The New DVD and Blu Thread

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
American_dog_2008

Re: The New DVD and Blu Thread

Post by American_dog_2008 » March 11th, 2011, 12:30 pm

Animals of Farthing Wood Season 2 will be out in may.

Link

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » March 15th, 2011, 4:21 pm

Announcements about Sony DVD and Blu ray releases ---
from the Digital Bits =>
"In announcement news, Image Entertainment has announced more Blu-ray titles, including a few new Sony catalog Blu-ray titles that they're releasing as part of their deal with studio. Due on 5/31 is Passion Play, followed by Apt Pupil and IMAX: Legends of Flight 3D on 6/7, Johnny Mnemonic and NBA Presents: When They Were Young on 6/14, The Medallion and Mega Python vs. Gatoroid on 6/21, and Wild Cherry and Cowboy Bebop: The Movie on 6/28. SRPs vary from $17.97 to $29.97. ...

Meanwhile, Sony has set the Oscar-nominated animated film The Illusionist (2010) for release on Blu-ray/DVD Combo pack and DVD on 5/10. Extras will reportedly include audio commentary with director Sylvain Chomet and The Making of The Illusionist (plus more TBA). "

Some good titles being released... (Not the SyFy crap like Mega Python Vs Gatoroid...)

The animation showing up in a few months...
The Illusionist (2010) on May 10th BD/DVD
Cowboy Bebop The Movie on June 28th Blu ray only; the DVD version is long out of print and Image didn't negotiate for those rights as far as I know

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re:

Post by droosan » March 15th, 2011, 4:58 pm

I picked up Bambi on Blu-ray today.

----------------

I also saw that a 'double-feature' boxed DVD set of A Boy Named Charlie Brown and Snoopy Come Home has just been released.

Still no sign of Race for Your Life, Charlie Brown or Bon Voyage, Charlie Brown on DVD anytime soon, though. :|

Hopefully, we'll at least get the 1980's Peanuts specials on DVD sometime this year.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » March 15th, 2011, 11:00 pm

I hope Warner has the rights to those two Peanuts films. I think they do, but it's frustrating that they only re-released the two already out.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 16th, 2011, 3:40 pm

Illusionist just came out here, but I think I'll wait to see what the TBC is on that US Sony edition (the added DVD is handy, for one thing).

Two films I recently saw on BD with contrasting results were 9 and Megamind. 9 I thought was absolutely wonderful; something quite unexpected and nicely done, even if a very few shots looked a bit video-gamey. But the ideas behind it (I realize, to fans of steampunk and the like, they must have been old hat) were interesting, and after finally watching the thing I can only say I'm a dolt for not getting around to it sooner.

Megamind, on the other hand...was a mega-mess, at least I felt. I know James' review liked it, but to me it was everything that is cookie-cutter, too slick and basically formulaic CG moviemaking today, from the celebrity voices to the labored gags. From the trailer I was hoping for a smart superhero movie spoof that we'd not really had, but this came up mega-short. No smart gags, and how can you really be a supervillain without any sort of abilities of your own? Apart from being blue, Megamind didn't have anything really special about him, and the film sunk without any strong characters in it.

The news camera guy who gets jolted with Metro-Man's powers (hmmm...wasn't Metro City already nabbed by the much more super The Incredibles?) was just annoying: I know you're not supposed to root for him, but he was just an ugly, nasty character without any redeeming villain qualities that would have least made him an entertaining foe. Bad movie, noisy and inconsistent, that felt like a real step back from DWs after Panda and Dragon. I'd even put on Shark Tale, with it's fun mafia movie pastiches, than this again...

Added to the pain, we also saw Knight And Day (yep, knew how bad it was supposed to be, but out of interest), and it was as bad as everyone said. It just didn't make sense, not least the name of the movie, which kind of seems to reference the Cruse character's real name, but not really, and then they blow it but not giving Diaz's character the Day surname. Again, just random, pointless filmmaking that was choppy and all over the place.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » March 16th, 2011, 8:11 pm

Megamind has Will Ferrell in it.
I just don't find the guy that funny nor am I mesmerized by most other recent SNL alums like Tina Fey. Way overrated!

