Cars 2

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Re:

Post by carlminez » March 11th, 2011, 7:23 pm

EricJ wrote:(...Uh, you DID this one already, Carl, please try to keep track.) :P
I did O.o

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » March 12th, 2011, 3:49 am

Oh, you remember, that was when we got all upset about trying to explain all the messy details of the whole Circle 7 story, and why they made the standard Internet-generic "All they do is sequels" stuff look noobie and amateurish?....
And how the Cars thing really didn't have anything to do with it, since that was just Bob Iger getting hyperdefensive about the "proven popularity of the marketing", every time analysts start unfairly picking on a recent movie's box office? (And then he tries to pump up more Princess/Frog marketing just to show 'em, even though the rest of us've pretty much given it over to Tangled by this point?)

I mean, at this point, if it's just going to be repeating old posts, we can do the same thing--Just code the responses and say "Oh, that one's response 237-A, 'Iger feels picked on'."
Last edited by EricJ on March 12th, 2011, 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by carlminez » March 12th, 2011, 9:20 am

You are not replying to anything i said, are you?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » March 12th, 2011, 12:20 pm

Um, no, thought was the idea; why do you ask? :P

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by carlminez » March 12th, 2011, 12:28 pm

I dont know Im just confused today.

Nonetheless, to get us back on track. Why on earth is Pixar making this movie? I mean, John Lasseter himself said that he disapproves of sequels. I've seen the trailer and while I certainly like the colorful backdrop of Japan, it just seems like the classic kind of meaningless sequel in which the plot is basically an excuse to show off some cool action scenes.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » March 12th, 2011, 2:48 pm

THEN...MAYBE...IT...WASN'T....LASSETER'S...IDEA,....THEN,...WAS....IT?????????? :roll:

(Remember, Bob Iger announced it the same week as the Cars land at Disneyland--
Can't blame him for being so overdefensive about the first movie: Have to remember, the grownup-cult for Pixar was just starting back then in '05-'06, and the "Gasp, it didn't make as much as Nemo!" furor when it opened was a bit of childishness we've since grown out of...Still, I'm on Bob's side; for that to fuel a lot of the critics' cheap shots and Oscar snubbing when Warner's "Happy Feet" came out was just plain unfair. :x )

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by carlminez » March 12th, 2011, 2:58 pm

EricJ wrote:THEN...MAYBE...IT...WASN'T....LASSETER'S...IDEA,....THEN,...WAS....IT?????????? :roll:
Yeah, that makes perfect sense doesn't it? The old Pixar-guru is the freaking director of an upcoming animated feature and you think that it maybe wasn't Lasseter's idea?
He is the director! I can't think of a way he could be more involved in this project.

Make no mistake, I still have a lot of respect for John Lasseter. He is like the Gabe Newell of animated movies.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » March 12th, 2011, 3:16 pm

Carl, do you ever say anything on this forum that's not about "Bolt"-loving or Pixar-hating?

;)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re:

Post by carlminez » March 12th, 2011, 3:18 pm

Haha! Nah, I'm sure I wrote at some point that I disliked the ending oh HTTYD.

AV Team
AV Team

Re: Cars 2

Post by Dacey » March 12th, 2011, 3:27 pm

Okay, so one post. Impressive. :roll:

And I'm really not trying to be mean here (but am I annoyed? Yeah, by now, I kinda am). I'm just saying that we are an animation forum with a general love for animated movies in general. If all you're going to do is post negative comments, then why are you even here?
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Cars 2

Post by carlminez » March 12th, 2011, 3:50 pm

That is a good question. Truth to be told, I never planned to be an active member here. I posted that TS3 thread on several different forums, and I just happened to get caught up in a discussion on this forum.

I never thought I'd get that much attention, let alone that I would manage to actually annoy anyone. And if that is the case with you then I'm sorry and I'll calm down, but you should really take my ranting with a pinch of salt. I dont actually hate Pixar. I don't think anyone would be able to literally hate something as simple as a studio.

But my TS3 wasn't all attentionwhoring. I really did hate TS3, and I was annoyed with how it was glorified by critics and Pixar fanboys, and really, all I wanted was to hear where the supposed brilliance in this movie is, because I must have missed it. By now, I've realized that this is a smaller forum, and that users here seem to know each other. And I'll adapt to that.
Last edited by carlminez on March 12th, 2011, 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » March 12th, 2011, 4:13 pm

carlminez wrote:Yeah, that makes perfect sense doesn't it? The old Pixar-guru is the freaking director of an upcoming animated feature and you think that it maybe wasn't Lasseter's idea?
He is the director! I can't think of a way he could be more involved in this project.
He could if he OWNED THE COMPANY. He doesn't.

(Okay, last time, because I love bashing my head against two-foot-thick brick walls:
At Disney, sequels are legally not covered under the category of "Movies", they are seen as extensions of "Character Marketing". That was one of the particular sticky points about that Circle 7 mess that you remember, right?
Cars, like Princess/Frog, ended up getting a bum rap from a misfired box-office accident it may not have deserved...And when that happens, Bob Iger, who DOES own the company, rallies to the audience's side, and tries to show how the marketing sales prove that people really did like the movie in the longrun and on home video, Monday-morning knee-jerk box office headlines be darned.
Which explains why everyone else is trying to explain the sequel with "marketing", although if you've watched Iger long enough, you know that the reason runs a little strategically deeper than that. Lasseter may be against sequels, but he still has affection for the story...And if the Boss Man suggests one, he's already had enough open-minded experience at how to do them on demand to not be against the idea of making sure nobody else ruins one.)
Last edited by EricJ on March 12th, 2011, 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by carlminez » March 12th, 2011, 4:34 pm

John Lasseter is still the chief creative officer at Pixar and Walt Disney Animation Studios, so he doesn't exactly answer for Iger. In fact, one could be forgiven for saying that this was all Lasseters idea to begin with. He even said that in an interview with Total Films back in 2009, and he got the for said movie's plot when he traveled around the world doing interviews.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » March 12th, 2011, 4:44 pm

Lasseter may prefer to not engage in too many sequels, but he still did Toy Story 2 way back when, so there's certainly precedent.

And Cars 2? Pretty simple. Lasseter is Cars biggest fan, and the thing made money. As Eric said, it's far from the bomb people remember. Some of us even really like it. And yes: It made, and continues to make, even more money in merchandising. So, the question would be (from a business standpoint, and even Lasseter's perspective), why NOT make it?

Many Pixar fans might prefer to not go there, but the total audience for such a film far eclipses Internet forum geeks like us.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 13th, 2011, 7:29 pm

John Lasseter did not have the idea for Cars 2. It was the Studio's request since the merchandise was still selling long after the first film's release. It's also a cushion for Pixar's experimental John Carter project, providing a safe hit in case that flops. Lasseter wasn't - you'll remember - even the director of the film until six months ago.

And, Carl...this is really an old subject. I'm going to ask you to go back and read this entire topic before posting again, since everything that's being said now has already been said.

If you continue to post in the vein that you have been, you'll find that your access here vanishes about as fast as McQueen get rev up to 60mph.