at one point.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 27th, 2011, 6:47 pm

I'm loving that this is "the little film that could" that I hoped it would be, as I wrote somewhere above.

Gnomeo And Juliet seemed like a fun, flippant idea for a film, and I'm glad it wasn't able to be completely killed off. Now that it's doing quite well - for whatever reason, even if there are no other family films out there a new one wouldn't do any well if it was truly bad - I hope Disney will get behind it more for the disc release.

I'm surprised at Lasseter's reaction to it (the "why are we making this?" comment) as it seemed a nice little fun thing from the beginning, and the resulting painted gnomes look has been pulled off very well; the "edgy" nature of the project trimmed away for what is a straight, well made, geunine family picture.

Maybe he just didn't like the Toy Story aspect (characters come alive when humans aren't looking), but it's not as if that was exactly unexplored territory itself...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 2nd, 2011, 5:01 pm

More on the background on the making of G&J: Elton John can't help himself to a cheeky little rant on how he feels (rightly) that the film was let down by the Mouse House:

http://animatedviews.com/2011/elton-joh ... nd-juliet/

Such a shame that this wasn't released "properly" and that they tried to bury it several different ways. Far from the adult-themed reasons that were rumored (as with Wild Life) as to why it was considered worthy of shutting down, the final result is a really nice, sweet animated movie that feels refreshingly old-school.

Maybe Disney can make it up to the film when it hits disc?

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » March 2nd, 2011, 7:53 pm

No, they won't. John L NEVER admits he's wrong about something.

And if he's not careful, he'll lose his sainthood with the press.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."