Megamind gets a big mega-pass from me!

"9" is a film I've been wanting to get for about a year now. With the current sales at Best Buy and the price of this film falling to $14.99 during the May-April sale, I might pick it up.

I got the third season of Pinky and The Brain since there's a lot of TV sets on sale now for $14.99 All three volumes of a Pinky and The Brain are on sale as well as a few animated features (9 among them) and the second volumes of Season 1 of Tiny Toons Adventures.

The Illusionist was/is playing in a local art theater but I think I'm just going to wait for the US BD release.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » March 16th, 2011, 11:35 pm

The Illusionist is about to play here, but I'm not sure I'll make it. I usually wait for the BD anyhow, though I'd like to support it in theatres too if I can find the time. (We did watch Tangled with the kids on Sunday--- quite marvelous, though I still preferred TS3 and HHTYD.)

Megamind is eveything Ben said (and definitely a BIG step down from KFP or HHTYD)... but I liked it. I just did. And I'd like to see it again. No apologies, it just worked for me. OTOH, I don't think I ever want to see SharkTale again.

I bought 9 for $13.99 a long time ago, but haven't gotten around to watching it yet. Just another victim of not having enough free time. And now I have 6 DVD reviews to get done in the next couple of weeks, so it looks lke I'll be focused on those for a while. It's all good stuff, at least. (I watched All Star Superman last night... review coming soon...!!)

I just got the three recent Disney docs too, and am greatly looking forward to those, but they'll also sit on the to-be-watched pile a little while.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » March 16th, 2011, 11:37 pm

I enjoyed "9", I know it's not everybody's cup of tea but I found myself getting lost in this apocalyptic world. I liked how they built upon the original short and provided some much needed expository background to the story.

Megamind on the other hand I found very meh. I probably would have enjoyed it more if the whole Metroman storyline wasn't spoilt in the trailer. As that would have been the only plot point I would have cared about, in the end all I cared about was how are they going to explain the skeleton? This had plenty of potential for humour but it was wasted unfortunately. After the goodness of Dragon and the improvement of Shrek, this was a thud for me.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » March 22nd, 2011, 4:07 pm

I bought The Venture Brothers season 4, part 2 on DVD and Robots on Blu-ray, today.

----------------

Anastasia had been announced as a Blu-ray release for today, but it has apparently now been 'pushed back' to April 3rd.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Hewylewis » March 22nd, 2011, 5:13 pm

Actually, I saw it on blu ray at a wal-mart last week.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » March 22nd, 2011, 5:31 pm

Well .. some stores have been known to 'break' release dates before. And sometimes, they'll get harassed by studio lawyers for it.

The Best Buy in Burbank apparently has a case of Anastasia Blu-rays in its stockroom (since it was originally slated for release today) .. but they won't put them on the shelves, because of the release date change.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » March 22nd, 2011, 6:10 pm

Wal-Mart is infamous for breaking street date on releases of lesser titles.

They won't do it with a Disney or WB title for sure!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » March 22nd, 2011, 8:58 pm

Eh, sometimes all it takes is one clueless stock person who opens the wrong box (despite the fact that the box says "Do not open until -street date-" in large bolded letters). and an equally clueless manager who doesn't stay on top of these things, thus never notices.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » March 22nd, 2011, 9:17 pm

Venture is certainly on my list, though I'm so backlogged right now, I'll likely wait for a sale. Same for Robots, MINH, and Anastasia.

BTW, if anyone knows of any substantial loss of bonus material on those catalog releases (compared to the most recent DVD releases), please post it here.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 26th, 2011, 12:23 pm

From reading the specs, the MGM titles look like HD converts of their most recent SE DVDs (the Family Fun Editions), losing precious little. Robots looks like it either carries over the DVD stuff or loses a bit (wasn't a big fan of the film and haven't looked at any DVD extras). I'll likely get NIMH (MINH? ;)) and Anastasia in sales, but the Robots DVD is enough for me upscaled for the two or three times I'll ever likely watch it again. :)