Favourite whole Nine Old Men Disney Classic?

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Favourite whole Nine Old Men Disney Classic?

Post by Wonderlicious » August 17th, 2005, 1:17 pm

Believe it or not, supposedly only three films were the products of all the Nine Old Men's talents. These films were Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland and Peter Pan. Of these, which one is your favourite?

For me, I am going to say Alice in Wonderland. I understand that some have dubbed it style over substance (it lacks heart, just as The Sound of Music doesn't feature any violent scenes), but I don't care. Perhaps because this movie has sentimental value to me that makes me view it with such fondness. For one, I love the animation and art direction, especially anything Mary Blair (her work is genius). I know that some slam it in comparisson to the novel, but I quite like the adaptation. I admit that some places do actually seem a bit stiff in terms of adapting the original, but the style helps cover this up easily. Alice is my favourite animated feature (tied with Pinocchio and The Little Mermaid, I should add).

Peter Pan is in my number two in these films. The visual style isn't as strong as in Alice, but it is nice and the animation of the human characters is amazing. My only qualms are that Hook needed more screentime and at the Disney staff should not have stopped the "Oh, Tink may be dead" scene so early (they should have included Pan crying out for the children of the world's claps to save Tink, and then we hear claps and laughter set to a choir as Tink comes back to life.).

Cinderella is a little bit hazy in my memory, but probably the weakest of the three. Needless to say, it's still excellent and I can't wait for the platinum edition (less than two months now! :D).
-Joe

[i]GIRL: Do you know the way to the Magic Kingdom?
PETER PAN: Sure I do...but can you [b]fly?[/b][/i]
-Scary Disney World TV ad circa '71

[b][url=http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&sub=All&id=big_joe]My DVD List[/url][/b]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 18th, 2005, 5:57 am

Peter Pan all the way for me.

What they started with Cinders and went on to develop in Alice, they really perfected with Pan. There's so much sumptious stuff going on in that film and the story is tight and fun.

The ending is one of Walt-era Disney's most polished and lushly drawn and colored sequences that easily holds up against the cleaner computer colored lines of today. Excellent stuff.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » August 18th, 2005, 10:16 am

I'm gonna go for Peter Pan, too.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bambi » August 19th, 2005, 6:08 pm

I go for peter Pan too. my sister dont like it but i love it (not so much ass bambi)
I got "twitterpated" by Faline...
[img]http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d53/bambidude/BAMBISIGMetallica.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 23rd, 2005, 2:21 pm

Pinnochio. I think Bill Tytla did Stromboli.

I mean, check out Pleasure Island. Lampwick's transformation. Pinnochio diving into the sea....it's a classic all the way. ALL THEY WAY.
That's my opinon. :wink:

Peter Pan is a good movie but for some reason I never dug it much. :oops: I love Spielberg's Hook, but the new Peter Pan that came out two years ago is my fave version so far. :)

Believe it or not Paramount was supposed to make a Peter Pan live-action film back in the 80's starring Michael Jackson. (directed by Spielberg) It stalled for a while, and because of all the "issues" that were going around Jackson even then, it was never made....oh wait it was. (J/K)
:twisted: You know, that "Chocolate" film.... :wink:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bambi » August 23rd, 2005, 4:30 pm

well i dont like Hook...
I dont think that is a very good movie...
[img]http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d53/bambidude/BAMBISIGMetallica.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 26th, 2005, 12:35 pm

How come?
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bambi » August 26th, 2005, 3:48 pm

I got bored, but if you liked it thats well... this is my opinion :lol