Cars 2

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re:

Post by EricJ » February 6th, 2011, 8:13 pm

Bill1978 wrote:Not sure why you need to attack me for wishing movie critics didn't fawn all over everything Pixar. I had the same problem with The Lion King and original Shrek. Good movies that were elevated to outstanding by the critics. Hell, I watched Despicable Me for the firswt time on the weekend and walked away wondering why all the love for a good movie.
I will repeat again I'm not anti-Pixar. I'm anti the critics who gloss over the minor pitfalls of Pixar movies but are happy to poke out thesame pitfalls in other movies.
Then let's stay focused--
Yes, I can roll a few eyes too at critics who "discover" that they happen to like what they call "a kids' movie" (which brings up the obvious question of what they themselves stereotypically thought a "kids movie" was, if they happen to like this one on even ground)...And overreact in their attempt to give it official grownup "validation", to prove how it must be something NEW AND DIFFERENT, if adults like it too: Any animated movie can be good, but a Pixar must win Best Picture, or else they'd look like immature fools for liking a "cartoon"! :roll:
The same--the exact same--alibi can be applied to the false manias for Lion King, Beauty&Beast, Shrek 1, Finding Nemo (although those two also had historical context working in their favor at the time), Happy Feet, and yes, Despicable Me. (Credit the "Every good movie is Pixar" factor for influencing that, and Dragon.)

That said, I keep my anger nicely managed, and DON'T blame the studio for its fans--I blame the grownup fans for being fanboys with other issues than the movie (and for not coming clean that they just liked a darn good movie with good story and characters), and I also realize it got that way from being made by a studio who knows what good story and characters look like.
Frankly, I didn't think TS3 was better than TS2 (Jessie's broken-dreams flashback was better than Lotso's), but I was still rooting for it to beat the Facebook movie for Best Picture--Just so we'd HAVE that final epiphany, grownups could come out of the "kiddie-movie" closet, and we'd be a little more open about what posturing fools we'd been for the last twenty years since Mermaid. I'll admit rooting for Up to finish the whole campaign too, and suspect it's not going to happen with Cars 2 or Brave. (Although Brave would be nice, if it can manage.)

Yes, Cars 1 was a tad predictable, and so Doc Hollywood right down the line, you wonder why they didn't just cast Woody Harrelson as Mater...But even though I didn't warm to it, I also didn't jump on the bandwagon to wish for the Mythical Flop just because it "would've been more interesting". And the fact that I'm on an animation board means I'm relatively used to the idea of seeing one, and not putting up some veneer to falsely credit some "mysterious factor" in the movie for my liking it, rather than my naturally liking it.
It's frustrating to not be a neurotic posturing, self-defensive grownup, I know--and have to watch all those others go through their circus act--but I simply take the honest approach and say what I said walking out of Nemo: A "bad" Pixar is still better than the best movies other CGI studios make in their entire career.
Think it has something to do with their knowing what they're doing, and as long as that's in play, I'm not going to take the sucker bet that their next "flop" is around the corner, or that they've suddenly decided to jump after the sequel buck. That's just too easy to be plausible.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » February 6th, 2011, 9:05 pm

Glad we are finally on the same page Eric J assuming this isn't directed at me - "It's frustrating to not be a neurotic posturing, self-defensive grownup"

Although I still scratch my head at being called petulant. At no point have I felt that I have had sudden anger over something trivial.

Back to the topic: I know my nephew will love Cars 2, that's the market they are hoping to catch. He thoughourly enjoyed the CARtoons DVD I gave him for Christmas. I know I will definitely buy Cars 2 on DVD and watch it. But making a special 1 hour trip to view it at the cinema. I don't think so. Same goes for Winnie-The-Pooh. In fact, in regards to the 2011 animated slate it looks most of my viewings will be done via DVD. Hopefully a movie (even Cars 2) can do something to encourage me to go see it on the big screen.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Re:

Post by Ben » February 9th, 2011, 3:58 pm

EricJ wrote:I keep my anger nicely managed...
:?: :shock:

With some recent outbursts aimed at other members of this forum, does anyone else believe Eric has crossed the line (again)? I got my finger itching on that ol' trigger...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Cars 2

Post by LotsoA113 » February 9th, 2011, 7:35 pm

As he attacked me when I when I was relatively new to the forum, I know that Eric J CAN be a bully. This is certainly one lf these times where he seemsto go overboard.

Pull the trigger, Ben, pull the trigger!!!
I love all things cinema, from silent movies to world cinema to animated cinema to big blockbusters to documentaries and everything in between!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by DisneyPictures » February 16th, 2011, 9:57 am

Thought all the Pixar fans in hear would like to know that John Lasseter will have his own character in Cars 2! You can see and read about "John Lassetire" here.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » February 16th, 2011, 2:31 pm

As someone on the TAG board pointed out, why did he have to get the yellow pickup that he drives?--
Wouldn't he have been more recognizable as a surf(-shirted) beach woody-wagon? :mrgreen:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by DisneyPictures » February 25th, 2011, 10:12 am

That would have been cute EricJ!

Here's two more new characters! Meet Miles Axelrod and Nigel Gearsley.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » March 7th, 2011, 11:45 pm

Okay...this is kinda weird. A new "Cars 2" trailer appeared online sometime today, but now I can't seem to find it anywhere! It's almost as if it vanished from the internet.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 8th, 2011, 4:26 pm

Perhaps it was leaked early by mistake?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by estefan » March 8th, 2011, 9:44 pm

Here's the new one:

Can't wait to buy the toys! :wink:

But, in all seriousness, I will see it. But, you just know whoever is manufacturing the toys is having a kick-ass time putting them together. Who didn't love driving their Hot Wheels up that swirling parking garage as a child?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re:

Post by EricJ » March 8th, 2011, 9:51 pm

And those who want the previous one in 1080p can already find it on the Nausicaa Blu-ray, and likely on either of next month's Tron Blu-rays as well.

This would be the first official every-character trailer, with the full-plot trailer to come later in April--As apparently Pixar doesn't have to be as legendarily "Let Dreamworks guess" closed-mouth with its sequels as it does with its new films.
Last edited by EricJ on March 8th, 2011, 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by carlminez » March 11th, 2011, 12:19 pm

Yet another sequel from Pixar?
A sequel to a movie that wasn't particularly good to begin with.

Will Cars 2 mark Pixar's inevitable decline? The beginning of the end?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re:

Post by EricJ » March 11th, 2011, 12:41 pm

carlminez wrote:Yet another sequel from Pixar?
Will Cars 2 mark Pixar's inevitable decline?
(...Uh, you DID this one already, Carl, please try to keep track.) :P

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 11th, 2011, 1:39 pm

Twice actually, but who's keeping track. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ELIOLI » March 11th, 2011, 4:35 pm

In all honesty, I was never a big fan of the first one. Doesn't quite have that spirit like most of Pixar's films. But hey, that's just me.
Maybe the fascination with talking cars doesn't appeal to me as much.
:p
http://www.elioliart.com/